Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 195943 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Key thing is probably does not know any better.  She is very likely to fill another body bag if she doesn't get any learning though.

And the laughing is probably a 'holy shit I coulda died there but did not' adrenaline high moment.  Such reactions tend to vary at such moments.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

The Iraqi army reports that they've completely defeated ISIS in the city of Mosul. Commandos and sleeper cells are still a concern, but the entire city is now at least under the nominal control of the ISF. Several thousand troops have been freed up as a result, so we can probably expect major offensive against them very soon. It took 8 months to completely clear the city, and losses were very high, but this means all that's left of ISIS in Iraq is the pockets centered at Hawija and Tal Afar, and a few villages along the Euphrates on the border with Syria.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Iraqi army reports that they've completely defeated ISIS in the city of Mosul. Commandos and sleeper cells are still a concern, but the entire city is now at least under the nominal control of the ISF. Several thousand troops have been freed up as a result, so we can probably expect major offensive against them very soon. It took 8 months to completely clear the city, and losses were very high, but this means all that's left of ISIS in Iraq is the pockets centered at Hawija and Tal Afar, and a few villages along the Euphrates on the border with Syria.

Similar to what happened when Aleppo fell, I expect them to need at least a month or two to lick their wounds and prepare for their next offensive. But their Western allies will keep doing SF operations and air attacks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

What's an SF operation? Science fiction? Solar Flare? Sad fucks?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's an SF operation? Science fiction? Solar Flare? Sad fucks?

Special Forces. Namely, (usually) elite teams that specialize in, well, stuff you would send elite teams to do. Like the Navy SEALS.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

What's really concerning me is the fact that the Iraqi government seems to have no clue how to handle its new provinces and provide services. School re-opened, but teachers aren't paid. Water has to be trucked into Mosul. Electricity is intermittent, at best. That's no way to win heart and minds.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Well, since the time since liberation can be measured in hours rather than days, it's kinda moot and pointless to start blaming the Iraqi government for logistical troubles already. What do you expect? A miracle? The city has been bombed to rubble, it's not like the Iraqi government can just flip a switch and restore running water and electricity.
Bulding new pipes and cables is likely going to take months, if not years.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:18:54 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

The liberation has been ongoing. Much of Mosul has been liberated for months, with only small pockets of ISIS fighter left.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even if some areas of the city have been liberated for months... do you expect civilian contractors in there fixing things, near the fighting?  Shit is probably expensive on the liability.

Also, probably the fact that Iraq isn't the US with its yuge military budget to throw around.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It goes beyond that. School in East Mosul re-opened six months ago, but the teachers haven't been paid since. Contractor that won contracts to fix the grid are still waiting to know how they'll get paid to start working. And yeah, generally, money is lacking.

Hard to tell if it's corruption problems (which I'm sure they still have) or it's truly economic problems, maybe both.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

It goes beyond that. School in East Mosul re-opened six months ago, but the teachers haven't been paid since. Contractor that won contracts to fix the grid are still waiting to know how they'll get paid to start working. And yeah, generally, money is lacking.

Hard to tell if it's corruption problems (which I'm sure they still have) or it's truly economic problems, maybe both.

Well in their defense they've had at least low-level war going on in their territory near-continuously for the last 15 years.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Military operations on this scale are super expensive.

I would be surprised if the soldiers got their pay in time.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Remember that hacking of Qatari government websites and social media that led up to the current crisis in the MidEast? The UAE got caught red handed and it turns out that they led the hacking rather than Russia or some random person looking to get a rise out of things.

It'll probably blow the situation over there wide open.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Regional Instability + instead of ++
Or is it the other way around?  We know this particular shit show was heading somewhere crappy.  Maybe it'll be less crappy.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 136