Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203573 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Oh, dang, I forgot about THIS thread. Maybe my new middle-eastern shitstorm thread ain't needed

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We kind of do need a more general MidEast clusterfuck thread anyway......

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Yeesh, things are ramping up fast over there. Saudi-Iranian war anybody?......
Naah, they'll stick to proxy warfare. An Iranian-sponsored Shiite rebellion in Saudi-Arabia though...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeesh, things are ramping up fast over there. Saudi-Iranian war anybody?......
Naah, they'll stick to proxy warfare. An Iranian-sponsored Shiite rebellion in Saudi-Arabia though...

Would the Shiites have the numbers for that kind of thing?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Well, they don't really border each other, so war is hard. It could get shitty quick if Iran decides to block the stratis of Ormuz.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

A Saudi-Iranian war is the last thing we need happening there, but is a looming danger that's always been hanging over the area indeed, and seems to be heating up now.

If it comes to that, I have no idea what will happen.

Will the US support Saudi Arabia in such event, or will they finally realize that their oil pals have been playing them all along for their own preservation of power and regional dominance, ever since they asked them to free Kuwait from Saddam, and that they're basically as fanatically anti-unbelievers, and as barbaric as IS/Daesh?

Neutrality might be the best option for any western coalition, since the US backing Iran is very unlikely to happen in any near future. Although Western airplanes defending Iranian airspace could go some ways in helping Iranians overcome the national trauma of US/UK treachery in the 1950s.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be completely honest, I doubt that the Saudis and the Iranians will escalate beyond this.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A Saudi-Iranian war is the last thing we need happening there, but is a looming danger that's always been hanging over the area indeed, and seems to be heating up now.

Will the US support Saudi Arabia in such event, or will they finally realize that their oil pals have been playing them all along for their own preservation of power and regional dominance, ever since they asked them to free Kuwait from Saddam, and that they're basically as fanatically anti-unbelievers, and as barbaric as IS/Daesh?

Neutrality might be the best option for any western coalition, since the US backing Iran is very unlikely to happen in any near future. Although Western airplanes defending Iranian airspace could go some ways in helping Iranians overcome the national trauma of US/UK treachery in the 1950s.

I'll argue that it's absolutely the best from a straight realpolitik standpoint. Let the whole region blow up and realign itself. Whoever comes out will be destroyed enough to require Western or Eastern rebuilding, make sure the West is the one who comes out favored, and NATO hegemony is ensured until Europe self destructs.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Bad things, good things and bad things, in that order

inb5 Israel remembers its claim to Persraibia
Also I find it's very racist to treat the Arabs as barbarians on the level of ISIS, they're not idiots m8 and they're right now running rings around Murrica

What a dumb reason to start WWIII
lol whatevs all problems can be solved by bombing the middle east

I'll argue that it's absolutely the best from a straight realpolitik standpoint. Let the whole region blow up and realign itself. Whoever comes out will be destroyed enough to require Western or Eastern rebuilding, make sure the West is the one who comes out favored, and NATO hegemony is ensured until Europe self destructs.
From a straight realpolitik standpoint you make the region realign itself on your lines, I'm sure the West and the Commies were both equally surprised before WWII when their efforts to make Germany go one way or the other made them go the third way. Then they dallied in fighting them until they were fighting them unprepared
Basically
Hitler

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trying to make the Middle East along any planned lines seems to have been a great failure every time someone's tried.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In case of a direct war the West will not lift a finger to help the Saudis. the subtleties in speeches both from Saudi Arabia and the West pretty much tell of a Western departure from Saudi Arabia toward Iran long before the Nuclear Deal was signed and which the West kindly ignored all the breaches and double versions the Iranians pulled on them since day one of that agreement. i don't hold bright future for Saudi Arabia since those Salafists had enough time and money to become a bright country yet stayed an oil powered glorified beduin tribe. on the other hand, Iran is actually a mountain of good potential waiting to erupt. that said, the West will also not lift a finger to help the Iranians. at best, we would see emotional speeches by the Western head governments and the U.N calling for people to reach peaceful conclusions.

In a direct war i don't see how Iran could win so they will have to take it into other battlefields and not just in the Middle East.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

That one assumes that the wave of destruction won't overflow into Europe proper and drag it down, as well, which is foolish considering recent refugee crisis.

In other words, it's a stupid short-sighted policy that is unworthy of being called "realpolitik". Kind of like that Libya adventure.
._.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, what spills into Europe is Europe's problem. They're not going to be so screwed up that Russia can roll to the Rhine, so it's perfectly fine.

Obviously, from the completely twisted lens I'm arguing with, not that I have any problem whatsoever with a strict hands off the damn middle east stance. I'm much happier, as a country, dealing with refugees than I am with another war.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Hey, what spills into Europe is Europe's problem.
W W I I I
W
I
I
I

They're not going to be so screwed up that Russia can roll to the Rhine, so it's perfectly fine.
Ha

Trying to make the Middle East along any planned lines seems to have been a great failure every time someone's tried.
Right now Yemen is basically Saudi Arabia and Iraq and Syria outside of jihad bants are basically Iran

Also we don't need this to spread to nuclear-armed Pakistan

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, what spills into Europe is Europe's problem.
W W I I I
W
I
I
I

Hey, neither 2 nor 1 were especially bad for American interests.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 136