Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 137560 times)

Aeax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #195 on: August 18, 2014, 11:50:50 pm »

I've read from the first post, and since we're no longer restricted to talking about American invading Europe anymore, how about a possible Roman Empire vs Han Empire? I'm interested in a comparison between these two seemingly parallel nations.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2014, 09:13:17 am »

Way too far away from each other. Such a war would be a logistic nightmare for both sides.
Plus they're not really parallel: The Chinese empire was ethnically homogenous (kinda), and had a completely different inner structure. Plus their way of selecting officials was very different from the Roman one.

England did swing politics for many centuries - they probably wouldn't allow a fundamental alteration of the status quo in Western Europe. Perhaps the Great War would be just another regular one, as France and Germany cease hostilities after a few weeks or months. But the Russian front, that's interesting: England and Russia were geopolitical rivals in many places...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2014, 09:19:28 am »

The Chinese empire was ethnically homogenous (kinda), and had a completely different inner structure.

Not really.  Linguistically similar but even after hundreds of years of suppressing ethnicity, there's still a lot of minorities in China today.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2014, 10:15:29 am »

And even linguistically, there are so many different dialects of Chinese that people from other ends of China may only barely understand each other.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 19, 2014, 12:43:34 pm »

They may if they write it down: The Chinese writing system is the same all over China.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 19, 2014, 02:49:08 pm »

China has only been unified through a lot of effort and wars.  Its quite impressive, really.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 20, 2014, 05:16:25 am »

It's more of a diplomatic than a military question, but anyway: in 1954, a year after Stalin's death, the USSR applied to join NATO. Western governments rejected the proposal. In response, a year later the Warsaw Treaty Organization was created. It was more known in the West as the Warsaw Pact.

What would happen if the Soviet Union was allowed to become a NATO member state? Would the Cold War subside or would the mutual animosity between the USSR and the USA tear the organization apart?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:24:07 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 20, 2014, 12:28:18 pm »

That's way too open ended to answer.  The USSR NATO bid was after the iron curtain had clamped down on revolutions in eastern Europe and after the Korean war.  For that to end you are basically talking about a negotiated end to the Cold War which means both sides would need to massively change their outlooks in a way that neither side was interested in doing.  It's such a big divergence that one answer isn't possible.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 20, 2014, 09:42:32 pm »

I've read from the first post, and since we're no longer restricted to talking about American invading Europe anymore, how about a possible Roman Empire vs Han Empire? I'm interested in a comparison between these two seemingly parallel nations.

I'm reminded of the outcome of the Byzanto-Persian wars: both empires, nearly evenly matched, crippled each other via wars and plagues until both powers were vulnerable to a newly emergent outside force: Islam. You have to specify leaders and time periods for each empire, because the nature of the military and administration for both Han and Rome changed dramatically over the centuries as their rulers learned to bureaucracy.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 26, 2014, 04:33:34 am »

Let's fire this up again: The US states against each other. What alliances would form? How would the war end?
The Bay12 postcard club

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 26, 2014, 04:43:07 am »

The Dakotas and Manitoba win.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 26, 2014, 04:44:14 am »

The north/south divide still seems pretty clear to me. As for probable outcome... well, that depends which side is "legitimate" and can retain control of the majority of the US army, air force and navy. I suspect that would be the "northern" faction.
This is a blank sig.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 26, 2014, 05:04:46 am »

Nooo, he means a Senate brawl.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 26, 2014, 05:08:50 am »

Nooo, he means a Senate brawl.
Depends on the amount of nanomachines.
._.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 26, 2014, 05:29:43 am »

The non-voting delegates from the House of Representatives storm in with lead pipes and chains to finally establish themselves into the US Senate.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 82