Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Teaching An Apprentice -A Suggestion Game  (Read 11422 times)

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching An Apprentice -A Suggestion Game
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2014, 04:04:15 am »

As much as I like Harry's suggestion, I think we want to give shade some additional suggestions to work with, seeing as we can do multiple things. So~, I say we let her stew for a few questions longer, before going ahead with the instruction.

Ask her which elven lineage she comes from.
She can't really mess up that one, now can she? Actually, I am sure she could, but still.

Ask her where she learned her current skills, and what motivated her to choose this path.
While we are not under any obligation to know as much, doing so can't really hurt either.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2014, 04:07:29 am »

As much as I like Harry's suggestion, I think we want to give shade some additional suggestions to work with, seeing as we can do multiple things. So~, I say we let her stew for a few questions longer, before going ahead with the instruction.

Ask her which elven lineage she comes from.
She can't really mess up that one, now can she? Actually, I am sure she could, but still.

Ask her where she learned her current skills, and what motivated her to choose this path.
While we are not under any obligation to know as much, doing so can't really hurt either.
+1
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2014, 07:27:59 am »

"What elven lineage are you from, miss?" you ask, your voice calm even in the face of her previous words.
"I-I come from a very noble one," she replies with a startled expression. "We're t-thrice removed cousins from her majesty, yes indeed!" she exclaims, proud of it. You raise an eyebrow. "A-And I went just last month to a party of the most nobles of the elf court!"
"Don't the elves have a democracy?" you ask kindly.
Miss Shuu turns a startling bright red color.
"O-Of course! B-But we also have a monarch! In exile! But that's not something anyone knows. It's a very important elf secret!"
"Of course, of course," you reply calmly, with a knowing nod. Did her parents let her fall too many times on the ground or what?

There is an awkward moment of silence, that lasts until you ask her another question -startling her once more.
"Where did you learn your current skills, Miss?"
"I-I was taught by the greatest private masters there were available!" she says, "And-And my older sister's an accomplished Elemental Wizard, so she showed me her tricks, and taught me with her books, and my grandmother's a powerful necromancer, and she too taught me, because I was her favorite, and-"
"And why would you rather learn under me than under them?" you ask casually, an eyebrow raised.
"B-Because I also want to be an adventurer! Yes, a very exciting adventure is what I want! And-And well, they didn't have always time to help me, because they're so strong and powerful, they're always asked to do stuff for the elf government! B-But you wouldn't have heard of them, because they do secret missions for them! Very secret ones, b-but they benefit everyone, yes, they do!""

You calmly massage your forehead.
Your master taught you the benefit of patience -especially because you needed a lot to deal with him- but this is really starting to get quite heavy.
"Miss Shuu," you say calmly. "I think we can start our first lesson—"
And she quickly scrambles to take out a bloc notes and a quill feather.
You blink as she hastily uncaps the ink-pot, throwing ink everywhere on her clothes -but not caring, since they're black- and proceeding to grab the parchment and the quill to scribble down what you're about to say.
You speak slowly.
"The first thing to remember is that a wizard has only a modicum of shame, for the laws of physics and society mean little to them, though they must still value respect. An adventurer needs no shame, as they perform deeds that make all other eccentricities acceptable with time. And a necromancer cannot afford shame, for then they cannot even begin to learn the wonderful art. As such, shamelessness is an art worth mastering for any Awn-in-training, and one of the most valuable attributes one can have in life."

Shuu frowns. "What does Awn mean?"
"It's an Acronym," you reply. "Adventurous, Wizard, Necromancer, called 'Awn' for short. And you'd be a AAWN. An Apprentice Adventurous Wizard Necromancer..." the thought makes you stop for a moment.
Uh. 'Yawn' would be better, wouldn't it? 'Young Adventurous Wizard Necromancer'. A Yawn. AYAWN. Apprentice Young Adventurous Wizard Necromancer.

She quickly nods and scribbles it down.
"W-Will it be in a test?" she asks next, quite fearfully.
You sigh.
It's going to be a long trip home...

