Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best way to cull my infants?  (Read 3156 times)

idgarad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to cull my infants?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 10:05:14 am »

Step 1: Dig a 6+ pit with a pitting room at the top.
Step 2: Fill the bottom Z level of the pit with water. 4-5 deep.
Step 3: Get some goblins pitted, naked into the pit.
Step 4: 1 z-level below the pitting room build bridges and link to a level.
Step 5: Set up a burrow in the "bridge room" and assign all children to that burrow.
Step 6: Once all the children are in there. Throw the lever and drop the children into the pit with naked goblins.
Step 7: Laugh manically as the "pedo pit" takes care of the virmen children.
Step 8 (OPTIONAL): Toss a few wild gators in there to finish up any surviving children.

If you are going to do evil things like murder children... get as evil as possible. How much more evil can you get then having dwarven children assaulted by naked goblins?

ComatosePhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 10:29:53 am »

I am pretty sure you just need to make a second burrow for only the adults,

alternatively you could retire the fortress show up as the usual psychotic adventurer and go on a murder spree, technically would take longer and I'd recommend making a backup save before trying shenanigans with retiring forts.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 12:01:44 pm »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 03:19:53 pm »

Sorry did someone summon me?

Let's get to it, then.  Is your problem with INFANTS or with CHILDREN?  Infants are attached to their mothers, children will follow their mothers.

INFANTS - You need to either separate them, or kill them while the mother holds them.  For quick killing, danger rooms are fine.  A few pumps of a spike will do it.  For separation, water would be my best bet.  Basically if you send the mother through a waterfall type area, the flow of water will push the baby off them and preferably down a death hole.  BONUS POINTS if the death hole is actually just the dining hall.  Witnessing death will get them hardened to disappointment, and make them virtually immune to tantrums.

CHILDREN - These are easier to handle.  In my experience with DF2012 and attempting to weaponize children... yes, 'that' thread... I found interesting things.  Children will only slightly obey burrows.  They will always obey an alert burrow, but a personal burrow they will only stay inside - they will not go to it easily.  If you set an area as a burrow, and the child accidentally walks into it, they will stay there.  Children will also claim and stand in their bedrooms.

For mass slaughter, I would suggest making a smallish room, layered in upright spikes, and set it as a personal burrow for all children, and ALSO as an alert burrow.  Call the alert, all dwarves go to the spike room.  Cancel the alert, all adults leave, and all/most children stay in the spike room, because it's their burrow.  Once safe, lock the door and pump spikes.

For individual death, assign bedrooms to children, and once they're inside, have a mason seal them in, so that you can add turkey to the room let them starve or add lions or drown them or whatever.  You may even just build small gazeebos outside, without protective walls, so that goblin snatchers or ambushers wander by and kill the children for you.

As far as avoiding tantrum spirals goes, then you want to put everyone in an unused military squad with a uniform of just a helmet, allow parties, and make sure the bodies aren't found.  Cave-ins help to demolish bodies, as do bridges.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 03:33:46 pm »

Sorry did someone summon me?

Let's get to it, then.  Is your problem with INFANTS or with CHILDREN?  Infants are attached to their mothers, children will follow their mothers.

INFANTS - You need to either separate them, or kill them while the mother holds them.  For quick killing, danger rooms are fine.  A few pumps of a spike will do it.  For separation, water would be my best bet.  Basically if you send the mother through a waterfall type area, the flow of water will push the baby off them and preferably down a death hole.  BONUS POINTS if the death hole is actually just the dining hall.  Witnessing death will get them hardened to disappointment, and make them virtually immune to tantrums.

CHILDREN - These are easier to handle.  In my experience with DF2012 and attempting to weaponize children... yes, 'that' thread... I found interesting things.  Children will only slightly obey burrows.  They will always obey an alert burrow, but a personal burrow they will only stay inside - they will not go to it easily.  If you set an area as a burrow, and the child accidentally walks into it, they will stay there.  Children will also claim and stand in their bedrooms.

For mass slaughter, I would suggest making a smallish room, layered in upright spikes, and set it as a personal burrow for all children, and ALSO as an alert burrow.  Call the alert, all dwarves go to the spike room.  Cancel the alert, all adults leave, and all/most children stay in the spike room, because it's their burrow.  Once safe, lock the door and pump spikes.

For individual death, assign bedrooms to children, and once they're inside, have a mason seal them in, so that you can add turkey to the room let them starve or add lions or drown them or whatever.  You may even just build small gazeebos outside, without protective walls, so that goblin snatchers or ambushers wander by and kill the children for you.

