Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 203702 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #990 on: February 16, 2016, 03:12:55 am »

We are all waiting now for Turkey to shoot down another Russian plane, Russia shooting back and article 5
I doubt it will happen... Turkey is talking much but they didn't even manage to close the damned straights for Russian ships that bring bombs and shells to Syria.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.
« Reply #991 on: February 16, 2016, 05:21:08 am »

We are all waiting now for Turkey to shoot down another Russian plane, Russia shooting back and article 5
I doubt it will happen... Turkey is talking much but they didn't even manage to close the damned straights for Russian ships that bring bombs and shells to Syria.

They cant close the Bosphorus without some seriously good reasons or theyd face santions themselves and probably war with Russia at least.

If it comes to that they'll surely do it, at which point Russia needs to either leave Syria or invade Azerbaidzan with their puppet Armenia for land connection via Iran. I'm not sure if theyre ready to do that before Feb. 28th when the massive 20-nation, Saudi-lead excercise(largest force ever assembled by Arabs they claim) under closed airspace near Iraqi border is scheduled to end.

Edit: escalating the conflict further should kick the oil price up too. I dont think its in anyones but EU's and Syrians themselves interest to cease fighting right now. Theres too much to win or lose.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:24:08 am by Erkki »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: February 16, 2016, 06:24:51 am »

Oh boy.

...Can WW3 wait until after I can't be drafted?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: February 16, 2016, 06:37:53 am »

Just fake being a pacifist on your draft intake. Start crying and say that you're so sad because on your way to the intake you saw someone kill a poor little fly, and the loss of life completely threw you off balance.
I narrowly escaped draft here in the Netherlands. Draft service was disbanded one year before I turned 18 haha.

Back in my parent's days though, it was a well known practice for people with pacifist beliefs (which was no ground for draft exclusion) to fake psychological illness on the intake. The method most used was fapping in front of the draft officer, that was guarantueed to get you the 'S5' classification (mentally unfit for service). Note that back in my parent's days, the pacifist / hippie / provo movement in the Netherlands was friggin HUGE.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 06:44:08 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: February 16, 2016, 06:40:04 am »

...Maybe my right leg being...Half-sideways? and nearsightedness will save me.

*reads edit* Er.

Yep, nope.

Also, US draft.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 06:42:47 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: February 16, 2016, 06:50:35 am »

*reads edit* Er.

Yep, nope.

Also, US draft.

Hmm. You could also dedicate the time you have before the draft to becoming a gun nutter. Buy as many (legal) firearms you can afford, join one or two redneck shooting clubs. Then, when it's draft time, and they ask you on intake "what does joining the army mean for you?" You answer "I want to know how it feels to kill people".
You'll be on FBI watchlists for the rest of your life, but they won't let you get into the army. Bonus points if you become a cattle farmer and let your cows graze on federal land.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 06:52:35 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: February 16, 2016, 06:53:54 am »

Agck.
Sigtext

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: February 16, 2016, 06:54:03 am »

*reads edit* Er.

Yep, nope.

Also, US draft.

Near sightedness will save you from becoming a special forces operator or a fighter pilot mostly.  :P IIRC you guys have over 2 million in Army and Air Force National Guard reserves and dont plan on occupying several foreign nations... So you should be safe. The basic training is at minimum 4 months during which you couldnt legally be deployed.

Russkies have it tougher: conscripts at age 18+ can be sent abroad after 3 months iirc and nobody may inform their relatives.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: February 16, 2016, 07:10:25 am »

Like, 'nose-in-front-of-my-face', or at least, '1-foot' nearsighted.

If we have WW3, though...Yeeegh.
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #999 on: February 16, 2016, 01:54:50 pm »

When you show up for the draft bring a waifu pillow and your best CWC medallion, you should be kicked out rather quickly.

Or just decline enlistment, is that an option? Not being sarcastic, I do not know this process

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: February 16, 2016, 02:23:30 pm »

When you show up for the draft bring a waifu pillow and your best CWC medallion, you should be kicked out rather quickly.

Or just decline enlistment, is that an option? Not being sarcastic, I do not know this process

It depends a lot on the nation and times.

Over here, under martial laws, theres basically no option between service and jail. For anyone. In practice, there isn't a job for everyone so not everyone gets mobilized or drafted to even unarmed jobs(logistics, medical and so forth). And people in essential jobs get excluded(power plant and network workers, logistics and such)

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: February 16, 2016, 03:35:05 pm »

Things are getting very tense, with kurds in coordination with syrian government getting closer to eliminating biggest resistance in Aleppo where majority of al nusra is located, there is a danger of turkey with support of saudi arabia  going directly  in syria to defend their back up resistance.

And New York time article how "U.S. Relies Heavily on Saudi Money to Support Syrian Rebels"
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/24/world/middleeast/us-relies-heavily-on-saudi-money-to-support-syrian-rebels.html?_r=4

Also possible plan B of USA and their allies:
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2016/02/12/pers-f12.html
Make love not war

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: February 16, 2016, 06:01:45 pm »

Ah, yes... this war could have ended a long time ago...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1003 on: February 16, 2016, 06:42:42 pm »

We're not allowed to stop Mr. Bones's wild ride

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: February 16, 2016, 07:10:36 pm »

Things are getting very tense, with kurds in coordination with syrian government getting closer to eliminating biggest resistance in Aleppo where majority of al nusra is located, there is a danger of turkey with support of saudi arabia  going directly  in syria to defend their back up resistance.

And New York time article how "U.S. Relies Heavily on Saudi Money to Support Syrian Rebels"
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/24/world/middleeast/us-relies-heavily-on-saudi-money-to-support-syrian-rebels.html?_r=4

Also possible plan B of USA and their allies:
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2016/02/12/pers-f12.html

Why are the Kurds allied or cooperating with the Syrian government? I thought the Kurds were among the rebels? Though of course, Al Nusra would be a common enemy.

I think the whole threat of World War III is overblown. Sure there could be some under-the-belt slaps and lowblows between Russia and others, but the real powderkeg is the MidEast. So, I think it'll be localized to the Mideast region.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 136