Other questions you wish to ask her?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2014, 07:36:50 am »

"Perhaps. But the tests an awn undergoes tend to be more practical than theoretical, if you catch my meaning."

No more questions. Not like she's in an overly cooperative mood anyway.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2014, 07:38:49 am »

"Perhaps. But the tests an awn undergoes tend to be more practical than theoretical, if you catch my meaning."

1+, and then stay in awkward silence for the rest of the trip
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2014, 08:01:44 am »

+1 And do the most mysterious expression you can the entire trip home.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2014, 11:23:24 am »

"Ok, let's go one step back. Let me tell you about my master. He had about several apprentices before me, do you know why? because he didn't care for the weak.
He took them to dangerous places, and if they couldn't survive they were not fit to be his apprentices.
I remember my first adventure with him. He told off a simple crypt, Guaranteed corpses, maybe some looting. A horde of deathknights was what we got.
He was surprised i survived. And surviving i did. I SURVIVED my apprenticeship. Under that master that alone was enough to call myself Master. I plan on surviving for a long time.
Now, do you want the long, boring and moderately safe route or the quick, exciting and dangerous one, that will leave you more fit to survive afterwards?"
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2014, 11:26:36 am »

"Ok, let's go one step back. Let me tell you about my master. He had about several apprentices before me, do you know why? because he didn't care for the weak.
He took them to dangerous places, and if they couldn't survive they were not fit to be his apprentices.
I remember my first adventure with him. He told off a simple crypt, Guaranteed corpses, maybe some looting. A horde of deathknights was what we got.
He was surprised i survived. And surviving i did. I SURVIVED my apprenticeship. Under that master that alone was enough to call myself Master. I plan on surviving for a long time.
Now, do you want the long, boring and moderately safe route or the quick, exciting and dangerous one, that will leave you more fit to survive afterwards?"
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2014, 11:30:23 am »

-1, because forthright explanation runs contrary to our purpose! Do not tell her any of this!

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2014, 11:48:07 am »

-1, because forthright explanation runs contrary to our purpose! Do not tell her any of this!

+1 And do the most mysterious expression you can the entire trip home.
+1

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2014, 12:03:58 pm »

>:(
Take a closer look at this text!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2014, 01:17:35 pm »

How about we turn it into an apptitude test?

There are two hunters, in the forest, both of which are hunting the same deer, the later having a good headstart on them. They hound it towards a valley, and their route of choice is split in two. One of them wants to follow the animal by scaling down a cliff-face. He should be able to manage it, but just might fall on the descent. But if he is albe to do so, he will surely be able to ambush the deer. The other one, plans to chase the deer by the lay of the land, where he just might be able to gain on it, and has not to brave any complications like the other hunter does.

Which one of them, would you think to win?

Feel free to brush up the wording, but such a comparison would not be as obvious as asking for her opinion outright. Also, since this is not a question where she can embellish her own existence, nor can sense what answer we would seek preferable, we might actually be able to see an honest answer from her. After all, if she can sense no reason to lie, she just might not be compelled to do so either.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2014, 01:37:40 pm »

Problem is, there's zero point in asking her about her future right now, since:

A: she's highly embarrassed,
B: she's not very well-educated about things,
C: she's in transit, and psychologically not settled down yet,
D: we have all the time in the world,
E: rushing things overmuch is a silly thing to do, and overly confusing.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:09:31 am by Harry Baldman »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2014, 07:33:26 pm »

Still...not getting the hint.
Someone, be Captain Obvious and explain.

Well, I guess I can provide a relevant link to a relevant LP if nobody minds.

Here it is!

Just read through that whole LP and... fucking Dr Shuu.  o_o

Also, +1 for terrifying silence!
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2014, 07:47:23 pm »

Still...not getting the hint.
Someone, be Captain Obvious and explain.

Well, I guess I can provide a relevant link to a relevant LP if nobody minds.

Here it is!

Just read through that whole LP and... fucking Dr Shuu.  o_o

Also, +1 for terrifying silence!

Ho ho ho...
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9