Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203644 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Those guns are probaly Bulgarian AK or similar: ammos for these is just more plentiful.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If I were to drop weapons into this conflict, I would have made sure to have my military intelligence division research and produce guns with built in GPS tracking devices, so drones can home in on them if they fall into the wrong hands, or the right hands turn wrong.. A few days built-in delay before they actually start transmitting would help prevent detection, and even if the thing becomes known, it is a good deterrent against people from the wrong side taking an opportunity to seize drops.

Shit, might as well have super military intelligence division research and produce autonomous mechs for the Peshmerga that conduct unrestricted warfare against ISIS while being smart enough to obey all international law, while serving United States, Coalition, Iraqi, and Kurdish interests.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If I were to drop weapons into this conflict, I would have made sure to have my military intelligence division research and produce guns with built in GPS tracking devices, so drones can home in on them if they fall into the wrong hands, or the right hands turn wrong.. A few days built-in delay before they actually start transmitting would help prevent detection, and even if the thing becomes known, it is a good deterrent against people from the wrong side taking an opportunity to seize drops.
Another way to answer: Once this is done.  Everyone from forever on will expect GPS tracked weapons when they acquire weapons from US or whoever the heck is giving the weapons and will work on disabling it.  Works once, never again... or used in a way that would humiliate the trackers.  Like turning the GPS back as a call sign that 'your' weapons are being used for X deeds by opium runners or something.  (We know how happy people were to find out that the US was supplying drug cartels with unmarked weapons.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another way to answer: Once this is done.  Everyone from forever on will expect GPS tracked weapons when they acquire weapons from US or whoever the heck is giving the weapons and will work on disabling it.  Works once, never again... or used in a way that would humiliate the trackers.  Like turning the GPS back as a call sign that 'your' weapons are being used for X deeds by opium runners or something.  (We know how happy people were to find out that the US was supplying drug cartels with unmarked weapons.)

Yeah, the whole 'fast and furious' debacle.....

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I never said America has to gps tag all it's weapons. I only said that weapons INTENDED TO BE DROPPED (near enemy lines) should be fitted with them.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

/shrug   Seems like a feel good feature if you want to use it as a deterrent.  Cause if it went through a-ok... Allies will then question why their shit is bugged and begin to wonder how their 'allies' will try to screw em later.

Denying the enemy equipment, in this case, the sieged Kobani peoples is still good tactics... Even if the weapons are made to explode in the wrong hands or something like that.  (Though, I suppose you can track movement and for air strikes in the short term...)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

(Though, I suppose you can track movement and for air strikes in the short term...)
That's an excellent idea! Could be used in other conflicts as well, against Hamas for example. Just make sure that it looks like it was accidentally delivered into the enemy's hands.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

/shrug   Seems like a feel good feature if you want to use it as a deterrent.  Cause if it went through a-ok... Allies will then question why their shit is bugged and begin to wonder how their 'allies' will try to screw em later.

Denying the enemy equipment, in this case, the sieged Kobani peoples is still good tactics... Even if the weapons are made to explode in the wrong hands or something like that.  (Though, I suppose you can track movement and for air strikes in the short term...)

Well shit, that's a much more realistic proposal than magic gps tags.
Magic explody tags!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

Chancer are after you airstrike the two groups with something like that they will see what you did there and figure out where did you put the GPS tracker.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

That's why you only put the tag in every 100th or so weapoon...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #491 on: November 03, 2014, 07:18:20 pm »

... you're posting that a second time, ~a week later?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #492 on: November 03, 2014, 07:21:36 pm »

In fairness, it's a plan that's so impossible to result in a net loss that it bears repeating. No, I'm not serious, I don't actually have any hatred for non-fictional juggalos and I apologize if I've offended any readers
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 04, 2014, 09:40:17 am »

In more serious news, Denmark now has reinsertion plans for jihadists. Given what I've read about them recently, I'm convinced it's the right path to go. Fuck you Scandinavia, stop being so nice you make all of us look bad.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 09:44:47 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 04, 2014, 10:09:45 am »

... you're posting that a second time, ~a week later?

I'd completely forgotten that I'd posted it a first time. Woops.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 136