Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203438 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Saudis flexing their muscles at first opportunity on a much smaller neighbor against which they might actually win their first war. Oil prices already jumped up.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok I am going to ask a dumb question here...

Why is it taking so long to deal with ISIS?

Is it the same reason as most? lots of land to cover, underground, bad terrain?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Mostly because Russia decided to keep Assad in power
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

USA and other Western powers are reluctant to committ tens of thousands of troops and stupid amounts of money for another decade in Iraq. The people in charge instead do help Iraq and the Kurds a bit and try to deal with the Saudis diplomatically while avoiding any mistakes that could end their careers as politicians.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

The Americans learned the hard way in Iraq (first against Hussein, then against AQI) that there is little point in defeating an enemy if you don't have local forces ready to hold the ground afterward (unless you want to do the occupation yourself). So against ISIS there has been a deliberate strategy of fighting through the Iraqis to make sure they are able to hold once ISIS is defeated. Sure, a couple Marine divisions could have retaken Mosul months ago, but what's the point if it's to have another ISIS comeback in a few years?

In Syria this process was even slower due to the need to create the SDF.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Americans learned the hard way in Iraq (first against Hussein, then against AQI) that there is little point in defeating an enemy if you don't have local forces ready to hold the ground afterward (unless you want to do the occupation yourself). So against ISIS there has been a deliberate strategy of fighting through the Iraqis to make sure they are able to hold once ISIS is defeated. Sure, a couple Marine divisions could have retaken Mosul months ago, but what's the point if it's to have another ISIS comeback in a few years?

In Syria this process was even slower due to the need to create the SDF.

I don't think we created the SDF, it coalesced on it's own. The forces in Syria that we DID attempt to create though, were a complete and utter failure, since they either got killed or their loyalty to their country was greater than loyalty to the CIA.

On the whole Quatar thing, they all need to look themselves in the mirror honestly because they all are themselves guilty of supporting terrorism in some way or another. And more war in the MidEast is the last thing that it needs. Not sure what the goal of them declaring war on Quatar would be, overthrow the Emir there? Annex it? Also, the tensions aren't sudden, they've been building for a while now.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:30:10 am by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Qatar has nice loot
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Qatar has the 3rd largest natural gas deposits in the world right after Russia and Iran.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suppose Saudi Arabia could force Quatar into being their vassal...

Complicating things though, is that the US has a military base in Quatar, so, if a war does break out, Trump may be forced to choose sides. Though to be honest, I think he'd just sit on the sideline and cheer for whoever looks like they'd win, plus the fact that it'd be a real test of his promise to stay out of other countries problems and not get sucked into wars.

It could be possible to sit that one out, at the risk of Russia or someone else filling the vacuum and being an arbitrator between the two sides.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suppose Saudi Arabia could force Quatar into being their vassal...

Complicating things though, is that the US has a military base in Quatar, so, if a war does break out, Trump may be forced to choose sides. Though to be honest, I think he'd just sit on the sideline and cheer for whoever looks like they'd win, plus the fact that it'd be a real test of his promise to stay out of other countries problems and not get sucked into wars.

It could be possible to sit that one out, at the risk of Russia or someone else filling the vacuum and being an arbitrator between the two sides.

Also USN's 5th Fleet has its headquarters and largest naval base in the Middle East right across the strait, in Bahrain.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, it'd be interesting, in a historical perspective sort of way as it's his first major diplomatic crisis* not of his own making, to see how Trump reacts to this. Though he hasn't yet said anything publicly and US officials (Tillerson and others) are urging calm and for all parties to sit down and talk over their differences and disagreements. Which is to be expected.

*I know theres the NK thing, but that's a chronic diplomatic crisis, this one is new.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

ooooh. please tell me we're going to war with saudi arabia.

fuck those guys. fuck those guys so hard.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That would require us being allies with Iran, which is not going to happen under the current administration.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ooooh. please tell me we're going to war with saudi arabia.

fuck those guys. fuck those guys so hard.

What did i miss? What have they done (now)?

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

That would require us being allies with Iran, which is not going to happen under the current administration.
well we're defensive allies with qatar, sooo...please please please. it'd be gulf war 2.0, all that KSA defense spending and no competence whatsoever.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 136