Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 137200 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #1095 on: December 23, 2016, 05:51:08 pm »

Cargo subs, planes, nuclear-powered icebreakers (they reached North Pole, they can reach Canada, also imagine a fucking convoy of cargo ships lead by an icebreaker), they could even supply some on land using those crazy Arctic truck trains.

Also, yeah, you could just go through majority of the journey by Arctic and then under cover of Commonwealth fleet go by Atlantic to major port. Also, it wouldn't be that unthinkable for Canadians to just plop an major military sea port in Hudson Bay (they have some infrastructure in Churchill already, I belive).
As for Russians, either go from Sankt Petersburg through the North Sea (and still be relatviely safe due to proximity of UK and their fleets) or through Murmansk which has a considerably sized port, I belive.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 05:57:56 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 23, 2016, 07:07:43 pm »

Also lol @ the commonwealth having any real power any more.
The Commonwealth is powerless; the nations of the Commonwealth are powerful. It would certainly be weird if the Commonwealth nations and the USA went to war, you'd get that weird situation where two sides that frequently train each other's soldiers and officers go to war
Smirk @ the nazis going to war with China
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1097 on: December 23, 2016, 07:18:19 pm »

I don't think Nazis ever actually went to war with China. They ceased support, true, but never did a German soldier fire a shot at Chinese one during WW2.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 23, 2016, 10:53:17 pm »

If the entire population of the rest of the world decided to assault the United States using human wave tactics, would the US win?

Probably, but only because human wave tactics are obsolete.

You mean zerg tactics.

That kind of only works when you have tons of cannonfodder and don't care about losing said cannonfodder.

Doesn't china currently have the highest manpower military in the world currently?

Also lol @ the commonwealth having any real power any more.

And WAY more people, about a billion more.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 24, 2016, 02:38:26 am »

The kind of thing only works if you have more cannonfodder than they have bullets and/or reliable bullet conveyors.
Modern assault rifles would fix that all too quickly.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: December 24, 2016, 03:04:07 am »

The statistic I will remember until the day I die was a thread from somewhere back in 2006 or so where it was calculated that a single invincible and implacable person with an M16 containing infinite ammo could not exterminate the human race due to an inability to overcome the birth rate.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: December 24, 2016, 03:05:20 am »

Does that take into account that as they kill they'd lower the birth rate?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: December 24, 2016, 03:17:01 am »

I don't remember, but this thread went on for literal dozens of pages debating the various effects of an unstoppable mass murderer making their way across the Earth killing all who enter effective range, so I imagine so. The general consensus seemed to settle into it being impossible in any set of circumstances for the godmode shooter to accomplish human extinction or even substantial reduction over any period of time.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: December 24, 2016, 03:20:00 am »

I mean, he could probably damage vital infrastructure, right? Not sure I buy it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: December 24, 2016, 03:26:36 am »

I don't think so. That basically falls into the same category as "drop nukes on him until he is encased in molten rock, not harming but permanently halting him". It's not really the point of the scenario.

To give you an idea of how this went, I seem to recall at one point there being a cited and sourced discussion of how long one can reasonably expect an average person to survive while being targeted by an experienced marksman with an M16. There were also permutations of granting an M249 and/or global teleportation powers. I don't think there was any tank version, but I'm sure Strife is already furiously working it out in his head upon reading this.

What it comes down to in the end is that it is simply not possible for an individual with a handheld weapon to kill enough people in 24 hours to overcome the birth rate, even accounting for societal disruption and global panic while ignoring the vast number of humans spread out in low-density or isolated areas.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: December 24, 2016, 04:36:48 am »

The math doesn't check out.
An M16 under perfect conditions has a cyclic rate of fire of 950 rounds a minute.
If every shot were a kill shot (which is unlikely) and there was always a ready crowd of people waiting to get butchered (which is unlikely), it would outstrip the world's current birth rate of 250 bpm.

So I guess the 'deranged gunman' idea involves not being able to move fast enough for a proper reaping, or that it takes more than four bullets fired to kill one person, because mechanically alone it's kosher.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: December 24, 2016, 05:06:47 am »

The question isn't of a person with an M16 being propelled down a conveyor belt while executing humanity in a line full auto. It's of a single godmode individual on planet Earth, trying to wipe out humanity as established. They have to travel, or in the improved scenario at least teleport.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: December 24, 2016, 05:58:44 am »

At which point yeah the limits of the gun are going to be the first big roadblock.
Some kind of rotary cannon might work better for that crowd penetration potential.

Also:
"drop nukes on him until he is encased in molten rock, not harming but permanently halting him".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1108 on: December 24, 2016, 06:46:10 am »

I don't think Nazis ever actually went to war with China. They ceased support, true, but never did a German soldier fire a shot at Chinese one during WW2.
They did have German advisors training and fighting with the Chinese
Most of the Chinese soldiers were relatively useless and more concerned with killing Chinese soldiers than fighting the Japanese, but with the exception of a few prominent warlords who relentlessly drilled their soldiers, the German-led armies were pretty ard as nails

Cargo subs, planes, nuclear-powered icebreakers (they reached North Pole, they can reach Canada, also imagine a fucking convoy of cargo ships lead by an icebreaker), they could even supply some on land using those crazy Arctic truck trains.
Also, yeah, you could just go through majority of the journey by Arctic and then under cover of Commonwealth fleet go by Atlantic to major port. Also, it wouldn't be that unthinkable for Canadians to just plop an major military sea port in Hudson Bay (they have some infrastructure in Churchill already, I belive).
As for Russians, either go from Sankt Petersburg through the North Sea (and still be relatviely safe due to proximity of UK and their fleets) or through Murmansk which has a considerably sized port, I belive.
That would make sense, but still doesn't quite cover the air superiority of the USA
Russia might have enough air dakka but cracking fortress USA is ard

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1109 on: December 24, 2016, 08:46:21 am »

They did have German advisors training and fighting with the Chinese
Most of the Chinese soldiers were relatively useless and more concerned with killing Chinese soldiers than fighting the Japanese, but with the exception of a few prominent warlords who relentlessly drilled their soldiers, the German-led armies were pretty ard as nails
STOP IMPLYING MY HISTORY-FU IS WEAK.
I know that Nazis helped China, the point was that even after Germany allied with Japan and ceased all support to China, they never, ever, actually took hostile action. Sure, yeah, China as part of Allies declared war on the Axis, but there was no fighting between Germany and China specifically.
That would make sense, but still doesn't quite cover the air superiority of the USA
Russia might have enough air dakka but cracking fortress USA is ard
It is, which is why I said it would proably devolve into some kind of modern attrition war (provided noone uses nukes, in which case it's a moot point anyway) where it would boil down to noone getting significant advantage, albeit with constant attacks on rear (special forces, terrorists, Tomahawks and shit) which would finally end up in complete isolation of America, Big Brother-esque internal security. Ultimately, it would result in USA loss, since the rest of world simply has more land, which means more resources and also more people.
Also, a lot depends on how far we're willing to go. Nukes are out in any scenario that implies actual combat, but what about biological and chemical weapons? Russia invested (and supposedly invests) a lot into that and it would significantly impact the war - sure, the troops have NBC gear (but gas mask filters will wear out eventually) but majority of civilian population does not have any real way to protect themselves.

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 82