Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Babiesplosion  (Read 2916 times)

Rancidgnome

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Babiesplosion
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 12:21:35 am »

In the span of 5 minutes (real time) there were three new babies born in my fortress, two were the offspring of my 67 yr old expedition leader. The mothers were a 14 yr woodcutter who dislikes families , and a 16 yrs old hauler whose husband is not in my fort. The the third baby was by the husband of the 14 yr woodcutter and my furnace operator.   I checked the ages of the babies and they were all born within a day of each other. I'm thinking a cold shower needs to be installed in the dinning room.

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 03:19:29 am »

I know the sexual orientation of the dwarves can be manipulated in the raws.  Perhaps increasing the likelihood of gay/lesbian dwarves, preventing reproduction?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 04:14:05 am »

Doubt that would work, since dwarves don't even need to be lovers at the moment to breed.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 06:22:02 am »

Actually, it *does* seem to work.

Gay dwarves do not appear to become pregnant.

(Of course, regen required and all that.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:52:56 am by Williham »

Rancidgnome

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 10:46:59 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought dwarves needed 9 months for pregnancy. I only asked cause I just had one of my dwarves give birth to her second child 5 months after the first was born. Not sure if this is part of the baby bug or can they have preemies now?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 01:23:12 pm »

So this is a new bug?  It had me wondering for a while when the expedition leader suddenly started impregnating everyone after I moved my fort from 40.05...

Actually, this time I don't mind at all. This fortress was going to be a test bed for various "Dwarven child care" experiments so more babies the better. At least I don't have to worry about running out of test subjects; I fear that this time the schooling efforts are going to be messier than a sharting sharknado.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 06:02:30 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought dwarves needed 9 months for pregnancy. I only asked cause I just had one of my dwarves give birth to her second child 5 months after the first was born. Not sure if this is part of the baby bug or can they have preemies now?
Toady posted about this one: Apparently the dwarves are reproducing both like dwarves(marriage etc) and like livestock (spores). Perhaps one child is 'normal' and one is out of wedlock?

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 06:39:08 pm »

It seems that older migrated saves are unaffected.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 07:01:16 pm »

Thank Armok that I decided to lower my children cap on a whim before playing this version. The lack of sieges is a shame. The single siege bug is new to .06?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 07:17:05 pm »

Thank Armok that I decided to lower my children cap on a whim before playing this version. The lack of sieges is a shame. The single siege bug is new to .06?

No, it's been this way since 0.40.01.  It took a few versions for people to be sure it was a persistent and wide-spread bug affecting virtually all games, rather than just their own forts.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 01:27:33 am »

I play .40.06, but my fort was created in .40.03, and migrated every time a new version popped up, and thus far I'm also unaffected. All babies I have in this version (not too many) seem to be legitimate. I have a population of about 150.

byzkarl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 10:24:04 am »

If only they could be designated for slaughter. I suspect the parents wouldn't like it if the little ones showed up in the soup.

My options are 1) wait until the next release or 2) let them breed until they outstrip my resources, and have some fun.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 12:18:02 pm »

I disagree, I migrated a save from 40.05 to 40.06. First child was a bastid son of one of the founding miners and a farmer. They weren't married nor lovers. Could be that the bug was around for 40.05 too? Don't remember hearing about it until this version.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2014, 11:27:31 am »

although it's out of hand and definitely a bug now, I think it would be cool/realistic to have some little dwarven "accidents" between lovers who aren't married. Bonus points if there's a small chance for random pregnancies to start incubation during parties. Also, that way you could manipulate the "lovers" proportion in the raws so that few dwarves get married, but many end up having kids, so you have a hippie commune :p
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 11:56:02 am »

although it's out of hand and definitely a bug now, I think it would be cool/realistic to have some little dwarven "accidents" between lovers who aren't married. Bonus points if there's a small chance for random pregnancies to start incubation during parties. Also, that way you could manipulate the "lovers" proportion in the raws so that few dwarves get married, but many end up having kids, so you have a hippie commune :p

Elf!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3