Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 368387 times)

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #660 on: October 05, 2014, 03:50:53 pm »

I've articulated about how I'm feeling about playing games before they're done, in .jpg

Yeah, I just treat Early Access as preordering - I've bought several games on Early Access just to support it but then I almost always wait until it's fully released.  Bought Clockwork Empires just the other day but not going to touch it until it hits full release, that and I only let myself play a game after reaching a significant development milestone. 
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Romanul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 05, 2014, 03:51:04 pm »

@KingDinosaurGames:

Wow, that was a really complex game you had in mind. I'm impressed. On the bright side, the only thing I don't mind gone is the multilayer.

As a Crusader Kings fan, I am most impressed with political system charted per government. That would have been interesting to have even only if its for the fun factor. In the end evil doesn't necessary need to be efficient, he can corrupt lesser being just because of envy etc.

One more aspect that I've being meaning to ask you about. If I understand correctly donations through your site count to the KS goals. How are they going?
Also, would it help you from a cost perspective to donate thorough your site rather KS?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #662 on: October 05, 2014, 04:03:14 pm »

@KingDinosaurGames:

Wow, that was a really complex game you had in mind. I'm impressed. On the bright side, the only thing I don't mind gone is the multilayer.

As a Crusader Kings fan, I am most impressed with political system charted per government. That would have been interesting to have even only if its for the fun factor. In the end evil doesn't necessary need to be efficient, he can corrupt lesser being just because of envy etc.

One more aspect that I've being meaning to ask you about. If I understand correctly donations through your site count to the KS goals. How are they going?
Also, would it help you from a cost perspective to donate thorough your site rather KS?

Well we accomplish a lot of what we wanted with the different government types by creating "Actions per Government Type",  where actions are available to a Leader based on his government type, personality type, ability, and culture.  We did lose the behind-the-scenes politicking but it didn't seem to make sense in a game of this scale, retaining it only at the highest level.

I'd have to check with Joe but I believe last time I checked it was <500.  I'd leave it up to you as far as backing is concerned, whatever you are more comfortable with.  We lose something like 7% through KS and 3% through the site I believe, and for tax purposes they're considered the same. KS, while taking a higher percentage, has the intangible benefit of being a public contribution. 
That Which Sleeps

Vordrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: October 05, 2014, 04:32:08 pm »

I love this game. I put down my $50 and I would like to see a demo / early access build. I might even write a preview on my blog.

Please? Need early access ...

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #664 on: October 05, 2014, 04:43:29 pm »

I love this game. I put down my $50 and I would like to see a demo / early access build. I might even write a preview on my blog.

Please? Need early access ...

At $50 you are in the Beta Tier, which is absolutely happening - we're just talking about an even earlier preview build in the form of a demo.
That Which Sleeps

Vordrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 05, 2014, 05:21:05 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:11:38 pm by Toady One »

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 06, 2014, 02:07:36 am »

I know this is derailing the conversation from the kickstarter, but I have a bunch of questions about how the armies are represented:

So how large are the military armies supposed to be? Are they represented by an abstract "health bar" for each unit or do we see an actual number of how many men are in each regiment? Are armies made from the population of where they are spawned, and how do these cities react to a mass amount of people being taken from their cities this way and possibly killed, if they can react to it at all? How much information does each army give (assuming max-infiltration or control) on its individual regiments (like which culture they belong, which city they spawned from, etc)?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 06, 2014, 03:25:52 am »

I just thought of something that I think would add to the stories generated by the game quite a bit, if it isn't in there already.
Is there a log kept during the game of what the various entities are doing? Hero X went to POI Y on turn Z or something like that? Because if that were the case (or gets added on or whatever) then that could really assist people in doing interesting writeups of their game, or writing a run through of their game from the Chosen One's perspective or something.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 06, 2014, 03:42:26 am »

PTW. Looks aight.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: October 06, 2014, 03:53:36 am »

Cities originally had a lot more detail then they have now, we were going to have a very simple district system that let you slowly corrupt areas of the city, wage guild and thief wars, and be able to secure a district as your stronghold.  Heroes would have to retake districts from you, slowly fighting for control.  It was actually a very fun system and pretty lightweight for the depth that was offered, but the supporting elements to really actualize it would have cost far too much - and the asset requirement was fairly high.

Any chance of this making its way back in ? this sounds amazing!
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: October 06, 2014, 04:01:27 am »

I just thought of something that I think would add to the stories generated by the game quite a bit, if it isn't in there already.
Is there a log kept during the game of what the various entities are doing? Hero X went to POI Y on turn Z or something like that? Because if that were the case (or gets added on or whatever) then that could really assist people in doing interesting writeups of their game, or writing a run through of their game from the Chosen One's perspective or something.

This sounds like a really cool idea. It would be really cool to see what the world was actually up to during the game and it could also help a lot with looking for bugs and improving the AI during the Beta phase.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: October 06, 2014, 07:49:41 am »

Will this game be USB portable? I use different computers frequently due to circumstances so it'll be useful to know if I can carry entire folder around without leaving artefacts on the host computer.

