Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 137294 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #885 on: July 09, 2016, 12:30:28 pm »

You don't always need protection. You always need comfort.

What if you need protection even when you think you need comfort?  :)

Composite helmet and and a fiber "flak jacket" or other kind of protective vest are definitely worth the weight. They wont protect from bullets much(if not shot far away, pistol caliber, ricochet etc.), but they do help against all the flying stones, wood splinters, shrapnel and debris. An infantryman typically is more likely to be hit by those than a bullet any way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ours looks like that without plate: the "shrapnel vest" and modular vest are separate from the plate carrier unit. So one can use one just one or two of the three depending on what is wanted, and reduce weight ie. no need to bring the plate carrier without the plate, the lighter stuff lets heat and air through better.

For example scout and sniper patrols go with just the modular vest with some pockets, and boonie hat instead of helmet; protection is traded for mobility and endurance for men in a role where they want to always avoid a firefight.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 09, 2016, 12:33:14 pm »

It depends largely on how frequently they're shot/shot at. I know individuals who had their plate stop things, then bought a bunch of supplementary gear today protect their shoulders and legs better.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 09, 2016, 12:52:47 pm »

So basically the young man's creed: "invincible until proven otherwise?"
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 09, 2016, 12:59:34 pm »

I was just pointing out the psychology of the situation. You're on duty in some base nowhere near the fighting. Why should you need to wear another 40 pounds of gear, especially considering the problems infantrymen already get from carrying so much gear for so long?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #889 on: July 09, 2016, 01:23:43 pm »

That's actually what reportedly happens. Infantry (and people in general) will tend to: ignore/discard things they think they don't need in order to be more comfortable, until the moment when something negative happens, and from then on they overcompensate in the future because of that bad experience.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 09, 2016, 02:08:41 pm »

People with more safety features in their cars will tend to have riskier driving behaviors.

Again, that's how people think. We trade off risk and convenience all the time.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 09, 2016, 02:11:57 pm »

Re: Bevors.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #892 on: July 09, 2016, 10:58:56 pm »

Exerpt from "On Killing" (beginning of Chapter 7) by Dave Grossman, a book I am becoming a little obsessed with.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 09, 2016, 11:32:35 pm »

And yet peasants were able to poke big sticks at other peasants no problem? I wonder if culture has changed.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 09, 2016, 11:36:35 pm »

Personally I always wondered how cromagnon and really really early humans felt about killing each other, if PTSD was even possible.  I like to think that the everyday environment of classical antiquity people was so saturated with hardship and violence ( or the threat of violence ) that empathy for your fellow man just didn't exist unless you were physically, socially and financially secure. 

Either that or PTSD was just as common as today, and those who suffered psychological trauma from killing were labelled cowards, and sociopaths who were able to kill for tribe, religion and country were latched onto by historians as warriors.. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #895 on: July 10, 2016, 12:25:45 am »

I don't think tribal humans actually killed each other that much. They probably fought much as how the medieval peoples fought. You would posture and intimidate your enemy by shouting and throwing missiles, and when your enemy fled that would be it. If they surrendered and you wanted to dispose of the adult males you would find ritualistic ways of killing them that remove the responsibility of the crime from any one person or distance you from the result (see: lynch mobs that hang people together, firing squads, burning witches at the stake, having someone whose job is to be an executioner). If people have been brainwashed through religious or cultural beliefs they can convince themselves that they were not responsible for a crime as a mental defense mechanism (see: the Jewish Holocaust where people were dispassionately throwing corpses around, various examples of deranged people who believe God was controlling them when they killed).

And yet peasants were able to poke big sticks at other peasants no problem? I wonder if culture has changed.
Your mistake, I think, is in assuming no one in medieval times had any problems with killing each other in combat just because there are no recorded instances of people becoming depressed after killing someone in combat. What we do know is that there is no culture in existence that hasn't punished people for murder, and also had a form of murder that was considered justified. That in itself is evidence for the instinctive urge to not kill one another to be ingrained in us as a species.

But, to take another page from David Grossman, I do think that people back then who slaughtered their own food had more knowledge and respect for the act of killing itself, since it was a time when families slaughtered their own food.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 10, 2016, 12:41:16 am »

Said no tanker ever.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 10, 2016, 12:57:24 am »

Said no tanker ever.
How much body armor do Tankers wear? Do they wear ceramic plates and the whole get-up while in the tank? Far as I know, they're not carrying 150+ lbs of gear for hours, most of the time. They're a lot more comfy(sorta) to start with, and also a lot more vulnerable because they're a more valuable target than a single infantryman.

Also, peasants hated being in the military. Desertion was usually rampant if you weren't winning. And only a few were literally on the frontlines. Why do you think morale was so important?

Also. http://www.killology.com/article_agress&viol.htm
When you don't know for certain you've killed someone, and the whole ritual of separation and 'washing away the blood' is in place, it's a lot easier to not get PTSD. Especially if the conflict is easier to justify, one way or another, rather than believing you're killing without a good cause.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #898 on: July 10, 2016, 04:31:33 am »

* Arx raises the Strife signal.

Honestly, they probably felt much the same as modern soldiers.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: July 10, 2016, 06:01:57 am »

Uh, I mean the tanks armour, not the crews body armour. No tanker would suggest removing armour modules for more legroom.
:p
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 82