As far as avoiding tantrum spirals goes, then you want to put everyone in an unused military squad with a uniform of just a helmet, allow parties, and make sure the bodies aren't found.  Cave-ins help to demolish bodies, as do bridges.

In the name of FPS, I'm just going to assign the 1x1 tile that is my garbage dump as the child burrow+alert burrow. (it has an atom smasher) and then if that fixes the problem, I'll work on minecarts and/or waterfalls. Keep the ideas coming, this is very helpful, and most of this will help IMMENSELY in future forts so I can stop this before it becomes a problem.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 09:34:13 pm »

Fortunately, or unfortunately (A bit of both really), I have found that after starting the game up the next day in real life, the game was far less laggy, for reasons unbeknownst to me (either a memory leak or an overheating issue seems likely), so I didn't need to do this. If I feel the need in the future though, thank you for your contributions.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 10:53:11 pm »

Build a pump stack up from the a magma source to the top floor of the fortress. Burrow everyone indoors. Lack the doors and turn the pump stack on. It should cull 100% of your children. Warning: there may be some other unwanted side effects.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 11:50:04 pm »

Here's a good way to get rid of kids:

Dig a wide pit at least 2 zs deep
Fill the bottom with magma
Cover over the top of the pit with a retracting bridge
Build a wall around the pit so that there's only one tile dwarves can path through to access it
Set up a pressure plate on the tile to trigger when your citizens walk over it (Make sure to set the minimum weight really light in case your victims happen to be shorter than an average dwarven child.)
Link the pressure plate to the bridge

You now have a suicide booth

Set a burrow over the top of the bridge
Add the kids to the burrow at your leisure and they should path right into the pit (also works with suspected vampires, non-berzerk crazy dwarves, and any other fort member that happens to piss you off.)

To avoid tantrum spirals, send in the victims one at a time, waiting at least as long as it takes for the corpses to burn away to nothing. As long as nobody finds the body or sees the ghost, it shouldn't be reported as a death and moods shouldn't drop all that significantly.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 12:02:29 pm »

Step 5: Set up a burrow in the "bridge room" and assign all children to that burrow.
Step 6: Once all the children are in there. Throw the lever and drop the children into the pit with naked goblins.
Step 8 (OPTIONAL): Toss a few wild gators in there to finish up any surviving children.

If you are going to do evil things like murder children... get as evil as possible. How much more evil can you get then having dwarven children assaulted by naked goblins?
Why am I feeling that you were behind the Obok Meatgod incident?
Strike the earth!

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 03:33:11 pm »

Why am I feeling that you were behind the Obok Meatgod incident?

No need to overreact, its not like he modded new organs on the gobbos.

Dyrxaend

• Bay Watcher
  • Crystal blades and Scaled plate, Razors of Dawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 05:45:03 am »

DF: the only place where the mass genocide of infants is an acceptable, and perfectly reasonable, thing to have a conversation on.
Scales and fangs, Cydaela and blade, Crystal and fire! March, Kizaurun! March to glory and to vengeance! March for the Razors of Dawn!

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 08:12:09 am »

I never went through all this trouble to separate children from mothers. I just draft all mothers in a squad, have a long hallway with many doors (even just a couple of doors will prob work), pick individual mothers, station them at the end of the hallway, cancel the order, close whatever door is appropriate as they come back and all their children get stuck behind the locked door. Have a table in a small room at the end of the hallway, designate it as a meeting area only when it is separated from rest of the fort by the locked door. Children congregate in meeting area, and you can use it as an extermination chamber or danger room or whatever. You can easily keep them alive by previously dumping a bunch of food on a single tile food stockpile, or even dropping food from a garbage dump above.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:14:42 am by Gukag »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 08:23:17 am »

Dwarf Fortress. The only game where there is a thread about culling babies.

Welcome to Bay12, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome...To Dwarf Fortress.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 04:06:07 pm »

Dwarf Fortress. The only game where there is a thread about culling babies.

Welcome to Bay12, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome...To Dwarf Fortress.
Jonathan Swift would be disappointed...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 07:14:53 pm »

I think if you atomsmash them somewhere out of sight, then nobody would ever know that they died and only think they've gone missing, avoid the massive unhappiness boost.

alternatively, kill them right after they're born. considerably more difficult, but the happiness resulting from having a child should counteract the unhappiness from their child dying.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: 1 [2] 3