Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203482 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

inb4 idf invasion of mount sinai

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They'd have to get permission from Egypt first.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

5/5 i chuckled

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its hardly the first time they attack Israel. I guess the proximity to their big Egypt attack makes it appear different

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Israeli military has intensified its intelligence gathering efforts in the area

Uh, if Hamas is fighting ISIS affliated groups in Gaza, why would they give another ISIS affiliated group (or maybe it's the same one) weapons?

Sounds a bit like they're looking for any excuse to raze Gaza to the ground.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They don't need that excuse since they could always use the rockets that are still being fired from Gaza as one.

This is Hamas military wing vs Hamas political wing. The Middle East is full of supposed contradictions, for example: Saudi Arabia and Qatar, U.S "biggest allies" in the gulf arming and funding Al Qaeda while it attacks american soldiers on Iraq and Afghanistan and just a few years later, the U.S arms Al Qaeda in Libya and Syria. Hamas political wing openly support the Syrian rebels in exchange for Saudi and Qatari funding while the military branch support Hezbollah, backed by Iran, all while supporting ISIS fighting Egypt in exchange for them allowing arms smuggling into the strip, the same ISIS who fight Hezbollah and Iran in Syria.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:46:41 am by Vilanat »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

It looks like IS has achieved a tactical victory, by luring Turkey into the fight.

Not only is Turkey bombing IS, they are also bombing the Kurds. Those same Kurds that have proven so important in pushing back IS.

Erdogan: Fuck you.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

It is also a tactical victory for Erdogan.
Everyone wins!
Except Kurdistan, which weeps.
BBC news on the whole affair. ISIS militant killed a Turkish border guard, a PKK militant carbombs two Turkish police officers, in response Erdogan begins bombing all of them.
I suppose Erdogan is of the mindset where he fears for what should happen should the Kurds win; secession, or a bloody attempt at it as they'd be backed by veterans of the Syrian civil war. That's why he didn't let them cross the border to fight for Kurdistan, he feared them coming back to Turkey with nationalism in their bones and guns in their hands. Add to how Turkey, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq and the US - all are pulling this way and that to use the war to leverage themselves better against any of the other political agents in the area. Some don't even have a vested interest in seeing the war end.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #685 on: September 30, 2015, 09:52:24 am »

Rise from the grave, this thread.

Russia is now officially involved in the war in Syria under the pretext of fighting ISIS militants. According to Russian media, the Russian military intervention was requested by Assad himself. As of right now, it's limited to air strikes.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #686 on: September 30, 2015, 09:59:05 am »

Well, as long as they only strike ISIS (and the ISIS wannabes like al-Nusra), I must say I approve: since they actually have a ground force to coordinate with they have the potential to be much more effective than the Western air force, they will not be as murderous as Assads air force on civilians, and they will draw Jihadists attention away from the West, so its all good for me.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 30, 2015, 11:03:45 am »

I have to disagree: While Daesh is horrible, the ophthalmologist and his forces are still the bigger evil. The relevant number here is five: It's the ratio of civilian casualties caused by the doctor's forces vs civilian casualties caused by Daesh. Daesh will be destroyed regardless of what happens right now, but Assad's regime has a chance of survival - and thus must be dealt with more urgently.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 30, 2015, 11:07:55 am »

Well, as long as they only strike ISIS (and the ISIS wannabes like al-Nusra), I must say I approve: since they actually have a ground force to coordinate with they have the potential to be much more effective than the Western air force, they will not be as murderous as Assads air force on civilians, and they will draw Jihadists attention away from the West, so its all good for me.

Except that they started striking first in Homs (yes, that Homs, where the rebels are), which is in the western part of Syria, where ISIS doesn't really have a presence.

While it's obvious that they want to support the Assad regeime, we'll soon see if they're also fighting the anti-Assad people (the ones who aren't ISIS or their wannabes anyway), which will make things even more complicated and the civil war even worse.

The whole Middle East (Syria especially) has become a chessboard for various powers and groups vying for influence or pursuing their own agendas. Just about the only major power missing is China, but they don't seem interested in the problems of the Middle East, at least not in a military sense.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 30, 2015, 11:25:41 am »

That's because ISIS is not an immediate threat to Assad while Jaysh Al Fateh, Jaysh Al Islam and the Free Syrian Army are.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 136