Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF geology - how realistic?  (Read 1172 times)

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF geology - how realistic?
« on: December 29, 2007, 05:10:00 am »

Hi fellas,

Geography, and, therefore, geology has been a pet peeve for me in high school and as an IT engineering student it doesn't really fit in my university curriculum either. However, due to DF's influence I'm thinking about commissioning some elementary geological studies. Only question is, how closely does DF simulate real-world tectonics? I looked up a few stone types in Wikipedia and they do seem to be accurate.

Best regards,
SA

fox has become enraged!

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF geology - how realistic?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »

Theoretically, DF should be pretty accurate when it comes to the right stones in the right places. Toady did quite a bit of research in this area. I don't think DF simulates macro-level geological processes.

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »

"Tectonics" was an unwise choice of word, I didn't mean having actual plate tectonics that move and shift beneath the earth, rather having a realistic distribution of stone. However, there I have my answer. Thanks  :)
fox has become enraged!

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 05:43:00 am »

well the geology does explain the various iron/gold/silver-rich areas in-game, ironically enough I got offer from local uni because I showed an interest in earth science at the last open day   :roll:
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 10:20:00 am »

The only complaint I have is that there don't seem to be any vertical veins. Even sedimentary stone gets tilted with time due to tectonics. There's limestone cliffs where I live with clearly visible layers that are at a 45° angle to horizontal.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »

In my current fortress I have a huge vertical vein of copper with some aluminum and platinum nearly 20 z-levels tall.  it's been pretty neat to mine it since it's so different from a flat mining op

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »

I stand corrected.Oh well, either this is a new feature, or I just wasn't lucky/observant enough.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 02:47:00 pm »

Vertical veins don't exist. You can look at a revealed map and see that. You may have veins that seem to match up on different levels by luck, but thats only because its the same stone type and you happened to have a vein generated on both levels in the same general area.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 09:11:00 pm »

Actually Paul, vertical veins DO exist, but only for adamantium.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »

Are those really vertical or simply a group of veins stacked together in the same location?

They don't look vertical with Reveal.exe.

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>I stand corrected.Oh well, either this is a new feature, or I just wasn't lucky/observant enough.</STRONG>

I see those orthopaedic shoes are working then  :D .

In all seriousness though, I'd live to begin to see global events such as earthquakes, eruptions, etc. Things to give you pause about where you want to settle. Perhaps similar to the history, there could be a very sparse 'future' created at worldgen, spanning the next 1000 years or so which included major earthquakes, droughts, volcanic eruptions of epic scale etc. Pity the fool who ignores the portents and builds too close to the event epicenter.

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 09:34:00 am »

This is why I hope the development will continue for years - so all these magnificent features can be incorporated.
Did anybody play the first ever DF version? How much difference is there between the first-ish versions and the current one?
fox has become enraged!

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 12:29:00 am »

Yes there are very big differences 1 z level only in all modes of the game, much less to do, way less rock types, less accuracy in the distribution of rock types, you could only start on ten different map squares, they always had an open are on the left side, a vertical mountain face to the right of that(regardless of which side of the mountain they were on), and no temperature...

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 01:11:00 am »

Still, I loved the old style of the game.  It wasn't spectacular if you played the game over and over a lot, but for those who played maybe their first couple 10 fortresses, the structure was great.