Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203488 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well it looks like trumps hammer method of diplomacy is in full force.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I can't say amusing is the right word, but it's something that one of the top comments in that AP twitter thing is a link to a post back in 2013 of trump coming out against exactly what he just did. Sodding 2017 took 2016 as a challenge, apparently.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I hear ya' mang. Unannounced offshore missile attack on an air base is exactly like pressuring for a no-fly zone after further attempts at diplomatic outreach.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

I hear ya' mang. Unannounced offshore missile attack on an air base is exactly like pressuring for a no-fly zone after further attempts at diplomatic outreach.
"Diplomatic outreach"? She lied about any "diplomatic outreach"!
Hillary what the fuck

Clinton said that if she were in power, she would have told the Russians they were "either with us or against us on this no-fly zone."

"It is time," Clinton said, "the Russians were afraid of us because we were going to stand up for the rights, the human rights, the dignity and the future of the Syrian people."
I thought for a year that you were not a fucking war-crazed warhawk, and now you say this garbage?

Fuck!
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Here. Have the context. About five minutes past was what you quoted from the article. The statement saying with or against was literally about talking to fucking putin, and stated framed under the belief that would putin would listen.

It was fairly aggressive, but that article also stripped and rearranged shit, and it was fairly in line with her previous stance.

E: Would have offered a transcript, but at least at this point in time I couldn't find any that had made it online, yet.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:48:43 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile

Good God, I hope that it is true. That would be the best outcome, on the whole. The puppet pal president misbehaved, and recieved a thrashing by Old Man Donald, who needed to get something decisive and impressive done, with all recent set-backs.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

Here. Have the context. About five minutes past was what you quoted from the article. The statement saying with or against was literally about talking to fucking putin, and stated framed under the belief that would putin would listen.

It was fairly aggressive, but that article also stripped and rearranged shit, and it was fairly in line with her previous stance.

E: Would have offered a transcript, but at least at this point in time I couldn't find any that had made it online, yet.
Why the fuck would CNN lie and twist the world of Hillary? It, it doesn't make any sense, are they really, truly, taking the label of "fake news" and carrying it to reality?

I'm seeing reports come out that there were no Russian casualties, and that despite CNN's reports to the contrary the Russians were alerted and removed their personnel and assets from the base in question. That's entirely unconfirmed at the minute, but CNN spreading fake news certainly wouldn't surprise me. If it is true that the Russians were alerted, we might all get out of this with our assholes intact.
Apparently Tillerson, the Secretary of State, has said that Russians were not warned. (2). Other than some "deconfliction" notice. This means that the Russians on the airbase have, most likely, not been evacuated beforehand.
._.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

According to later updates in the second source Sergarr listed, it appears that the Russian military in the area was notified but Moscow wasn't.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

They'll do whatever gets attention, mostly, serg. Evocative words that are mostly accurate and just happen to catch attention, even if they cut out some fairly important stuff, well... welcome to the fourth estate, mate.

E: Any case, it looks like warning might have actually been given, with part of the panic being gov't spokesfolks fucking up the whole "can talk" thing. Apparently when someone mentioned a deconfliction warning (which kinda' isn't what you send ahead of time when you're about to bomb something, it seems -- more a "hey, we'll be around here, lets not shoot each other"), they meant warning was given over the already established deconfliction line.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:15:04 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Good God, I hope that it is true. That would be the best outcome, on the whole. The puppet pal president misbehaved, and recieved a thrashing by Old Man Donald, who needed to get something decisive and impressive done, with all recent set-backs.

This is not a good thing. We've effectively served as Al-Qaeda's air force on this one. What I'm seeing is that the missiles all hit around the same spot on the base, and the strike seems to've been aimed at cratering runways, though lots of aircraft were "damaged" which probably means destroyed and at least one pilot was killed. It wasn't nearly as damaging as it could've been. Maybe a show of force for public pressure without planned followup? We'll have to see what happens tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:18:19 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile

It was never a particularly good thing. Well, not in its current shape. But, if the Russians present were warned and did not come to harm, it is the best outcome of a frightfully unnerving scenario.

It is difficult to know, but I believe the main reason for the bombardment was to render the airbase unusable, for any potential future poison gas bombings. I do not really know how one would select the targets to accomplish that, or how devastating one can expect 60 Tomahawk missiles to be, but I agree, it sounds rather paltry, if that assessment is correct. It is a fairly large facility, but with 59 state-of-the-art cruise missiles... I would have thought the damned place to be in ruins, or at least aircraft-less.

According to later updates in the second source Sergarr listed, it appears that the Russian military in the area was notified but Moscow wasn't.

Hmm. Provocative, but not wildly so.

The next few days are going to be interesting; people are going to be watching Trump and asking, was this a show of strength to the Chinese premiere (RE North Korea, presumably)? Was it an attempt to deflect from domestic pro-Russian accusations? Was it, as Silverthrone said, a swat to curb Assad after he stepped out of line? Was the attack genuinely by Assad's forces or was it a false flag - and if it was the latter, was Trump taken in, or did he use it?

Whichever it was, so long as there are no further military strikes, it would appear this won't be as dramatic as some of us had initially feared. As to whether it'll be a good move or not for the US, though, that remains to be seen - Baffler makes a good point that to an extent, we've done the Islamist's work for them here. Is that worth whatever it gains us - if it gains us anything at all?

I do hope that I am 'on the money' this time. That it is intended as a disciplinary action, to make Al-Assad fall back in line and behave himself, while giving the Russians a hint towards shortening the leash. I do hope so. Another former nation-state collapsing into a gathering of Islamic beard-juntas doing Lord knows what is the very, very, very last thing any one could possibly want.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:31:46 pm by Silverthrone »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile

/pol/ is going on and on about WWIII, chaos gods, happenings, and repeating digits again.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I guess the least bad that can happen is that this attacked weakened Assad air power, and will allow IS to reclaim territory, and make the conflict drag on for many more years.

Thanks Oba Trump!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Interesting. Apparently one of the russian more-or-less-propaganda rags (sputnik news) is claiming russia's demanding a U.N. security council meeting more or less immediately. Remains for something a bit more official to pop up, though.

... someone remind me who the stateside UN ambassador or whatever it is that'd show up to that meeting is? It'd probably be good to know how worried that should make me.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I get the first 3, but repeating digits? Like, in a decimal expansion? Or just 666?
Post numbers. If you're unfamiliar, every post on 4chan is counted by number, but these numbers aren't contained to a thread like on Bay 12 but instead count up for the entirety of each board and so within a single thread jump upwards. Increasingly large repeating digits, especially those at the end of the number, are considered portents of luck (or skill among the few people with an automatic system to time postings exactly). Two numbers are Dubs, Three are Trips, Four are Quads, and onwards.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 136