Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone finding any hemp?  (Read 4779 times)

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
Anyone finding any hemp?
« on: August 08, 2014, 04:37:10 am »

Anyone got any tips on finding hemp? 

I managed to find it on my first embark on the new version, but I haven't found any since.

Hemp is pretty awesome, it gives you cloth like rope reed and flour like longland grass all in one crop.

I know it grows on any temperate biome, but I've tried temperate grassland, shrubland, and conifer forest so far but no dice.

I keep getting rope reed and stupid oats and millet, but no hemp.

Is it just random and rare and I am just unlucky?

Getix Kain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone finding any hemp?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 05:04:12 am »

Check the merchants (Elves, especially). They might have seeds. ;)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 05:06:05 am »

Funny you should say that... since .40.01 dawned, I have never had an elf bring any seeds for anything, or plain cloth.  Eventually if you bribe them, by year 3 or so they will show up with wood, but never seeds or cloth.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 05:26:02 am »

Yup the only things I buy from the elves is fruit and animals, every thing else is useless.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 06:22:52 am »

It's random, but more likely, you are just glancing past it: There's a damn lot of plants in this release.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 06:27:26 am »

Anyone got any tips on finding hemp? 

I managed to find it on my first embark on the new version, but I haven't found any since.

Hemp is pretty awesome, it gives you cloth like rope reed and flour like longland grass all in one crop.

I know it grows on any temperate biome, but I've tried temperate grassland, shrubland, and conifer forest so far but no dice.

I keep getting rope reed and stupid oats and millet, but no hemp.

Is it just random and rare and I am just unlucky?

I do not only have hemp, I also used plant it. It is more than flour and cloth, it is also a source of oil which can be used to make soap. Unfortunately I lost all seeds due to this. I found new plants, but was too busy to acquire them.

BTW other plants used to make oil/soap in unmodified game are quarry bush, flax, cotton and kenaf. Also supposedly oil can be made from olives, but since olives are produced by trees I had no chance to test them.

I'm not sure if they are rare, I found mine in warm temperate freshwater/saltwater swamp. I can't find flax (flax also gives flour and cloth) or cotton there, so to me hemp is not rare. Since there are tons of crops maybe you're just unlucky with hemp, try to search for flax.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 10:37:30 am »

Hemp is like the plump helmet of the surface. So useful!

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 12:24:29 pm »

[ S]upposedly oil can be made from olives, but since olives are produced by trees I had no chance to test them.

If you're not averse to a little modding, consider adding [OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS] to the humans and dwarves in entity_standard.txt. It won't guarantee you'll get olives, but it will make human and dwarven traders bring fruit from any trees the civ happens to have access to. You still won't be able to harvest them yourself, but it's something, at least.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 12:29:33 pm »

Hemp is like the plump helmet of the surface. So useful!
I dunno, I dumped several in magma, and nearby dwarves became dizzy and canceled jobs with Urist McHauler cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interuptted by Munchies.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 12:54:15 pm »

[ S]upposedly oil can be made from olives, but since olives are produced by trees I had no chance to test them.

If you're not averse to a little modding, consider adding [OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS] to the humans and dwarves in entity_standard.txt. It won't guarantee you'll get olives, but it will make human and dwarven traders bring fruit from any trees the civ happens to have access to. You still won't be able to harvest them yourself, but it's something, at least.

I've got nothing against modding, so I will do that. Only problem is that dwarves and humans bring wagons, which are deconstructed due to a bug/feature, which leads to loss of trade. Previously I used to claim the goods lying on ground, but lately it is all red, which prevent my dwarves from using it (I suppose it is caused by a merchant yak stuck in the brook, yak doesn't drown, but I can't kill it). Anyway, as soon as I have resolved the problems with trading I'll try to make some "Aleppo soap".

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 01:18:13 pm »

I'm surprised nobody mentioned smoking so far.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 01:26:42 pm »

Akura attempted to, but then Akura is apparantly not aware hemp needs to smoulder, not burn. And because nothing can smoulder in dwarf fortress, your dwarves can't smoke.

Trufax.

(Smoking pipes is on the old devlist though >_>)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 02:27:58 pm »

Akura attempted to, but then Akura is apparantly not aware hemp needs to smoulder, not burn. And because nothing can smoulder in dwarf fortress, your dwarves can't smoke.

Trufax.

(Smoking pipes is on the old devlist though >_>)

Don't heated items smoulder just before they erupt in flames? By heated items I mean refuse mixed with corpses created by burning... I had problems with such fires in the past, and they appeared to start with lots of smoke before actual fire.

Also, since hemp was introduced, I always assumed that dwarves use hemp cakes (product of pressing) the same way humans use marijuana cakes. It just doesn't show, because most dwarves are naturally crazy. Plus if they like something, their spirit is highly elevated after eating it, no matter whether this is a narcotic or no, so many of them are perpetually "stoned".

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 02:59:00 pm »

Should grow in any DRY temperate biome. If you can't find it fair and square find a plant on your embark that you have no interest in using and then swap it's raws for hemp raws.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 03:13:14 pm »

What temperate biomes are dry though?  ???
Pages: [1] 2