Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 137281 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #945 on: July 12, 2016, 09:58:57 am »

Dont you know?  In WWII US marines targeted the guys with the katana's first.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 12, 2016, 10:05:50 am »

TBH, I never even played Germany.  They are so OP I just dont see any challenge.  The hard difficulty setting doesn't really increase the difficulty of anyone but France (who is starving for PP points).

Is it that bad? I was looking forward to a grueling air war against Britain and the US. I guess boosting Germany is needed if you ever want them to take France in the course of a normal game.

The problem with Germany is that essentially they played very well in summer of 1940 and you can't simulate that in the game.  There was the secret sauce important factor.  Their weird wunderwaffen were never important.  The technological differences for their equipment were mostly a wash.  The only time their tactics looked amazing was when they hit the completely disorganized and unprepared soviets.  The thing that is important about Germany is that at the operational level they had every damn thing possible break exactly the right way for them in 1940.  If the French had acted slightly differently or the Germans had acted slightly differently WWII would have been anti climatic.  We'd be sitting in this armchair general thread discussing if the Entente-Germany war might have gone differently if Italy had helped out Germany in 1939.  Germany wasn't a juggernaut, it was an underdog.

So to have things be realistic the game needs to be unbalanced.  If France and Germany play equally well, Germany should usually lose.  Paradox didn't want to make that game.  It would make a fun game for France and would be fun as Germany for good players but would be boring as hell everyone else.  So they instead made Germany have more military factories then France and Britain combined and made it so that France never gets any cash carry.  Instead of Germany the underdog, Germany can just clobber it's way through with brute force.  And when that's done Germany now has all those military factories plus the ones it took from France and the Low Countries.  Germany is now more powerful then the US.

So there is just no challenge.  The game hands Germany victory against France when that victory was actually very difficult to achieve.  And at that point Germany has such ridiculously overpower resources that they have already won.  Hitler wanted to make Germany the most powerful nation on earth.  In the game that's achieved in 1940.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 12, 2016, 10:14:09 am »

Afaik the katanas are only folded 'cos that's how oldtimeyjaps made steel.
Their steel was shit, as in it was hard to make it into a sword, not that the finished product was bad, and the easiest way to get it right was folding, IIRC. Europeans did the same thing in early middle ages with like Ulfberhts and stuff, albeit details vary.

THIS IS A LIE.  Japanese iron deposits are some of the highest grade on Earth.  Source:  My wife is a geologist(BS)/chemist(BS)/geochemist(MS)/Soil and crop science(pending PhD).  I'm done giving a damn about what anyone says about the sword or the smiths but I will not tolerate this kind of willful ignorance.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:16:27 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #949 on: July 12, 2016, 10:16:09 am »

You shouldn't expect Paradox to know how to balance games

Instead of trying to make AI balanced by being smarter, they try to make AI balanced by making them far more powerful with cheats

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: July 12, 2016, 10:24:22 am »

Their steel was shit, as in it was hard to make it into a sword, not that the finished product was bad, and the easiest way to get it right was folding, IIRC. Europeans did the same thing in early middle ages with like Ulfberhts and stuff, albeit details vary.

THIS IS A LIE.  Japanese iron deposits are some of the highest grade on Earth.  Source:  My wife is a geologist(BS)/chemist(BS)/geochemist(MS)/Soil and crop science(pending PhD).  I'm done giving a damn about what anyone says about the sword or the smiths but I will not tolerate this kind of willful ignorance.

This is surprising to me because I have seen many mentions of the opposite over the years.  Questions:

1) When you say they are high grade, are the high grade deposits ones that would have been accessible to pre-industrial japan?
2) Do you know where people would have gotten the idea that the opposite is true? (Seeing as it is so common.)
3) Why did Japan use techniques that are associated with low grade iron like excessive folding?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 12, 2016, 10:30:46 am »

1) the purity of the deposits is extremely high, having very low (almost trace) levels of intermixing/contaminants, there are very few deposits, but they have been worked since before the shogunate was originally established, I don't have the dates on hand and I don't trust wiki as this has become a stupidly charged topic.

2) the mistake appears to be based on the fact that the largest deposits of iron (I am aware of) in SE Asia are in China, and their iron is massively contaminated with sulpher, or arsenic or whatever, it's really incredibly bad metal.  Edit: I should clarify, some iron deposits are contaminated with sulpher, some with arsenic, and the rest with a weird slurry of assorted metals etc.

2) availability, Japanese (sword)smiths were directly mandated by the emperor, and were allowed only a specific amount of ore in their lifetime.  So they developed the technique to minimize the amount used while maximizing its functionality.  There are a few incidences where the emperor (typically under direction of the Shogun) increased the allotment for wartime usage.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:44:45 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: July 12, 2016, 10:34:50 am »

Sounds legit to me.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: July 12, 2016, 10:37:03 am »

Any suggestion for a nice challenge then mainiac?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 12, 2016, 10:40:31 am »

Poland and Gaunxi are fun but after that there are no more worlds to conquer, Alexander.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #955 on: July 12, 2016, 10:43:00 am »

You can always play spehss 4x

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 12, 2016, 10:49:32 am »

You can always play spehss 4x

You can even play one of the countless mods that let you be space nazi germany.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 12, 2016, 11:29:17 am »

Poland and Gaunxi are fun but after that there are no more worlds to conquer, Alexander.
Ryukyu only, no save/loading, final destination
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: July 12, 2016, 11:41:48 am »

Not in the game?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 12, 2016, 01:52:57 pm »

Their steel was shit, as in it was hard to make it into a sword, not that the finished product was bad, and the easiest way to get it right was folding, IIRC.
I'm done giving a damn about what anyone says about the sword or the smiths but I will not tolerate this kind of willful ignorance.
Hot damn son. We're all (armchair) scholars here. You teach, I'll listen.
AFAIK and IIRC are both "don't take my word as canon" addendums.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 82