Also, how is PayPal donations doing?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #672 on: October 06, 2014, 09:56:24 am »

I know this is derailing the conversation from the kickstarter, but I have a bunch of questions about how the armies are represented:

So how large are the military armies supposed to be? Are they represented by an abstract "health bar" for each unit or do we see an actual number of how many men are in each regiment? Are armies made from the population of where they are spawned, and how do these cities react to a mass amount of people being taken from their cities this way and possibly killed, if they can react to it at all? How much information does each army give (assuming max-infiltration or control) on its individual regiments (like which culture they belong, which city they spawned from, etc)?

Armies can get pretty large, multiple tens of thousand, but generally are smaller then that.  The way armies work is that the "base unit" which is unique for the government type acts as hit points, with each hit point being a soldier.  So you may recruit 5,000 Levies from the feudal kingdom which are your base, but the actual tactics of combat come down to the smaller elite units which you choose to deploy or hold back as strategy dictates.  So all of those levies are merely meant to hold the line while you properly utilize your Elite Cavalry or Heavy Infantry units.   

Oh yes, POIs do not enjoy their people being drafted - it has an immediate effect on morale and security, and may also lower the yield of the farmlands - which is even more compounded by the fact that a mustered army consumes food.  We don't show the POI Spawned from but you will see the culture on infiltration, as well as the other militarily relevant statistics.

Yep, you can see action histories on agents, heroes, armies, etc.

Cities originally had a lot more detail then they have now, we were going to have a very simple district system that let you slowly corrupt areas of the city, wage guild and thief wars, and be able to secure a district as your stronghold.  Heroes would have to retake districts from you, slowly fighting for control.  It was actually a very fun system and pretty lightweight for the depth that was offered, but the supporting elements to really actualize it would have cost far too much - and the asset requirement was fairly high.

Any chance of this making its way back in ? this sounds amazing!

haha, no chance at this point - it was pretty interesting but it was practically a game unto itself.

Will this game be USB portable? I use different computers frequently due to circumstances so it'll be useful to know if I can carry entire folder around without leaving artefacts on the host computer.

Also, how is PayPal donations doing?

We are compiling on Unity which is itself USB portable so you shouldn't have an issue, but I haven't tested this.

EDIT: I can get a full list of dependencies for you, as long as the computer satisfies these you can simply move the folder structure

Still <$500 on Paypal front
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:50:38 pm by KingDinosaurGames »
That Which Sleeps

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 06, 2014, 04:31:29 pm »

Playing Shadow of Mordor and fighting The Tower of Sauron got an agent in my brain. 

What about a hellraiser-looking demon with will-breaking abilities and corrupting abilities at very low will, and a scheme that lets him fully assume the form of a hero he's killed?  I'm assuming people don't immediately learn about a hero's death if nobody saw it.  He hunts down and murders a hero, takes his form, and as long as nobody knows the guy's dead he can infiltrate like that.

And his combat abilities are more along the lines of what we see the Tower doing in-game, fucking with people's heads, making them see relive traumatic events and see everyone they've killed, then warping them towards the dark side when their will is very low.  But maybe that's more in a scheme's power level.  Maybe this is really more along the lines of two separate heroes
Shoes...

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #674 on: October 06, 2014, 05:49:37 pm »

Playing Shadow of Mordor and fighting The Tower of Sauron got an agent in my brain. 

What about a hellraiser-looking demon with will-breaking abilities and corrupting abilities at very low will, and a scheme that lets him fully assume the form of a hero he's killed?  I'm assuming people don't immediately learn about a hero's death if nobody saw it.  He hunts down and murders a hero, takes his form, and as long as nobody knows the guy's dead he can infiltrate like that.

And his combat abilities are more along the lines of what we see the Tower doing in-game, fucking with people's heads, making them see relive traumatic events and see everyone they've killed, then warping them towards the dark side when their will is very low.  But maybe that's more in a scheme's power level.  Maybe this is really more along the lines of two separate heroes

Oh man I really like that - it's also a lot of interesting programming work so it's even better.  However we pretty much have all the Agent's spoken for at this point - this could be modded in but only through a callout so it would require actual coding. 

I'll put this aside for when we do make more agents, pretty solid idea.

EDIT:  The more I think of it the more I like this - and it actually could be supported without custom coding.  We have a "trigger" clue that you can drop - so on the kill we trigger an event, the event allows you to choose to assume the hero if no heroes remained in the battle and the order of the POI is < X (to represent it being an isolated area - or maybe we ignore this, not sure).  If you choose to it drops a clue tied to event Y, event Y triggers on the Hero who discloses it and he gets a modifier that will allow him to know your identity, and an imperative based on desire to spread the now deciphered clue so knowledge of who you are would spread as per the usual clue system.  Meanwhile, your agent is changed into an Infiltrated Hero - which we could handle either by you temporarily losing control and letting him act as a Hero until you want to reactive him, or simply giving you a set bonus based on that hero's relationships.   

Not as good as doing it custom coding, but it would work. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:17:35 pm by KingDinosaurGames »
That Which Sleeps
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 210