Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 137304 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #840 on: July 07, 2016, 06:20:13 am »

The French men-at-arms were highly aware of the presence of English longbows, which is why they chose to wear their heaviest configuration of armor that day.
Yes, but to the full extent it can hardly be said - consider that whilst the English camp was sombre, miserable and Henry expected to die fighting, the French camp was jubilant, celebrating before their assumed victory, fighting each other for the honour of being first into battle
You don't really do that if you fully acknowledge the danger your opponent poses

Part of the question would also then be the amount of training and discipline you could expect from your troops.
As the saying goes you know, I think it's one of those well known things now that gets thrown around every now and then, guns originally took over from longbowmen not because they were more powerful or accurate (initially being both less accurate and less powerful), but because it was far easier to train than than longbowmen

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #841 on: July 07, 2016, 06:33:48 am »

Didn't the French unexpectedly lose almost all of their ranged offensive presence to the damp as well? Doesn't help.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #842 on: July 07, 2016, 06:38:34 am »

Didn't the French unexpectedly lose almost all of their ranged offensive presence to the damp as well? Doesn't help.
Nah they put them at the back of their lines cos they felt they didn't need them

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 07, 2016, 11:19:32 am »

Nah they put them at the back of their lines cos they felt they didn't need them
Prob'ly both, honestly. Even if they had used 'em, would have been close to useless.

Discipline is important, tho'
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #844 on: July 07, 2016, 11:35:28 am »

Prob'ly both, honestly. Even if they had used 'em, would have been close to useless.

Discipline is important, tho'
The English and their longbows were in the same damp as the French and their longbows though and were sick, starving, exhausted, supplies overstretched and cut off from retreat. By contrast a quarter of the French army were longbowmen or crossbowmen yet the heavy infantry marched on without their support

It is unlikely the longbowmen would've been able to take on the infantry if they too were being pelted with arrows

*EDIT
Henry’s first battle [before he was king] was not against the French, but the English. At Shrewsbury on 21 July 1403 the 16-year-old Henry, Prince of Wales, lined up alongside his father to face the forces of the rebel lord, Henry Percy.

At Shrewsbury Henry led his forces well, and made a major contribution to the victory. In the course of the battle, however, he was shot in the face by an arrow that entered below his eye, missed both brain and spinal cord and stuck in the bone at the back of the skull. To remove the embedded arrowhead, special tongs had to be designed, made and carefully inserted nearly six inches into the wound to grip and extract the metal.

It took a further three weeks to cleanse and close up the hole – and all this in the days before anaesthetics.
No wonder the man was so serious
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:38:36 am by Loud Whispers »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 07, 2016, 12:54:37 pm »

Jesus Christ that sounds like a fun injury.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #846 on: July 07, 2016, 02:42:35 pm »

Henry’s first battle [before he was king] was not against the French, but the English. At Shrewsbury on 21 July 1403 the 16-year-old Henry, Prince of Wales, lined up alongside his father to face the forces of the rebel lord, Henry Percy.

At Shrewsbury Henry led his forces well, and made a major contribution to the victory. In the course of the battle, however, he was shot in the face by an arrow that entered below his eye, missed both brain and spinal cord and stuck in the bone at the back of the skull. To remove the embedded arrowhead, special tongs had to be designed, made and carefully inserted nearly six inches into the wound to grip and extract the metal.

It took a further three weeks to cleanse and close up the hole – and all this in the days before anaesthetics.
No wonder the man was so serious
This potentially tells us a lot about just how good armor was at protecting against arrow fire. They were being pelted by arrows and where does he get shot? In the face, through the holes in his visor presumably.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: July 07, 2016, 07:32:18 pm »

Knights would come back from the crusades looking like pincushions, because the arrows simply could not penetrate. Even longbow bodkin arrows couldn't go through breastplate; they were meant to go through chainmail and other vulnerable areas and inflict damage that way, or kill the horse to topple the rider.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #848 on: July 07, 2016, 07:45:43 pm »

Yeah Agincourt casualties were from arrows that penetrated cheap wrought iron at weak spots or gaps, where riders were thrown from horses into the ground or wounded horses trampled into their own lines, or from the crush of soldiers, or soldiers who got trapped under the weight of their own armour drowning or suffocating in their suits and the mud. Also the archers straight up just killing them with daggers and mallets whilst they were stuck on the ground. And maybe a few point blank shots at the end of the battle pierced some of the high end stuff

Fucking hell, what a way to not want to die

Also on the power of the longbow:
Furthermore, the longbow in the hand of an experienced longbowman, packed quite a punch with its capacity to even puncture (early-period) steel armor over a substantial distance. This is what Gerald of Wales, the Cambro-Norman archdeacon and historian of 12th century, had to say about the Welsh longbow (the precursor to the ‘English’ variety)-

…n the war against the Welsh, one of the men of arms was struck by an arrow shot at him by a Welshman. It went right through his thigh, high up, where it was protected inside and outside the leg by his iron chausses, and then through the skirt of his leather tunic; next it penetrated that part of the saddle which is called the alva or seat; and finally it lodged in his horse, driving so deep that it killed the animal.
http://www.realmofhistory.com/2016/05/03/10-interesting-facts-english-longbowman/
Dank

Noting how powerful they were, it goes to show just how effective good plate armour (with padding beneath to boot) was, to be able to weather longbows more or less all right
In a modern test, a direct hit from a steel bodkin point penetrated Damascus mail armour.

However, even heavy-draw longbows have trouble penetrating well-made steel plate armour, which was used increasingly after 1350.
Recommended read in regards to modern testing
Strickland and Hardy suggest that "even at a range of 240 yards heavy war arrows shot from bows of poundages in the mid- to upper range possessed by the Mary Rose bows would have been capable of killing or severely wounding men equipped with armour of wrought iron. Higher-quality armour of steel would have given considerably greater protection, which accords well with the experience of Oxford's men against the elite French vanguard at Poitiers in 1356, and des Ursin's statement that the French knights of the first ranks at Agincourt, which included some of the most important (and thus best-equipped) nobles, remained comparatively unhurt by the English arrows."

Modern tests and contemporary accounts agree therefore that well-made plate armour could protect against longbows, however there are a number of caveats to this point; not all plate armour was well-made or well looked after, and there were also weak points in the eye and air holes and joints where arrows could penetrate, meaning that even if the armour was proof against nearly all arrows, being shot at by thousands of longbowmen would have been an uncomfortable experience, physically and mentally. One contemporary French account described the barrage at Agincourt against French knights wearing plate armour as a "terrifying hail of arrow shot".
Oh hey, my armchair general thoughts on the psychological effects turned out to not be total bullshit
That basically makes me Armchair Henry

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #849 on: July 07, 2016, 11:30:54 pm »

If armor couldn't protect against arrow fire why did they wear armor?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 07, 2016, 11:37:25 pm »

Body armor can't stop a rifle round at under 100 meters, why wear it?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 07, 2016, 11:43:34 pm »

It can't?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 07, 2016, 11:49:13 pm »

I don't actually know the exact figures, but a rifle round needs to lose the majority of its energy before military vests can stop it.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 07, 2016, 11:53:10 pm »

Military vests?  The kind with the ceramic plates?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 07, 2016, 11:58:55 pm »

Yes, that kind.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:00:29 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 82