Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are those cloud types?  (Read 978 times)

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
What are those cloud types?
« on: August 05, 2014, 11:30:29 pm »

It wasn't until I saw the various cloud options in arena mode that I realized that all those α and β and ▓ were actually signifying specific cloud types. Unfortunately, in arena mode (where you can precisely control the clouds), you can't get to the fast travel maps, which are the only ones that show off clouds, and in adventure mode you of course can't control the clouds.

I can only think of two routes to figure this out at the moment:
  • With any luck, DFhack's mode switcher might let you get to the fast travel map in the arena. Unfortunately I don't use DFhack, I don't even know if what I need here works with 0.40.06.
  • Maybe, with incredible luck, cloud names show up in the RAM when you encounter them in adventure mode. Feels highly improbable though.
Hopefully someone better at examining the internals of the game can help out here. Any ideas on what all those cloud symbols stand for?
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Re: What are those cloud types?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 02:36:22 am »

I dont know what different effects do the clouds have (if any). If there is any difference between them you could !!SCIENCE!! it.
Otherwise some RAM analysis should be able to find the cloud type variables and compare them between adventure and arena.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 02:59:18 am »

Why don't you start with stopping in adventure mode whenever under a cloud and check the [W]eather (Or [T]emperature and time)?

Then write down what your adventurer reports with what cloud.

Then order them, and then compare them to the arena mode list.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 04:19:14 pm »

Why don't you start with stopping in adventure mode whenever under a cloud and check the [W]eather (Or [T]emperature and time)?

Then write down what your adventurer reports with what cloud.

Then order them, and then compare them to the arena mode list.

Well, now that you mentioned it, it seems obvious. I've gone through about 20 of the 128 possible combinations It seems a lot of the combinations don't produce anything unique, so I'll be able to breeze through checking those. Unfortunately, that means it'll possibly be less clear when I look at the messages under particular cloud symbols.

By the way, temperature is [P], and it's the weather key that tells you the time. ;)   (Was is different in an old version? I remember having to fix it in a couple places on the wiki a short while ago.)

EDIT: I've got a bit of information collected now. I just don't know if I should put it under the Weather page, or a new Clouds page. The Weather page as it stands only seems interested in precipitation and Evil Clouds™.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:23:49 am by lue »
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.