Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: MDF V.6.1 - Human Update + Hermit Update  (Read 16309 times)

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MDF V.6 - Human Update + So much stuff.
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 10:42:38 am »

No, I did use F12 before, but the weirdness crept back quickly. I used to toggle it to clear the spaces for a few seconds. TTF mode resulted in the weird characters which I could sometimes interpret, but sometimes not. Now it seems completely gone (knock on wood.) Or I have finally found the right combination of settings. But whatever it is, it's much nicer.

"Timestream x" I must remember.

I'm starting to wonder if the GUI world gen settings actually work. I just set the good/evil settings to 12:12:0 to try to make it mostly neutral but the world genned looks to be the same distribution as default. I have noted the cavern settings don't work as I expect (if at all) in the past. I'm not world gen expert though, so not sure my observations are accurate. I have it set to edit "ALL" and use "diverse world" to gen from.

I do know that stretch of river from Iquitos to Manaus a bit. Farther east and west not so much. Mostly flew around though (floatplane.) Did a few boats trips from Benjamin Constant down as far as Santo Antonio do Ica. Has changed more than a little since those days though.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 10:43:25 am »

the non-random seeds provided for the Garden Of Gaia are consistly crashing when genning it at year 80. i don't suppose theres' any non-obvious error log i could look at to figure out why?

Edit: When i've only set Orcs to be playable in forts in the launcher and caves to be visible, to be specific.
Default settings:

I will test with orcs and visible caves. (caves are visible by default, there is no change needed for that)

Edit: This one is with orcs only:

Honestly I have no idea why people get crashes at worldgen, I have never ever ever seen one. And I create hundrets of worlds while testing stuff. Mostly short one, but often the pre-sets till year 100 (their end year) and standart worldgens to 250 (their end year).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:47:02 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 10:59:50 am »

Okay, tested specifically.

Set good/evil to 12:12:0 in gui.

Checked init file.

For the stock DF worlds it's set to 12:12:0.
For the custom MDF ones it's not.

There are some formatting differences in the text file once the custom ones start. I suspect the GUI might be choking on those differences. Thisprobably affects the other world gen params also for those worlds.

Yep: I had also set the number of layers above the first cavern to 20 and it's 10 for Gaia (diverse). It's 20 for the stock worlds following my change.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 11:07:59 am »

Just to make sure I understood you correctly:

You use the worldgen editor in the GUI to alter all worldgens at the same time. Only the normal worldgens are changed, but the pre-set with unique names (the ones I made with perfect world) are not changed. Is that correct?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 11:10:39 am »

That is what I am observing. I have not tried aiming at a specific pre-set world to see if that works.

Yeah, looking at the world_gen file suggests wonkiness in the way the GUI interacts with it. Some settings appear to match GUI, some not. Even on the stock worlds, though those match it more closely. Mineral scarcity seems to work across the board. The defaults for stock worlds (in the world_gen original file) seems to be 300, you changed default in GUI to 400, and so far it seems to be all 400 as expected.

The cavern layer changes I just made aren't reflected in the file for stock worlds, but seem to be in Gaia.

The good/evil settings situation is more complicated than I first thought. In some cases it's what I set it to in GUI, in others it's not.

I would say that last page of GUI is pretty unpredictable in effect as things stand. Which matches my subjective play experience. It sorta has worked, somewhat.

The first through third pages seem to mostly work right. I have some questions on that party size one still. I haven't made changes and checked that init file so far to see what's actually being written.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:27:43 am by vonsch »

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 11:22:46 am »

I crash sometimes when running a medium size world past about 250 years. I never have a problem if I stay below 150.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 12:23:34 pm »

Okay, further testing:

It's the "all" setting that is misleading.

The GUI appears to work fine if you select a specific world to edit. The implied universal changes with the "ALL" selection are either unpredictable, or they affect the first one on the list only.

Also, maybe a caveat is in order in a tool tip: Changing the text file then launching from the GUI will overwrite your text file changes with the GUI settings. :)  Even for things you can't change in the GUI. It just sets those back to the GUI defaults. (eg. vulcanism)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 12:47:54 pm »

When the gui starts, it makes a copy of all files in its backend. When you alter the text files in the folders, you are NOT alterting the files the GUI has currently loaded. It will then overwrite the changes you made manually.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 01:10:26 pm »

It's released, and my beloved, long-sought humans are unleashed upon an unsuspecting public.

No, that's not tears in my eyes, what are you talking about?
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 08:55:10 pm »

Using this release, the orc fortress is now up. Find it here!

Also, dumb question but how do I turn off the multi-z level thing?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 08:57:19 pm »

type multilevel 0 into dfhack, or set it in the GUI, first page. If you use the GUI, you need to restart DF. If thats not enough, disabled item graphics, that shuts down the entire plugin. May I ask why you'd want to play without it?

Edit: Calander = Calender? :P

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 09:08:44 pm »

Shaddap. The damn programs aren't correcting it and my teachers never did either.  :(

And because I honestly would just rather play with it off. It's one of those features that I don't have an interest in, though I may use it later on when I have stuff with appreciable height to show off. As it stands most of my embarks are utterly lacking in hills even when I look for them which makes the plugin kinda useless for me unless I embark on a mountain or where a bunch of rivers meet.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 09:21:59 pm »

Shaddap. The damn programs aren't correcting it and my teachers never did either.  :(

And because I honestly would just rather play with it off. It's one of those features that I don't have an interest in, though I may use it later on when I have stuff with appreciable height to show off. As it stands most of my embarks are utterly lacking in hills even when I look for them which makes the plugin kinda useless for me unless I embark on a mountain or where a bunch of rivers meet.
Yeah, at first I didn't like it very much, but now I love it -- apart from looking nice, it's useful for getting those multi-level buildings that I build for my humans. It's a shame that I have to choose between it and truetype.

Best visuals or best functionality...the eternal conundrum.

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 09:48:31 pm »

Yeah, at first I didn't like it very much, but now I love it -- apart from looking nice, it's useful for getting those multi-level buildings that I build for my humans. It's a shame that I have to choose between it and truetype.

Here, pick functionality. There you go. :P

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 10:32:02 pm »

Here, pick functionality. There you go. :P
But...but Rendermax and Multi Z-Level viewing! They're just so pretty T_T
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6