Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 368319 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1200 on: February 28, 2015, 11:49:08 pm »

Is it possible to just replace everything with a modern style and have it be a Sentient AI instead of a Demon lord?

I would not recommend trying to undertake such a massive modding project.
You underestimate the lengths people on the internet will do if they're given the tools to do it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #1201 on: February 28, 2015, 11:52:11 pm »

But is it... Pooossiible?

You could certainly redo the map easily to make things look modern, and make a "Rogue AI" Old One with flavorful abilities.  You could then disable all fantasy and eldritch events which would relatively ground your campaign in a "realistic" feel, but the problem is that the game actions and mechanics are all firmly rooted in "medieval" attempts at subterfuge and war.  If you wanted a truly thematic overhaul you'd need to modify all of those to not just make sense thematically but also function more appropriately for the modern (or futuristic) era.

Hmm, How easy is it to mod in new ability's and such? because to me all it would take would be a re-sprite of all the things, change music, change some ability's around and instead of hero's you get Hacker's and instead of Foodmills and such you'd probably get internet streams.

New abilities are very easy to add in, and you could certainly do what you mentioned above with relative ease.  However I think you would be underwhelmed with the final product unless you overhauled the fundamental mechanics of the game - though if you do pull it off I'll be the first in line to play your mod.

When does this hit Steam?

We would like to launch this summer but we won't be releasing until the beta backers give the game the all-clear.  We are fortunate enough to have funding for the foreseeable future so we're going to make sure that the game, which has seen substantial changes in the last 4 months, is as polished as it can be.

Is it possible to just replace everything with a modern style and have it be a Sentient AI instead of a Demon lord?

I would not recommend trying to undertake such a massive modding project.
You underestimate the lengths people on the internet will do if they're given the tools to do it.

haha, true enough and I would never discourage someone from a passionate project.  It is just my personal opinion that the game won't translate well to the modern era without modification verging on building a new game.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 28, 2015, 11:56:02 pm »

After some Skyrim mods I've seen, I wouldn't even be surprised.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: March 01, 2015, 01:25:00 am »

So what I'm hearing is that it's theoretically possible, and the provided modding tools support it, but it's an insane undertaking?

I'm sure someone out there's crazy enough to try it.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: March 01, 2015, 01:55:37 am »

Well, as long as the base game is good enough to attract and keep people around... You'll get a modder of that tier out of that...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: March 01, 2015, 08:26:08 am »

Well, as long as the base game is good enough to attract and keep people around... You'll get a modder of that tier out of that...

Indeed. [PS. We need to dispel Stardock's charm person spell, which has been casted @ Kael. :D]

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: March 02, 2015, 12:36:59 am »

Problem is that those kind of mods tend to break when update happens, then the modder can't be arsed to update.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: March 02, 2015, 02:00:22 am »

I am guessing you don't follow the Crusader King II modding community? EVERY update breaks every mod...yet most, especially the bigger ones...keep at it...and if the original team doesn't they almost always hand it off

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: March 02, 2015, 03:49:47 am »

I guess I'm just kind of jaded from the Minecraft modding community.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: March 02, 2015, 09:29:29 am »

I am guessing you don't follow the Crusader King II modding community? EVERY update breaks every mod...yet most, especially the bigger ones...keep at it...and if the original team doesn't they almost always hand it off

Yeah, the Paradox modding community was always decent imho, and I play Paradox games [+mods of course] since many years..

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: March 09, 2015, 08:21:52 am »

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: March 09, 2015, 09:42:09 am »

For those who haven't backed, the update says the following:

- Scenario Editor is nearly done and modding videos will be released in a couple of days.
- POI's will now have sublevels. These can be districts (Noble quarters, Market, Docks, etc.) which influence each others and regions (Outskirts, Mine, Forest), which are more independent of one another.
- There's going to be an overhaul of the ritual system. Ley lines will be added which make rituals stronger but if too many ley lines cross things might go kaboom. Ley lines can be moved and even corrupted.
- TWS is also upgrading to Unity 5 which for some technowizardy reasons is a good thing apparently.  :)

The Dino's are also answering all sorts of questions in the beta backer forums so their level of feedback is still amazing.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: March 09, 2015, 10:00:18 am »

The new PoI & ritual system sounds awesome btw. Diversity & complexity = the more the better!  8)

Also, the new screenshot looks decent! [Side note: Perhaps the font type should be changed to a "fantasy/medieval font" type. The numbers are looking excellent.]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:08:15 am by gimli »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1213 on: March 09, 2015, 10:04:41 am »

Excitement level upgraded to moderate. pls send help. Hype train is on schedule.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 13, 2015, 10:32:23 pm »

The FAQ on their website says closed beta begins this month, is this still on schedule? And if I buy it from their website now, do I get access to this closed beta?
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 210