Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Teaching An Apprentice -A Suggestion Game  (Read 11410 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching An Apprentice -A Suggestion Game
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 05:41:50 am »

The Archaeologist Guild seems like the perfect choice, given how much sense it makes for an Awn to take up a job that involves tombs, adventure, corpses and wizardry all at the same time!

As for our apprentice, he/she should say one thing and mean another! That's the most fun kind of apprentice.

And also a countryside house would be awesome, because stairs suck and large fields to blow up/dig up/raise the dead from are always wonderful. And also you can assign your apprentices farm work if you feel they've displeased you.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:05:18 am by Harry Baldman »

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 05:55:29 am »

Still, the Guild you belong to is...
The Mages' Guild. The desire to acquire magical knowledge is the fundamental requirement to enter it.

And you, among its numbers, have now become a Master. You'll get your first student soon enough, and you already heard through the grapevine that...
You don't know its sex (Coin Flip)

and that...
The Apprentice is a quiet youth, maybe too quiet.

but you're not worried about that mostly, and the chambers for him are already prepared by your servants anyway. You live, after all...
In a tower, as is proper for any mage.
+1
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 06:18:01 am »

The Archaeologist Guild seems like the perfect choice, given how much sense it makes for an Awn to take up a job that involves tombs, adventure, corpses and wizardry all at the same time!

As for our apprentice, he/she should say one thing and mean another! That's the most fun kind of apprentice.

And also a countryside house would be awesome, because stairs suck and large fields to blow up/dig up/raise the dead from are always wonderful. And also you can assign your apprentices farm work if you feel they've displeased you.
+1

Migue5356

• Bay Watcher
  • grisha5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 06:48:46 am »

The Mages' Guild. The desire to acquire magical knowledge is the fundamental requirement to enter it.

And you, among its numbers, have now become a Master. You'll get your first student soon enough, and you already heard through the grapevine that...

and that...
The Apprentice is a quiet youth, maybe too quiet.

but you're not worried about that mostly, and the chambers for him are already prepared by your servants anyway. You live, after all...
+1
+1
]hi guys,im back, who was missing me?

Y-you know. I'm just going to leave. You've all managed to thoroughly horrify me...

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 06:52:01 am »

+1
+1
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

aattss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 07:06:50 am »

Archeologist
He-she-he (or some other mix of the same)
Trouble child
Castle keep

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 09:22:39 am »

+1
+1
+1
Take a closer look at this text!

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 11:52:54 am »

and that...
The Apprentice is a boisterous youth, maybe too boisterous.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 11:58:05 am »

+1
+1
+1
+1

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 01:06:26 pm »

Vote Halt. Now counting.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 01:11:45 pm »

My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 01:21:30 pm »

Your contacts in the Archaeologist guild told you, through the grapevine, that the youngster's a good person, at heart. if only its mouth were also where his mind was, then it would be the perfect apprentice.

Unfortunately, you never did manage to catch if it was a boy or a girl, but that is soon answered as you wait for 'it' at the train station a bit far away from your countryside house, filled with fields where your undead toil and work -and then shamble their way selling produce to the nearby cities.

The power of steam and magic is excellent in making things work fast -but they rarely beat undead horses, like the one that pulled your carriage just outside the train station, for what matters in 'consumption'.
Engines must be fed coal.
Undead mustn't be fed to begin with.
As you stand in wait, you mull over the very last and most fundamental things a Master must have, and as you do that, you open up the letter addressed to you by your guild, referring the name of your apprentice -you could have opened it before and solved the hassle of your Apprentice's sex, but frankly, what is life without a bit of a thrill every here and there?

Oh, it's a 'Miss'! This means it's a girl.

'Dear [Insert Your Name],
Miss [Insert Apprentice Name] will be with you shortly. I assume as she is your first Apprentice, you are either utterly green or have already scoured your extensive library for the ways other teachers go about their job. Let me assure you: those books lie. As I took you under my wing, I was pretty sure you wouldn't have amounted to nothing more than bird crap under the foot of a Death Knight. Boy was I proven wrong when you actually managed to survive our first expedition.'
So that explains why your master looked shocked after that stint in that 'perfectly harmless crypt' which turned out to hold more Death Knights than whores at a whorehouse in the middle of the capital.
'I hope you will cater to your Apprentice's needs with the utmost respect. It is known that the bond between a Master and an Apprentice is a wonderful thing, but at the same time, it is also one many would abuse. Having an Apprentice isn't just about having a conveniently underpaid slave at your disposal who can't say no,' oh, really, master 'wash my shoes or you won't eat tonight'? 'but it's about teaching morals and educating a very impressionable youth into a path you think is best for them. Remember my words, my Apprentice -you'll forever be one in my eyes, no matter what rank you think you can achieve in the guild- as you go along...wring it. Usually, it works.
Always your Master,
[Insert Your Master's Name here]'

Although your desire to burn the letter through magic flames is quite high, there is a tiny bit of truth in the words your master wrote.

Especially about the impressionable youth bit.

As you wait for her train to arrive, you mull over a few things. Well, mostly the most important one of them all.

What sort of rapport will you hold?
A stern and stiff one, keeping her at an arm's length all the time and trying your hardest to traumatize her into excelling, or committing suicide?
An encouraging one, which might stunt her growth, but will not traumatize her beyond doubt?
A neutral one, where you'll see what to do with her depending on which level of verbal abuse she can take before snapping?
The same apprenticing you suffered under your master?
Or [Insert Rapport.]

“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 02:03:10 pm »

Maintain a careful image of smugness and inscrutability as she is instructed, implying you know far more than you are letting on at any given moment. Be mysterious and such to provoke interest, and make sure to smile knowingly when she asks questions and so forth. Never verbally or physically abuse her, but instead wittily comment on whatever she fails at (without being overly dickish, of course), do the same for successes. Indirectly hint at awesome adventures you've had, but do not ever brag, or provide the complete story, even if she asks for it. Instead be cryptic if she desires knowledge you have not decided to provide yet. Head off on mysterious business often, leaving her alone in the house. Make sure she has plenty of opportunity to socialize with the locals. Do not express much sympathy for her, but do not mock her, either.

In short, be the wisest, most mysterious man you can be.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 02:03:58 pm »

Maintain a careful image of smugness and inscrutability as she is instructed, implying you know far more than you are letting on at any given moment. Be mysterious and such to provoke interest, and make sure to smile knowingly when she asks questions and so forth. Never verbally or physically abuse her, but instead wittily comment on whatever she fails at (without being overly dickish, of course), do the same for successes. Indirectly hint at awesome adventures you've had, but do not ever brag, or provide the complete story, even if she asks for it. Instead be cryptic if she desires knowledge you have not decided to provide yet. Head off on mysterious business often, leaving her alone in the house. Make sure she has plenty of opportunity to socialize with the locals. Do not express much sympathy for her, but do not mock her, either.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 02:56:05 pm »

+1
Take a closer look at this text!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9