Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: MDF V.6.1 - Human Update + Hermit Update  (Read 16289 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: MDF V.6 - Human Update + So much stuff.
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2014, 04:15:09 pm »

Donations
If you like the content and want to help the developers, why not buy them a coffee?
Support Toady One / DF ::: Support Meph / MasterworkDF ::: Support Splinterz / Therapist :::
Thank You!

Masterwork Dwarf Fortress V.6.1

The Hermit. This is the sole addition of the update, I did not change any content on any other race, manual or utility. The GUI had the liquid spawner and clay oven buttons fixed by Splinterz, as well as a selection for the hermit added.

But what is the hermit? Its a single-unit race intended for fort mode. You control a single person, who has to start a new life. Since I cant delete the 7 units at embark and the first 2 migrant waves are hardcoded, I found another solution: They are figments of your hermit's imagination. They transform into hallucinations, which die instantly, since your hermit realizes that they are not real. Since ghosts are also hardcoded and would appear if they are not buried, they do leave a "past regrets" item that can be buried. Very philosophical here, your hermit has to bury the regrets of his past self, otherwise they will haunt him.

After that is done, you have to worry about surival. You need food, drink, shelter. Weapons and Armor. For this the hermit has a large selection of very tiny workshops, 2x2 in the most cases. See the cheatsheet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its mostly smaller versions of the normal MDF workshops you are used to. They dont offer quite as many items as in dwarf mode. A few are brand new, like the Sundail, and other are from humans or gnomes. See the manual for more info.

A unique feature of the hermit mode are two hardcoded, timed events. After 2 years in the game your hermit will create an imaginary friend, Bob. He will help you with labors and save you from harm. After 3 years in the game your hermit will stumble upon a mysterious talisman, which will unlock the magic altars, but only one of them. It is also valuable enough to attract sieges, so your life will become more interesting. You can either become a Necromancer, a Conjurer or a Mage with it. Of course being a devout hermit that prays at his house shrine, or a nature-loving hermit with a high druid merit will also help.

Please post your feedback on the hermit here. The thread also has a poll that will determine possible future additions.

On a personal note, I will leave for a 2 week hiking trip, so dont expect me to be around much for forum support. I am sure that the community can help with any issues you might have. Please keep posting balancing suggestions and bug reports in the meantime, both for the hermit and the humans. That way I have a nice, long todo list when I am back. ;)

PS: As you have noticed, the mod is now on 3 servers. My personal dropbox that easily dies due to traffic from here, Dffd and a new server, donated by a very friendly reddit user.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MDF V.6.1 - Human Update + Hermit Update
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2014, 09:24:03 pm »

I downloaded this last version and tried to run the game but Master Work just dont run, he stops and I get the message "Masterwork Dwarf Fortress has stopped working".
I'm on windows 7 in a intel I5, 4gb ram.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2014, 09:33:53 pm »

What exactly were you trying to do? Is your .NET-Framework up to date?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Sir_Sif

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2014, 01:07:41 pm »

Hey Meph ! Just tested MDF 6.1 with the calendar speed changed at 1/8, and my dwarves all suffered from starvation and dehydratation, even though I had enough booze and food. They were eating something, back to work for a second, then back to drinking... I supposed it came from the calendar speed since it was the only thing I was testing in this fortress, any idea ?

Moridin920

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2014, 02:07:35 pm »

Downloading to try out the Hermit mode. It looks really fun.

You're awesome, Meph!

mete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2014, 04:30:04 pm »

.net is fully upgraded here, I just double click "Masterwork Dwarf Fortress.exe" and the loading window opens, then the executable stops responding,

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2014, 05:28:15 pm »

My hermit is stuck on "hunt small animals" for some reason. anyone else getting this?

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2014, 05:35:16 pm »

Is he really hungry? Sounds like starvation behavior.

Sir_Sif

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2014, 07:11:52 pm »

I don't know. They were all in the same state of "I eat, then I drink, then I eat, then I drink..." at the very beginning of the fortress. I was still on my embark food and drink, but nothing was done because of that pattern. And that was FUN stupid

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2014, 07:40:30 pm »

I got to say meph really needs to be hired by toady or at least ask the well know modders to help with some stuff since meph can do huge amazing things with modding plus every body else can to, but that's just my opinion  :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2014, 07:53:04 pm »

I got to say meph really needs to be hired by toady or at least ask the well know modders to help with some stuff since meph can do huge amazing things with modding plus every body else can to, but that's just my opinion  :P
And Toady One miraculously opens the C++ source code, and all the modders rejoice. And Meph will see it, and will say "WTF I cant decipher a damn thing, I cant read C, what is that, I dont even, where are the Raws?" :P

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2014, 08:09:45 pm »

And Toady One miraculously opens the C++ source code, and all the modders rejoice. And Meph will see it, and will say "WTF I cant decipher a damn thing, I cant read C, what is that, I dont even, where are the Raws?" :P
Haa true but I don't know much about coding.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: MDF V.6 - Human Update + So much stuff.
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2014, 09:55:20 am »

Renamed short skirts to plain skirts, they are now common.

But.. but.. that ruins everything!
NOOOOOOO.

I know, worst update ever.
I'll revert the dress code but skirts will stay skirts.

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2014, 06:53:48 pm »

I hope this is a relevant place to ask this. I was just wondering if anyone was working on the Drow as a race?

I might be interested in learning to mod this game if it is as easy to get in to as people say.

Just kind of looking if anyone was actively working on the drow, if there was any information that would help me with the drow and modding in general, or if anyone was willing to help me by answering any questions I have.

I have a background in computer science and web develepoment so I think that will help with the learning.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2014, 07:55:12 pm »

Well, technically, modding this game is easy, it's mostly a matter of editing and adding text files.

Making a whole civ playable is an other story, as it means modding in a whole lot of different things (buildings, reactions, overall feel of a race...).

MDF is such that each playable civ (and each civ in general) is made to feel and play quite differently.

Anyway, to learn, I'd suggest you look into anything relative to a specific race, if possible close from what you want to make (succubus, maybe?), as well as trying to make bits and pieces at your rythm as you understand all the tags and scripts used.

(not sure it helps you though)
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6