Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Orcs or Humans?

Our foes will bow to the strength of our clans (Orcs)
- 23 (54.8%)
Coin, muskets, and words can solve most of our problems of course. (Humans)
- 19 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GAUGE OF INTEREST: Orcs or Humans? VOTE CLOSED  (Read 2682 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
GAUGE OF INTEREST: Orcs or Humans? VOTE CLOSED
« on: August 06, 2014, 11:51:38 pm »

Okay, so, this thread has one purpose and one purpose only: To decide what my next story fort will be. I want to use masterwork for the task, but I can't decide which race! While I've asked around, orcs are only leading by a narrow margin in that informal poll, so why not take the question to the forums in a more official capacity?

REASONS FOR EACH

Orcs: Orcs being the way they are, suit my normally military focused playstyle. However, it's been a long time since I played them (not since Northernshores in fact!) so I may make mistakes frequently. They have a considerably higher potential for FUN through battle, as I will try to get into an orcish mindset of death before dishonor and all that. As said before, I've only played them once so mistakes/cluelessness are likely, much to the detriment of the orcs and the amusement of you guys.

Humans: Being the new race, people may be more interested in them, however there's already a tutorial/succession game for them already up (if very slightly outdated,) and I'm leery of coming off as if the race is being shoved down people's faces. I never played any of the test releases and didn't pay much attention in Glimmerring, so I'll essentially be flying blind with them as well. I may end up playing much more conservatively with them, as after all humans actually give a damn about thier own lives and the lives of those in their community (AKA things could get boring fast.)

So there you have it. Mistakes and FUN are equally likely with both for different reasons, and one suits my playstyle more than the other, while the other is new and shiny.

Tell me your thoughts on the matter and place a vote in the poll now!

EDIT: I want to note that neither will be a tutorial in any way shape or form. The point is to craft a story, not show you guys how something works.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: GAUGE OF INTEREST: Orcs or Humans?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 11:53:32 pm »

Orcs. Obviously.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:54:25 pm »

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:56:19 pm »

Poll added properly. Give it a vote people!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 12:16:30 am »

Silly humans. They think they're so cool, but really, we all know how disillusioned they are.
We're safe as long as they never realise their true potential...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 12:21:37 am »

I.... I am a little surprised, but not that much. Stupid new race.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 12:26:19 am »

I am surprised you even do a poll, when you obviously tend towards Orcs yourself. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 12:37:29 am »

I am surprised you even do a poll, when you obviously tend towards Orcs yourself. :P

I do it because it's only fair. I don't want to play the humans but I will if that's what people would prefer.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 01:56:22 am »

>> I do it because it's only fair.

Spoken like a true human!!  On the other hand it would be proper orky to just overrule the masses and do whatever you like :D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 02:17:11 am »

>> I do it because it's only fair.

Spoken like a true human!!  On the other hand it would be proper orky to just overrule the masses and do whatever you like :D

Don't go giving me ideas. Because that is very tempting.  :P

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 08:40:56 am »

I think you will do a better story with the orcs (based on what you say above.) That edged me into voting orcs.

I will enjoy following either, however.

I think there are enough new features with orcs that it will produce something that will help other players even if orcs are more mature as a race. Humans tend to a lot of fiddly building also. And repetitive trading. But it would be interesting to see a developed human militia/military with cannons on the walls and muskets and pistols widely distributed holding off sieges too.

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 09:28:03 am »

Mores the pity you can't do both... competing stories/forts. Maybe both on the same world, same embark... dimensional shard style?

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 03:29:58 pm »

Mores the pity you can't do both... competing stories/forts. Maybe both on the same world, same embark... dimensional shard style?
Seeing as the vote remains tied, I guess he'll have to. :P

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 03:35:31 pm »

Orcs should make for a great story. I think its one of the most cultural races so far, mostly because of the weapon naming and stuff. It's the kind of fluff I like.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 03:39:15 pm »

I could, but that'd require at the very least starting two threads and setting them up which I don't want to do. With all that I've done, I don't want to seem like I'm edging things out with the story forts I'm working on. I'd also need at least one competent storyteller (being competent with the humans is secondary  ;)) to work with the humans while I work with the orcs and I'd need to maintain both.
Pages: [1] 2