Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 137271 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #975 on: July 13, 2016, 01:20:01 am »

Does it have a handle and a blade? If so it's a katana. Cutlass? No, katana. Claymore? No katana. Fencing sabre? No, katana. Lightsaber, no - it's also a katana. Cooking knife? Also a katana.

I have no idea what actually defines a katana other than it being a kind of Japanese sword.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #976 on: July 13, 2016, 01:24:26 am »

Japanese curved, single-edged sword, >60cm long blade, two-handed grip, and a bunch of other distinctive features like the handguard.
Really, if it looks like a katana then it's proably a katana of some sorts.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: July 13, 2016, 01:39:25 am »

If you cannot hold it without wobbling back and forth trying to keep yourself from getting cut, it's probably a no-dachi, aka samurai claymore.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: July 13, 2016, 01:57:31 am »

If it's made from two seperate pieces of metal? I don't think any other swords do that.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #979 on: July 13, 2016, 02:06:52 am »

If it's made from two seperate pieces of metal? I don't think any other swords do that.
What?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: July 13, 2016, 02:20:37 am »

IIRC Katanas are made from two different types of steel. The hard steel forms the edge, and the soft steel forms the back. They weld them together before quenching.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #981 on: July 13, 2016, 02:30:42 am »

Isin't that like... the basic technique of swordmaking? Like, any slightly sophisticated sword is going to be softer in middle and harder at the edges.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #982 on: July 13, 2016, 02:41:42 am »

Normally tempered in one piece, not welded.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: July 13, 2016, 09:11:23 am »

For Japanese blades, it's also the way it was cooled that produced that effect. (Tempering is differential heating, not differential cooling)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: July 18, 2016, 09:37:43 pm »

Ooh, big thread I haven't PTWed yet.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: July 19, 2016, 12:51:40 am »

Yep. High quality blades (Basically everywhere, mind you, not just Japan) have different tempers in the edge and spine.

There's also Damascus, but that's different, and also not exclusive to anything much aside from the actual town of Damascus apparently having some interesting impurities in their iron for a few centuries.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: July 19, 2016, 05:08:37 am »

Don't be so rough on katanas though, the meme is funny and it's true they weren't wonder weapons and that majority of them were dog shit, but some of them, the expensive ones, were actually pretty good. I am not arguing that it was actually used as main weapon, but there is only so many ways you can fuck up a sharp metal stick and I refuse to belive they were as bad or as good as memes make them out to be. The truth is proably somewhere in between.
No, the truth is they're good for slicing peasants and drawing on a charging Mongolian, that's where it ends. You take a weapon that's used as a shite sidearm, forget how to make it in three dark ages, stick with the same design for 1300 years and what have you got? A shit inflexible sword whose purpose is romanticism and policing
Course, with modern metallurgy you can do some neat stuff. I like the stupid tough tool steels myself. Though I doubt you'll find someone doing that with one of the pretty L6 swords. Nothing magical or mystical or superior about the katana though, it's a toy in this day and age, and those same steels will produce crazy durable blades in any shape you like. Key words being "shape you like", if you like them, cool, if not, cool. All I wanted growing up was a stick I couldn't break, closest I got for years was a fiberglass pickaxe handle that I carved a grip into, until I saw the polypropylene bokkens (which also come in waster form!), still want one of the pretty hickory ones but $20 vs $120 is a significant difference for something I'm going to use for smashing brush out of the way.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: July 19, 2016, 09:32:35 am »

Pretty sure you'd have more fun with a machete.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: July 19, 2016, 09:40:46 am »

They are fun, but you don't understand: I have found the best stick, the one which breaks all other sticks. This was literally a dream as a child, reinforced each time I found a good stick which ended up breaking later on. Was I a weird kid? Probably, but the scuffs and scrapes and whatnot on that hunk of black plastic make me happier than hacking through brush with a machete has, not to mention: I can break a machete, short of getting tools and deliberately trying to saw through this bokken I don't know how to break it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: July 19, 2016, 09:56:10 am »

True. I grew up at cattleyards where the ol-fashioned length of poly-pipe was a staple. We managed to break a few, but considering the density differences I could see that bokken being a pretty tough nut.

But at the same time, I had more fun with a cane machete going gung-ho on cacti.

Then, the Internet happened.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 82