Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203673 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's a good point, crusaders would be a lot less susceptible to bribery, so they're in fact a better choice than mercenaries. Quick, if you're American, write to the Emperor President and ask him to declare a Holy Crusade!
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

I dunno, look at the atrocities and various things that the crusaders did.

Pretty much the reason why Muslims hate Christians some 1000 years later.
I was under the impression that most Muslims that do hate Christians hate them for their meddling in the middle east over the past ~150 years, much as the reason most muslims in the middle east hate jews is because Isralie policies and actions over the past 60 years.
Mercenaries are also harder to control. With their money, ISIS might be able to buy some of them off, which you can't do with a regular army.
I imagine most of the groups we hire would be US/European/Russian. If any of them did side with ISIS, then they would probably be tried for treason, which is a pretty large incentive not to do it.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that you guys underestimate the motivation of private military contractors. Profit is a helluva great drive. I mean, they're not going to be doing much rebuilding unless they're given very precise, probably ineffective directions, but I don't think that a per-head bounty on IS fucks would be very counterproductive right now.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

much as the reason most muslims in the middle east hate jews is because Isralie policies and actions over the past 60 years.
Dude, look at this guy. Anti-semitism in the middle east goes waaay back.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was under the impression that most Muslims that do hate Christians hate them for their meddling in the middle east over the past ~150 years, much as the reason most muslims in the middle east hate jews is because Isralie policies and actions over the past 60 years.

Nah, the reason muslims hate jews is not because of israel, its because muhammad hated the jews that laughed at his shallow and intellectual stolen ideas so he coded his mental program, aka religion, to hate us.

That's why muslims were massacring jews more than a thousand years before israel was re established.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah, the reason muslims hate jews is not because of israel, its because muhammad hated the jews that laughed at his shallow and intellectual stolen ideas so he coded his mental program, aka religion, to hate us.

That's why muslims were massacring jews more than a thousand years before israel was re established.

So, um, by that line of thinking, did Jesus code his mental program, AKA religion, to hate Jews? Because Christians have been anti-semitic for more than a thousand years too.

Or better yet, replace 'Jews' in your statement with 'Christians'.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could somewhat replace jews with christians regarding the Quran, true. not to the same extent though, because the jews were considered wealthy and opposed the cult of muhammad so the hatred toward them is far deeper and broader. But even if it was for the same extent, so? how does that negate my reply?

As for anti-semitism in christianity, it was coded into it at a later stage, yes. again, not to the same extent as in the Quran. are you trying to argue that anti-semitism isn't somewhat found in christianity?

But even if it was for the same extent, So? what's your point? those kind of counter arguments are utterly tiresome and meaningless. How is it even a counter argument?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

I think that you guys underestimate the motivation of private military contractors. Profit is a helluva great drive. I mean, they're not going to be doing much rebuilding unless they're given very precise, probably ineffective directions, but I don't think that a per-head bounty on IS fucks would be very counterproductive right now.
And you're greatly overestimate the willingness of people to die for money.
._.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

History suggests that many people are either willing to do this or, perhaps, are confident that they'll be the lucky ones to make it through. Mercenaries are kind of an established thing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

History suggests that many people are either willing to do this or, perhaps, are confident that they'll be the lucky ones to make it through. Mercenaries are kind of an established thing.
The mercenaries were almost never a backbone of an army, though. And ISIS guys are really good at making people not want to die at their hands.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could somewhat replace jews with christians regarding the Quran, true. not to the same extent though, because the jews were considered wealthy and opposed the cult of muhammad so the hatred toward them is far deeper and broader. But even if it was for the same extent, so? how does that negate my reply?

As for anti-semitism in christianity, it was coded into it at a later stage, yes. again, not to the same extent as in the Quran. are you trying to argue that anti-semitism isn't somewhat found in christianity?

But even if it was for the same extent, So? what's your point? those kind of counter arguments are utterly tiresome and meaningless. How is it even a counter argument?

I was trying to explode your fallacy, whichever fallacy it is.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

It's not really a fallacy, it's just impprecise usage of the term 'religion'. Once you treat medieval Christianity and modern Christianity as two different religions*, his statement is quite sensible.

*Makes sense since the difference between modern and medieval Catholicism, for example, is much greater than that between modern Catholicism and modern Orthodoxy.
Also you have to assume that modern Islam as practiced in the countries surrounding Israel is not too far removed from the original; I'm not qualified enough to judge this either way.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't see how my remark about the nature of religion makes any difference.

The meat of my response to the statement that muslims hate jews because of Israel actions was that muslims hate jews because of Muhammad actions and teachings.
If anyone wants to argue against this response he is more than welcome, but he will have to argue with history and the Quran itself.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

muslims hate jews
I thought muslims hated Israel more?
._.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wouldn't expect mercenaries to outright change flags, just take bribes to look the other way. Didn't Italian regular army do this in Afghanistan?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 136