Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is Golden Salve?  (Read 3543 times)

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is Golden Salve?
« on: August 06, 2014, 06:20:03 am »

I know it is not usable in the game, but what does everyone think golden salve is, and why are people willing to pay such a high price for it? Personally, I like to think it's I high quality oil meant to be rubbed into beards to increase their shininess and softness. Mainly used by humans and by the type of dwarf whose proper workplace is a narrow platform suspended above a pool of magma.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is Golden Salve?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 06:29:04 am »

Shhh, it's lubricant used for making dwarven babies...

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 06:35:06 am »

Its a drug that allows for working while sober.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 07:58:35 am »

It's the only thing that can separate booze-fungus-puke layered polymers from a beard.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 08:29:03 am »

Well, typically Human's would be using wax for their beards/mustaches. Or at the least, the Vikings did.

I'm guessing it's a panacea, and everyone wants some because of all those megabeasts prowling the countryside.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 08:51:22 am »

Everyone just uses it as a valuable trade good, humans, elves, kobolds etc. Nobody knows where it all ends up.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 09:37:47 am »

Everyone just uses it as a valuable trade good, humans, elves, kobolds etc. Nobody knows where it all ends up.
Perhaps there is a wizard buying it all in order to summon a giant, world destroying gnome.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 10:31:23 am »

Personally, I keep imagining it to be some kind of snake oil.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 10:44:28 am »

Well, typically Human's would be using wax for their beards/mustaches. Or at the least, the Vikings did.

I'm guessing it's a panacea, and everyone wants some because of all those megabeasts prowling the countryside.

Didnt know Vikings waterproofed their beards. And yes, I also thought it would be some not-implemented-yet medicine. Maybe it can cure infections or nerve damage.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 11:01:16 am »

Do not give it too much thought, for the one important thing is that the salve must flow...

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 12:12:11 pm »

Didnt know Vikings waterproofed their beards. And yes, I also thought it would be some not-implemented-yet medicine. Maybe it can cure infections or nerve damage.

Ah, but wait, there's more!
They did not just waterproof them, they wore genuine snidely whiplash mustaches! And the bleached their hair with DF-style lye and fat soap: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/hairstyl.shtml
//Your image of vikings, forever ruined ;)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 01:09:41 pm »

I remember a story about a woman who cut the ends of her meatloaf off before serving it. She said her mother did it her entire life, and she assumed it improved the flavour. It turns out her mother just had a really small baking tin, so the only way she could actually make meatloaf was if she cut the end off.

If one generation can lose that much meaning, imagine a thousand years of people trading this incredible resource known as Golden Salve. Who in their right might would use the stuff when it sells for so much, right? There's a dwarf in the mountains that'll pay a fortune for it. Who cares what he does with it, or who he sells it to. More money in my pocket!
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 02:45:53 pm »

I remember a story about a woman who cut the ends of her meatloaf off before serving it. She said her mother did it her entire life, and she assumed it improved the flavour. It turns out her mother just had a really small baking tin, so the only way she could actually make meatloaf was if she cut the end off.

If one generation can lose that much meaning, imagine a thousand years of people trading this incredible resource known as Golden Salve. Who in their right might would use the stuff when it sells for so much, right? There's a dwarf in the mountains that'll pay a fortune for it. Who cares what he does with it, or who he sells it to. More money in my pocket!
Maybe it was an ancient and now outdated tool, but everyone assumes it's valuable, so they keep buying it up and selling it for more, not knowing that it's just extremely old glue.

Kumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 07:11:07 pm »

It is intended to be a medicine when Alchemy gets implemented :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16249.msg155590#msg155590

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 03:53:50 pm »

It is intended to be a medicine when Alchemy gets implemented :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16249.msg155590#msg155590
Nope, I'm still going with the beard oil explanation. I'd also be prepared to entertain the possibility of it being a wax.
Pages: [1] 2