Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 367613 times)

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- in development
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2014, 02:08:38 pm »

Does it come with an editor? Considering you say scenarios are very easy to build, a scenario editor might be just the thing for the community to break continually develop the game

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2014, 03:03:03 pm »

I've put a lot of working making sure every object in the game has a helper class for serialization and other helper functions related to modding, which lets us do a lot of editor work with little effort.

Editor screenshots: (the editor is really ugly but it's a low priority aesthetics wise)

Build Menu - used to just drag and drop points on the map, or if you swap to a different mode you can drag and drop roads, naval connections, and a few other options

Edit Menu - click on any object ton the map to edit its properties in a menu similar to the previous placeholder art (I doubt I'll ever upgrade the editor art but who knows), all of the menus on the left let you edit the properties of the scenario, create alternate versions, change the old ones, turn off defaults, and override global values like Spawn Rates for heroes.  Let's say you wanted to play against 100% mage heroes, you could go in here change percent global spawn for mge heroes to 100% there you go.

We are planning on doing an Editor Video, but that will be the last one before the trailer - mostly because when we posted information about modding we got the least amount of interest, which I was really surprised by.  Put a LOT of work into the in-game editor so I was really hoping people would be excited.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2014, 10:57:43 am »

I think people will be far more excited about the editor once they can play the game.  It's hard to get excited about the editor for a game you never played!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2014, 11:07:26 am »

If you do well, what's next?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2014, 11:19:20 am »

ptw
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2014, 11:34:47 am »

Update: No one cared about DevLog Video #1 so we'll be posting it today, DevLog Video #2 is getting picked up probably because it has gameplay footage - so that's good news - should be up early next week.

If we do well on the Kickstarter we will have Stretch goals - however we will be sure to explain that the stretch goals are NOT part of the initial release.  The game is working fine right now and I don't want to delay the fully functional release, but there are a LOT of additional features that got cut that we want to add back in as Expansion packs.  If we hit the stretch goals we'll develop and release those for free.

My number one loss was (and I've written about this a lot because it really hurt) Religions, Cults, and Other Deities.  The complexity of the system and the way it would need to interact with all the other systems in play would have required a lot more time than we had, and it would have required additional art resources which are a huge constraining factor for us.  It was a core feature during our initial alpha, but fleshing it just wasn't feasible so we took it out - still makes me sad every time I think about it. 

Outside of that there's several ideas we bandied about, we'll probably let the community decide which one is of most interest.
That Which Sleeps

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2014, 01:11:35 pm »

Sounds exciting!  So we would be seeing video #2 on some gaming websites soon?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2014, 02:04:00 pm »

Big decision we made about the Chosen One was that if he is "removed from the picture"  before you awaken then fate "weaves another Champion." (think of it as, 'oh we misinterpreted this line of the prophecy')

I know it sounds like a cop-out and maybe it is, but the gameplay ramifications of insisting this one single hero be the key to the entire game seemed to dead-end a lot of other fun possibilities.  So instead, if you successfully identify and kill/corrupt the Chosen One it is a powerful blow to the forces of good and obviously a fantastic Agent to have.  It resets all of the Chosen One's campaigns and engagements, and marks another lower level hero as the new Chosen One.
I actually disagree. I personally like the idea of the chosen one being a role, not a specific person, so if you remove the person from that role, then fate chooses another agent to oppose you. It's not you misinterpreting the prophecy, it's you breaking the prophecies and forcing fate to make another hero.

I do know that your post is like a week old, but I still felt like giving my two cents anyways.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2014, 04:05:45 pm »

I think I like the misinterpretation idea.  It makes sense, the world could be convinced that he's the chosen one and losing him is obviously devastating to morale and everything and at the same time if he fails he obviously wasn't the chosen one. 
Shoes...

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2014, 10:15:03 pm »

DevLog Video 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-VRnQ7piJg&feature=youtu.be

Watch in 720p or you won't be able to read the smaller text

I swear I'm not underwater I just have a terrible microphone - ordered a new one for Videos 3-5 but I already recorded the second one.
That Which Sleeps

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2014, 10:18:12 pm »

I swear I'm not underwater
A ha! You reveal yourself, Cthulhu!

Also oh my god this thing is getting me more and more excited.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:37:36 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Migue5356

• Bay Watcher
  • grisha5
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2014, 11:22:41 pm »

Dang, so many modifiers even before starting the game!
Really excited about DevLog #2
]hi guys,im back, who was missing me?

Y-you know. I'm just going to leave. You've all managed to thoroughly horrify me...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2014, 11:43:08 pm »

Hyped as fuuuuck.

Also my predictions, hell yeah.  Didn't guess Sisyphus, not sure I like him much, but the others all sound great.  I'm sold on Azlan now.  And Belial also sounds cool, I like the idea of the town full of crows, all of them watching.

Shoes...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2014, 11:45:08 pm »

And I'm equally hyped for the inevitable Wheel of Time/Game of Thrones/Lord of the Rings mods that'll come out.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2014, 11:48:20 pm »

I'm still in the Black Company hype.  The Shrine or whatever choice you can make kind of reminds me of the Black Castle.

And it'd be easy to make a Dominator god, or something similar.  I was thinking a giant eyeball god with both their powers.  Can do the Eye and absorb a character's memories, get a full report on everything about them, their memories, clues, relationships, goals, stats, everything.  And eventually can Take heroes, irrevocably claiming them and giving them new unique powers.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 210