Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buildings in my embark site  (Read 804 times)

Rancidgnome

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Buildings in my embark site
« on: August 04, 2014, 08:34:01 am »

I've been a long time lurker (first posting) and playing Dwarf Fortress since 2012 but in my newest .40.06 world I found something I haven't seen before. When my group of dwarves first arrived at my current site and I started looking around I noticed several buildings made up troll fur, cave spider silk and giant rat leather.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the lighter colored structures are the cave spider silk
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My neighbor screen showed that my civ is at war with the elves and that there is a tower nearby. The only creatures listed on the unit screen are some river otters. Before I unpause I thought I would ask if anyone might know what these buildings mean.

Getix Kain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Buildings in my embark site
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 08:55:30 am »

I've read somewhere else that they are bandit camps.

Never seen them before in my games..

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 09:00:02 am »

I believe they are tents, which show up in camps.

Rancidgnome

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 09:09:15 am »

Well lets hope they are unoccupied after I unpause. I wasn't planning on combat this quickly, but I did bring a few copper hammers for my hammer dwarves and a crossbow for the hunter just in case the tower sent a welcome party sooner than the fall. Good news is there is magnetite and chalk visible by the river so I have steel if given enough time to work it.

lorduberspaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 12:10:54 pm »

I had the same, but with some lovely smoking camp fires which stayed lit in the snow while my injured dwarves dehydrated to death due to waterfall turning to ice.

Rancidgnome

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 12:40:38 pm »

I had the same, but with some lovely smoking camp fires which stayed lit in the snow while my injured dwarves dehydrated to death due to waterfall turning to ice.

If your interested I could upload a copy of my save. Its right after embark but before I started to run it. There is a river and its a warm climate so dehydration shouldn't be a problem.