Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 367021 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- in development
« Reply #225 on: September 04, 2014, 02:15:32 pm »

Well to be fair, that's all Toady. We're just helping where we can (by firing the hype canon randomly and indiscriminately into crowds of bystanders.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 04, 2014, 02:26:57 pm »

I think it's more like drone striking.  For every one person who ends up loving dorf, there's three or four people on the same forum who are annoyed by the shenanigans.
Shoes...

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 05, 2014, 12:33:33 am »

So, when you said that you haven't actually spoken about the actual game play, any chance you can correct that then? Also, any advice for how to spend your first few turns in the game? Say, don't bunch up your agents, a certain government doesn't actually work like you would think it does, that sort of thing?

Also, is the demo going to include the other map shown at the beginning, the Black Sea one? How different is that map from the "main" one and how different are the starting scenario options for it? Do you get to play with different elder gods, or are the options all the same, just leading the "locations" that the start options change depending on the map?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:39:13 am by Jalak »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 05, 2014, 12:54:36 am »

I take it there is no playable version of this out yet? I only skimmed the thread and checked the site. Seems interesting as a concept, but I want to get my hands on something before judgment.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #229 on: September 05, 2014, 01:40:11 am »

You'll get a good sense of the mechanics with the next three videos, primarily you are performing challenges that take time based on your skill with the challenge vs the defensive stat of the POI and any defending heroes.  Everything feeds from that basic concept, including heroes attempting to disrupt your actions and events that spawn from the challenge based on traits and abilities.

I actually talk a bit about opening strategy in the second video, which has not yet been posted (I will be posting it tomorrow if it still doesn't go up).   The most confusing part of the game for the player is that the entire map is open for you to work with - you can summon your agents into any spot on the map and set them to work.  However, it also simply lets you pursue the strategy that appeals to you, ally with that nearby orc kingdom, try to overthrow a republic and plant one of your agents in control, foment war between two nations, start trade wars by encouraging guild growth, burn farmlands to create an international famine, hunt for ancient artifacts inside ancient ruins, rush to get a powerful agent and leverage his abiltiies, and of course my favorite "assassinate every king in the game" - it makes the AI so paranoid.

A little concerned that no channels are picking up the videos (except RPGWatch), so we may be putting together a trailer next week - if I post it here first you guys want to give me some feedback so I can quickly make any edits before sending it out?

No demo yet - it's probably a month out.  Only The North Burns will be in the demo, the Black Seas is actually a testbed for Guilds and Naval movement/combat, which is still being fleshed out.  The AI currently has some difficulties with anything outside straight military convoys, and it's easy to just move agents between ports without problems.  The Black Seas will undoubtedly show up in some form, but I think it will be adjusted to match a stronger overall theme.  We are working on another Scenario that involves an Empire and its colonies, but content is ahead of development at this point (due to KS planning/marketing). 
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 05, 2014, 01:52:44 am »

Any plans to combine these scenarios into one mega-scenario eventually? I think people would love a megascenario. Alternatively, any chance of minor - major - global scenario structure? So you could, say, choose from five starting locations, doing your thing on a regional level. Once you dominate the region, you move onto a continental level. Once you win, you move on to a global level. The starting locations you didn't choose would have, in the meanwhile, been dominated by other interests.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 05, 2014, 05:18:58 am »

That seems like it might work out kind of weird.  Does he go back to sleep to attack another zone or is it a military conquest?  Wouldn't the next country just stomp you down because they already know what you're capable of and a big part of what we've heard so far is "The world powers, united and willing to sacrifice themselves, will always win?"

Also Azlan can apparently fully absorb reality into his dreams and remake it from the ground up, which is more than a regional effect.
Shoes...

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 05, 2014, 08:42:45 am »

This game sounds so good. I've already mentioned it to three friends and we all agree it sounds fantastic. If it's able to implemented and not completely screwed(see Elemental), it'll be something I can see myself getting endless fun from.

Can we please please please see the maps? (At least of The North Burns?)
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 05, 2014, 08:58:34 am »

Edit: Oops, double post, but I may as well throw a question: what are the requirements for this game to run roughly?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 09:04:49 am by Little »
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 05, 2014, 09:21:03 am »

Got my brother interested in this game too, and he has a question:

Are there any rituals that you can do that have a longer, passive effect on the world? I don't mean long-term as in, say, causing a one-time blight to destroy crops and the subsequent fallout screwing everyone over later, but more like various spells that have an active effect for as long as the ritual is "active" such as lowering order, making people go insane etc.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 05, 2014, 01:20:30 pm »

if I post it here first you guys want to give me some feedback so I can quickly make any edits before sending it out?

Yeah we can do that.

Also, and I'm speaking as someone who wants the videos, I'd just post them. If people haven't posted them by Noon wherever they are, chances are they'll do a 5pm release if it all. Put another way, it doesn't seem like anyone is eager to get the scoop on video #2, unfortunately.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 05, 2014, 01:23:38 pm »

Sadly so, since that one was gonna be one of the interesting ones.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 05, 2014, 05:12:23 pm »

It's 5:12, I'm off work, and there is no TWS news to consume. :(

Fun fact, this thread is #3 on a Google search for TWS.

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 05, 2014, 10:59:00 pm »

You could also try reaching out to the let's play community on youtube. I have to thank Totalbiscuit for some of my games from his "wtf is-" series. Jefmajor and Grimith also have their own niche crowd and would probably love to help you out if you ask really really nicely (the latter of which would love this sort of game, judging by what he plays).

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #239 on: September 06, 2014, 04:49:09 am »

Looks like empty air as far as video #2 - so here it is DevLog #2.

Keep in mind that some of the assets you see there are Alpha and what we are looking to replace.

As far as rituals that have long-lasting passive effects, oh  yes - quite a few.  We designed the game to have those type of important conflicts, where you are struggling to finish the ritual and heroes are drawn to stop you.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 210