Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are undead still nearly indestructible?  (Read 2849 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Are undead still nearly indestructible?
« on: August 03, 2014, 07:29:57 pm »

Or has that yet to have been addressed in the updates?
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
Re: Are undead still nearly indestructible?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 07:40:44 pm »

They can be damaged by blunt weapons and be killed with magma, for one.  Undead are much stronger than before however, since they no longer have hit points, and they are not affected by morale.

grisha5

• Bay Watcher
  • [SACRIFICE_CAT:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:33:07 pm »

never faced undead yet
kittunns yay ~WalterWhite from DashNet forums
i am a cat. with a laser gun to shoot cat killers

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:08:02 pm »

It seems like only pulping can kill them. I have successfully bisected and decapitated zombies without striking them down on separate occasions.

Never managed both of those on the same zombie before though.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 10:56:47 pm »

You can kill undead with edged weapons if their head is cloven asunder!

SADEyX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 05:40:05 am »

When I get a necro siege,  they tend to just bumble about at the other side of the map..  is that intended?

There are far too many for me to attack with my paltry army so I do need them to walk into my traps :(

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 07:47:49 am »

Undead aren't nearly unkillable, they are difficult to kill. That is it.

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 09:39:07 am »

Did you even read the topic subject?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 09:46:18 am »

When I get a necro siege,  they tend to just bumble about at the other side of the map..  is that intended?

There are far too many for me to attack with my paltry army so I do need them to walk into my traps :(

This.

I would really like to be able to get some of the FPS-eating zombies off of my map, but they all just path around in the NW edge, doing nothing but irritating the wildlife and ambushing travelers/caravans/migrants.  The necromancer is in plain view, a human mechanic, and just piddles around up there with her bodyguard and about 70 ambulatory corpses.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 10:00:08 am »

In adventure mode I've done some experiments. You can remove/destroy HEAD and GRASP bodyparts more or less at will. As long as the zombie still has at least one, they'll still come after you. The good news is you can destroy or pulp them and they'll be unrevivable.  No legs will slow them down. No head means they can't bite you, which is honestly a big hit to their lethality.

(The mental image of a torso, no legs, no head, and one arm flailing at me will be forever filed away under H for Hilarity)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 11:10:48 am »

Did you even read the topic subject?

Sure. There is nothing to be adressed regarding their difficult to kill.

There are bugs regarding their pathfinding, that is all.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 12:31:31 pm »

I did a few rounds of arena testing, using a grand master fighter/weapon skills dwarf vs animated corpses.

- If you pulp (crush, cleave asunder, explode into gore, etc.) the head while it is still attached, the animated corpse is struck down

- If you sever the head, or sever the head & neck, the animated corpse is NOT struck down. You are much better off trying to sever a foot.

- Animated corpses, if empty handed, tend to catch your attacks and either steal the weapon from your grasp or joint lock the wrist, even if you are a good fighter/weapon user! I recommend gaining wrestling skill before engaging them in melee.

- Since they like to sprint at you at the start of combat, position so that they have to slow down and turn a corner before engaging. Don't just stand there and wait for it to charge you!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 01:31:56 pm »

The worst undead I fought were yaks and musk ox. But what is broken is how lethal they are even alive, not the fact they are undead. The difficult of the undead is just fine if you think you are fighting someone that feels no pain, do not bleed, do not feel fear or exhaustion and is magically super strong.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 06:31:37 pm »

The worst undead I fought were yaks and musk ox. But what is broken is how lethal they are even alive, not the fact they are undead. The difficult of the undead is just fine if you think you are fighting someone that feels no pain, do not bleed, do not feel fear or exhaustion and is magically super strong.

I don't think a corpse should be stronger than the living creature, as a matter of principle. In most modern films containing zombies, one zombie is individually very weak, which I think is accurate.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 06:59:08 pm »

I don't think a corpse should be stronger than the living creature, as a matter of principle. In most modern films containing zombies, one zombie is individually very weak, which I think is accurate.

In DF, undead are usually the result of evil magic, so it makes sense for the setting. Though I mod in weaker zombies.

Undead in DF get a massive boost to their strength and toughness. The example interactions found in the raws give a 3x boost plus an additional 1,000 points to both of these stats, but it may vary when actually in-game, as the interactions are somewhat randomized.

Having only 1,000 points in a physical attribute would make you average for most creatures, though some creatures have different averages. Dwarves have an average strength of 1,250 for example.

Though the size of a creature also greatly affects their combat efficiency, not accounting for skills. An incredibly strong rabbit probably won't hold up well against an incredibly weak whale, for instance.

They still act a bit strange, I think. Bisection and decapitation won't kill them, but pulping the head or lower body will. Even demons can't survive decapitation or bisection.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:12:41 pm by BlackFlyme »
Pages: [1] 2