Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ant Rush the rts! Has anyone played it or own it or what to alk about it?  (Read 8740 times)

VonHeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello everyone! This is my first post! I've been playing DF for nearly 2 years now and have been checking this forum and DF on reddit. Only now have I decieded to register.

I love ants. In addition to raising ants as pets and playing SimAnt I have searched the internet for an ant simulator/rts that would help sustain my obbession. I discovered AntRush, which looks like a pretty awesome rts with a dash of ant simulation in it and even a multiplayer component. There once was a website were people could download the free version of the game or pay for the full version. Its seems the creator took it down sometime around 2010, much to the dismay of the small community that sprung up. So, does anyone own the game? Or known of it? Or wish to talk about it? Or wish to put it up for download?   :D

Here's the address to a topic started in 2010 about antrush.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93166.0

Here's the address to a nice review of the game
http://www.tigsource.com/2008/07/27/antrush/

Also if anyone knows of any other good ant simulation games please let me know!

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well i looked it up and it seemed like it was a cool game. I have tried to find someone with a copy or the dev, but I have not had much luck so far. I did however found the devs address and linked in profile.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile

well there is simant.

yes that is a thing, played it on my dad's window's 95 computer
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well there is simant.

yes that is a thing, played it on my dad's window's 95 computer

SimAnt was mentioned in The OP :p

VonHeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well i looked it up and it seemed like it was a cool game. I have tried to find someone with a copy or the dev, but I have not had much luck so far. I did however found the devs address and linked in profile.

Thanks for the effort! This game really seems like it shouldn't just be forgotten. What do you mean by "linked in profile"?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

I downloaded the free version ages back. I can't remember it that well, but must have got some enjoyment out of it.

Dug out my old laptop, found, and uploaded the installer for the free version. The only problem is that it throws a "SdlDotNet.Graphics.Surface' threw an exception" error when I try and load a mission. I am using Windows7 64bit, while the archived version of their site only mentions up to Vista.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Looks interesting, PTW so I remember that this exists.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

VonHeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you so much Vattic! This was what I was looking for. It runs fine on my Windows XP desktop, but on my Windows 7 laptop it runs into the same problem as did you. Very cool game. It would be awesome if the dev ever came back and continued development. 

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I downloaded the free version ages back. I can't remember it that well, but must have got some enjoyment out of it.

Dug out my old laptop, found, and uploaded the installer for the free version. The only problem is that it throws a "SdlDotNet.Graphics.Surface' threw an exception" error when I try and load a mission. I am using Windows7 64bit, while the archived version of their site only mentions up to Vista.
thank you so much vattic, sadly i ran into the same problem as you as far a playing the game.

Thanks for the effort! This game really seems like it shouldn't just be forgotten. What do you mean by "linked in profile"?

not a problem, a linked in proflie is like a online resume. here is a link if you are interested

VonHeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

choppy--> Thanks for the link. I am almost angry at this guy for discontinuing this game and removing his game for purchase and download. :D I have almost finished the singleplayer content in the free version (which is not much) and I cannot host a LAN/online game do to the free version's restrictions. The game is awesome and I will not stop untill I obtain the full version (which might be impossible). Thank you again Vattic for the download and choppy for finding the creator on linked in.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I doubt it'll be impossible.
Someone somewhere will have it. And be willing to share because come on this is the internet it's pretty much its main purpose.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

VonHeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Success! I managed to get the full version from a very generous person who did a small Let's Play series on Ant Rush. However, the game threw exceptions at me on both of my computers. To fix this, put these files in the game's directory. (This works with windows 7 64 bit too).

For SdlDotNet exception
http://originaldll.com/file/sdldotnet.dll/32674.html

For Tao.sdl.dll exception
http://originaldll.com/file/tao.sdl.dll/32679.html

Note: These are not direct download links.

I think this should fix the problem in the free version too.
Also note: the free version is an older version than the final full version that I now have. You most likely cannot play LAN games using the two versions.

Well, I have only played a bit of the full version, but I have to say it's worth $10 dollars. Too bad there is no way to acquire it and also give the maker his due. I will put the full version up for download later (I have never done such a thing before). Please stop me if you think I shouldn't or encourage me if you think I should.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

The Toad doesn't approve of adbandonware.
Best not to post it out in the open.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree with this. My recommendation is to upload it to dropbox and pm whoevers interested the link to it.   ( like me) and maybe see if you can find a abandon ware site to add it to.  ( just in case )
And was this the person who made 4-5 videos? Because I thought I had sent him a message on YouTube.

VonHeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree with this. My recommendation is to upload it to dropbox and pm whoevers interested the link to it.   ( like me) and maybe see if you can find a abandon ware site to add it to.  ( just in case )
And was this the person who made 4-5 videos? Because I thought I had sent him a message on YouTube.

^--- I'll do this. Expect a week or two until I get around to doing this. (sry) By dropbox do you mean via Google+? And yes, that is the same person, most likely. There are two people who have uploaded Ant Rush videos onto Youtube. The other one didn't make a let's play.

Unless there is some sort of cd-key/serial shenanigans, multiplayer should be possible using the direct connect option.  :D

As for the abandon ware site, if you wish to find one you may. I love abandon ware sites but I don't think I will add it myself.
Pages: [1] 2 3