Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 368151 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1485 on: September 15, 2015, 01:04:51 am »

I just hope this doesn't go the route of the Forsaken Fortress. It was a promising post-apocalyptic basebuilding/team exploration & combat game that changed between first and third person several times. This blew all the money the team had and the project was abandoned. It was a successful kickstart that failed to deliver because the team dithered around and didn't stay focused, instead rebuilding the game from scratch several times.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: September 15, 2015, 01:09:25 am »

I just hope this doesn't go the route of the Forsaken Fortress. It was a promising post-apocalyptic basebuilding/team exploration & combat game that changed between first and third person several times. This blew all the money the team had and the project was abandoned. It was a successful kickstart that failed to deliver because the team dithered around and didn't stay focused, instead rebuilding the game from scratch several times.

Glad I dodged that bullet, I was tempted to back.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: September 15, 2015, 08:39:38 am »

For those interested but not at a backer level, I just posted some art from the assets on the forums. Since I'm lazy I'll just copy my post over here.

Armies:
- Deep One
- Dwarf
- Horrors
- Human Adventurer
- Undead

Events contains a lot of images, but the art varies a bit, mostly in tone but also a bit in quality.

- Alliance
- Camp
- Portents

These are nice and show what most images look like. But there are also some that I find contrasting with the rest:
- Crawlforth
- Interrogation
- Tribe Civilizes

These are a bit more cartoony/campy than I'd like.

Next up Factions, these also include the Mi-Go and Court of Bone:
- Brood
- Djinni
- Tsathoggua

You might have heard something from the mod tiers about the weird god images, now revel in all their glory:

- The Holy Ice Cream Cone of Dropping

Heraldry has also not been shown much, but it is about what you'd expect:
- Middle Eastern
- Minotaur
- Orc

Institutions have also not been seen since the kickstarter:
- Arms Merchants
- Magic Order
- Underworld guild

And because everybody likes them, some portraits:
- Lizardman Sage
- Generic Adventurer
- Gnome Adventurer
- Tibetan Priest
- Venetian Noble

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: September 15, 2015, 09:38:10 am »

The art style really is all over the place. Part of me like the more painted art style, but another part of me wishes they'd gone with something simpler, and more charming. Or at least more cohesive. Not like the anime art they had before, but something between that and the (totally sweet) Old One images.

On the other hand, the art does sort of give me that "Magic The Gathering" vibe.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:46:49 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: September 15, 2015, 10:33:32 am »

hmm well even if they release it dont forget its still beta or alpha or something, so art will propably change. Although i really like that smoking ogre.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: September 15, 2015, 12:15:05 pm »

The art varies so much because from what I understand literally all of it is from freelance artists and other sources. They have no permanent artist last I checked

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: September 15, 2015, 01:49:49 pm »

I find the smoking ogre rather charming myself. He doesn't match the more extreme stuff, but he looks like a cool guy. I like him.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1492 on: September 15, 2015, 05:02:20 pm »

The art style really is all over the place. Part of me like the more painted art style, but another part of me wishes they'd gone with something simpler, and more charming. Or at least more cohesive. Not like the anime art they had before, but something between that and the (totally sweet) Old One images.

On the other hand, the art does sort of give me that "Magic The Gathering" vibe.
I was going to say the same thing. The art style is incredibly inconsistent. Many of the smaller icons are really vague. Can you even tell the undead is undead if you look only at the picture? Why does the deep one look like he is holding a pair of sticks? Why is there a smirking smoking disney ogre?

I mean I'll probably enjoy the game regardless, I play games in ascii without really worrying too much about art, but it just strikes me as odd. The last game I saw with such an inconsistent art style was A Valley Without Wind and it really bothered me at the time because the styles clashed.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: September 15, 2015, 05:16:02 pm »

Gameplay > Design

Anyway, as I said on the forums there, it's a bit of a release something we can touch or riot

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: September 15, 2015, 09:44:32 pm »

Glad I dodged that bullet, I was tempted to back.

To be fair, it's not actually dead. They released a Demo of it to backers last month.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: September 16, 2015, 12:06:55 am »

Regarding the art: at this point only the portraits and faction art (of those I just showed) are definitive. Most of the events are also keepers, but the rest is Beta level assets, their art budget isn't gone yet and they have plenty of money left.

I still think the army icons are pretty clear, they will of course be small since they have to fit on the map next to a POI.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: September 16, 2015, 01:30:27 pm »

I'm not getting where the negativity in these posts is coming from: they have an ambitious game, they have regular updates with details about game features in development.

They are behind on (the internet's imaginary) deadlines: but so what?

They are working on it full time and aren't out of money.  I'm still quite optimistic about this.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: September 16, 2015, 01:34:50 pm »

I dont get it either...I assume lack of patience + sense of entitlement

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: September 16, 2015, 01:35:16 pm »

I'm not disagreeing with you, but, point in fact: they have missed almost all of their own stated deadlines. This is like the 3rd time they've rolled back the mod tools release.

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: September 16, 2015, 01:47:25 pm »

Must be easy to be optimistic when you just delete inconvenient facts from your worldview. Every milestone they've promised has been delayed if not outright abandoned. If we were publishers and not suckers, sorry I mean backers, then KDG would be in big trouble right now.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 210