Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 137383 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #705 on: July 04, 2016, 05:24:30 am »

Yeah, Time War Daleks are near the very top of all sci-fi civilizations ranked by power. Only Time Lords are above them.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #706 on: July 04, 2016, 05:47:02 am »

To throw some fantasy in the sci-fi (although it's probably been discussed already), is there any (tech-equivalent) answer to pike and shot? It's such a crappy end to the swords and horses era.
Winged Hussars.
:*

Spoiler: ITT: Fuck pikemen. (click to show/hide)
Don't forget carabiners and mongolians

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 04, 2016, 09:20:57 am »

(Star Gate/Trek is not exactly my area, so I have no idea how powerful those things are.)
If I recall correctly, the Daleks couldn't actually manipulate time and space, they were just borderline invincible wherever or whenever they happened to be.
Either way, they all lose to Khorne [/copout]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 09:27:05 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #708 on: July 04, 2016, 10:39:03 am »

So all they needed to do was make the yeoman act less about longbows and more about zweihanders?

A funny mental picture at the very least.
The big misconception was that the doppelsoldners had an advantage because they could use their swords to chop the ends off pikes. This...may or may not be possible? No, their main advantage came from their weapons being shorter than pikes, but longer than what sidearms the enemy might have. So during a large push of pike they would exploit gaps, because once you had gotten past the tips of the pikes you were in little danger and you could close with the enemy and start controlling a large area with your huge sword, worsening the gap in their formation.

Would be interested to see if a Swiss pike square would beat a post-Marian cohort or Macedonian phalanx.
There was actually a post about just that on Sufficient Velocity, except it was a Spanish tercio. IIRC the determination was that 15th century gunfire would send them running.

Fakeedit: https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/spanish-tercio-versus-three-roman-legions.2358/#post-244177
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 10:43:22 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 04, 2016, 10:40:17 am »

Similarly to how Trek is tiers higher on the tech pole then Star Wars, the Daleks are at least as many tiers higher then Trek. Yes, even the Borg.

The entire point to the borg and the replicators is how they are good at reverse engineering technology.  If ever a single Dalek gets broken and lost, the Borg and replicators will reverse engineer all that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 04, 2016, 10:48:52 am »

Similarly to how Trek is tiers higher on the tech pole then Star Wars, the Daleks are at least as many tiers higher then Trek. Yes, even the Borg.

The entire point to the borg and the replicators is how they are good at reverse engineering technology.  If ever a single Dalek gets broken and lost, the Borg and replicators will reverse engineer all that.
Borg "reverse engineering" didn't help them against Species 8472. And that level of technology was way below the Daleks.
._.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 04, 2016, 10:55:33 am »

Borg "reverse engineering" didn't help them against Species 8472. And that level of technology was way below the Daleks.
^
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 04, 2016, 11:00:17 am »

It's an adaptation race.  The Federation is able to adapt to the Borg just a little faster then the Borg can adapt to new Federation tactics.  The Borg are very bad at assimilating Species 8472 ideas so Species 8472 can adapt to fight the Borg far faster then the Borg can adapt to fight Species 8472.

Now how quickly or slowly do the Daleks adapt to the unknown?  What about the Daleks make them difficult or easy for the Borg to assimilate their technology?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 04, 2016, 12:09:55 pm »

Mayhaps Mass Effect reapers would be better as an adaption race. Unsure if Daleks can be indoctrinated, but hey.

So during a large push of pike they would exploit gaps, because once you had gotten past the tips of the pikes you were in little danger and you could close with the enemy and start controlling a large area with your huge sword, worsening the gap in their formation.
I'm even skeptical on that mark, as most pike formations were able to put multiple ranks of pikes ahead of the formation. There's a reason why a formation with 18000 pikes had 2000 doppelhanders, especially if the pikemen were the powerful charging force like the early Swiss, rather than the slow tercios present later.
I think the greatswords were simply too cool/fashionable for people to accept that they weren't a winning weapon.

The determination was that 15th century gunfire would send them running.
A really interesting read- although yeah I'd prefer the pike square comparison rather than the tercio simply for the lack of firearms present.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 04, 2016, 12:51:00 pm »

Mayhaps Mass Effect reapers would be better as an adaption race.

The Mass Effect reapers are very inconsistent because the writers of mass effect 2 were utterly lacking in creativity.  We are told they are adaptable and planners but then they show up and they aren't any of these things.  Possibly even worse then Star Wars.

The reapers also are on the lower tech side of things.  They have computers but they are bound by newtonian physics outside of FTL.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 04, 2016, 12:55:11 pm »

So, the ranking so far seems to be Time Lords > Dalek > Star Trek > Star Wars > Imperium of Man > Battlestar Galactica ?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 04, 2016, 01:11:39 pm »

Star Wars is absolutely more powerful than Star Trek, and I don't know how anybody could think otherwise. Star Wars has casual interstellar travel and many, many thousands of years of technological stagnation at a level that is far beyond Trek. Trek, at least during the show period, is still getting established in the galaxy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 04, 2016, 01:14:43 pm »

So, the ranking so far seems to be Time Lords > Dalek > Star Trek > Star Wars > Imperium of Man > Battlestar Galactica ?
Add Xeelee between Dalek and Star Trek, too. They're kind of bonkers strong, the only reason why they're below is that they're still technically bound by physical laws, and Daleks/Time Lords are not, due to their ability to rewrite laws of reality with Eye of Harmony at their strongest showings.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 04, 2016, 01:15:31 pm »

What the heck are Xeelee?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #719 on: July 04, 2016, 01:19:28 pm »

So, the ranking so far seems to be Imperium of Man > Time Lords > Dalek > Star Trek > Star Wars > Battlestar Galactica ?
Ordo Chronos dissaproves.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 82