Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 367028 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2010 on: March 13, 2016, 12:13:09 pm »

I feel like the major good reason not to release a game like that early, is if it would spoil the plot or something, but this is an emergent strategy game, people other than the dev should be playing the early, broken builds!

Otherwise the dev will never find all the crazy possible ways to combine the systems.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: March 13, 2016, 07:19:40 pm »

It's pretty obvious plenty of work is still getting done based on those screens. Art, writing, development.

My guess is they'd rather move ahead working at this point then get bogged down in short comings of a beta. There's always going to be short comings, but, based on the way things have currently gone, I can imagine the project getting bogged down because the dev team has issues prioritizing work, communicating and so forth. Getting into the regular release/bug fixing cycle might hinder development at this point. On the other hand, the longer the game goes without real backer input, the less likely it is it can change in time for release.

Then what did I pay for?  We already found out the mod backer bonus was a waste, are they gonna drop beta too?  Yaeh yeah, it's an investmetn and not a preorder and all, but considering the way this dev cycle has gone that would be kind of a middle finger.

I think what's going on is one of the following:

1.  The game's still broken and he's endlessly polishing the UI and shit while he bails water out of an already sunken ship.
2.  The game's fixed or mostly fixed but he's endlessly polishing the UI because that seems to be his thing.
3.  The game's fake.  I don't really believe this one anymore.
4.  It's on the way to being finished.  I'm not sure I  believe this one anymore.  We're at the point that my hype has basically evaporated and I have trouble remembering why I used to be excited.

Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: March 13, 2016, 07:39:06 pm »

Not that I necessarily disagree with all your raeg, but, releasing the client a month early to backers before actual release would count as a backer beta. Which is still feasible.

I get the feeling shit would still be this bad had a beta gotten released. Dev would be overworked, possibly show stopping bugs wouldn't be getting fixed, progress would still be slow, communication would be spotty and backers would be questioning the legitimacy of the project. Would you rather be half hooked into a project that you think is failing you, or at a distance?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: March 14, 2016, 09:02:24 am »

Just got an e-mail for That Which Sleeps.  To sum it up, it's, "Yes, we are still working on it, Yes I know we are bad at communication, we will try to be better, Here are some screenshots."
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: March 14, 2016, 10:47:38 am »

Kickstarter update? Wut? Still Chugging Along.

"I apologize for the long break between updates and I don't fault anyone for being frustated with us in our lack of communication or our extremely questionable ability to hit deadlines - but we promise that we're still working hard and getting a little closer everyday. -KDG"

"We're going to do better. -KDG"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:59:47 am by gimli »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: March 14, 2016, 10:51:30 am »

Hush little abomination, go back to sleep.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: March 14, 2016, 11:21:58 am »

I'm actually pretty surprised that there hasn't been a greater "he promised us videos months ago, he disappeared, and now he provides *screenshots*?!?!?" response.
With hope, they actually will manage to get back onto a better communication cycle.

Aqma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: March 14, 2016, 11:51:02 am »

That's pure human psychology I think, everybody was so sure that it is dead that now any news that it is still being worked on is basically considered good - expectations were/are that low ...

Anyway PTW, still looking at this from time to time hoping it will get released at some point. Sounds very promising.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: March 14, 2016, 12:06:01 pm »

Yeah, I now have better pet projects to anticipate (Rain World etc.) so hopefully this slumbering monstrosity went somewhere by the time they are released. At this point, they might as well have their major announcement be release of the beta version. As in, finished and ready to distribute rather than another deadline.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: March 14, 2016, 02:31:06 pm »

Now it is a competition about whether this or Stellaris gets (something playable) out first.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: March 14, 2016, 02:39:13 pm »

"We will be posting a few screenshots each Saturday"

Let's see how long it lasts.

The biomancer stuff looks cool though. I think that's the worst part – I'd really like this game to succeed and be good, but that's not the way the signs are pointing.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: March 19, 2016, 09:10:55 pm »

New pictures have arrived!

And the homepage has currently this sitting where the previous pre-order option was:
Pre-orders temporarily closed as we get close to
Early Access release! Thank you for your support.

Its happening?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: March 19, 2016, 10:06:01 pm »

*Slowburn hype continues*

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: March 19, 2016, 10:10:09 pm »

That hype never died.  It just slumbers, awaiting the time of awakening.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: March 20, 2016, 04:05:46 am »

The preorders closed thing has been there for probably close to a month.  It's not happening, at least any sooner than we thought it was.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 210