Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burning dwarf?  (Read 1089 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burning dwarf?
« on: August 03, 2014, 06:48:30 pm »

So...

I had a miner.  He drilled into magma, and got out in time (I thought).  He was red and burned looking, but showed no health consequences at all on his character screen.  I felt bad, so I made him a chest and cabinet of his favorite metal - he was a hero of my fort.

At least SIX MONTHS after his inadvertent lava bath, he !!spontaneously combusts!! while admiring the memorial slabs in the graveyard.  Everyone around "choked on smoke underground", "endured the decay of a deceased companion", "lost a friend to tragedy" etc. etc. ad nauseam.

Why the six month delay, with no written label??  How did he manage to go six months on fire without any consequences?  AFAIK I know he was "Ecstatic" right up until he became dwarfburger.

Help?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

LarsGerhard

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYTHING IS FINE
    • View Profile
Re: Burning dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 06:54:13 pm »

Just to make sure, you didn't turn temperature off and then on again right?

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 07:01:02 pm »

I am sorry for the loss of your dwarf but....

Thats hilarious! :D

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 07:03:14 pm »

Maybe he kept a magma souvenir in his backpack/hands and decided to take it out/equip it?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 07:08:45 pm »

Just to make sure, you didn't turn temperature off and then on again right?

Haha... no, afraid not.  First warning I get is "Miner Mengtirist, Miner has been found dead." and when I (z) in on the event, there's a huge choking cloud of black smoke in the mausoleum (of all places!)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 07:28:50 pm »

Was this by any chance shortly after loading from a save?

I've learned that some things (some types of cave-in, some types of 'covered in magma' combustion, etc) get proced after loading a save.
//Torrenal

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 11:16:21 pm »

It sounds like something he was wearing or carrying had a magma covering and he eventually burned to death from it.

That's just a guess though.

Next time you'll want to dunk him in some water.

You can also try using a channel instead of a dig order, but that could be risky. What I usually do is the lazy route of finding a less than useful sacrificial dwarf to give to the volcano and seal him behind a magma safe floodgate or even just a wall.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 12:54:19 am »

So far, my magma work's involved fortifications carved in the wall, with ample distant engraving work to give the dwarf an immediate new job, and, where necessary, a high traffic route designated.

This usually lets my dwarf survive to another day after opening a magma tube.

Usually.

For this instance, I'm thinking something like this happened, but with a living dwarf, not a corpse:  http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6432
//Torrenal

Fat Friar

• Bay Watcher
  • Now you're thinking with magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 02:31:58 am »

Burning dwarf? *inhales deeply* Smells like a fortress.
Nobles always ask for a nice tomb. See that they make good use of it.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 03:36:53 am »

That's really weird. Maybe something he was wearing had a magma covering and somehow didn't burn for that long?

As for magma tunnels, if you channel out the last tile(s) of your tunnel before the wall that magma on the other side, you can then build a bridge over the hole and then have your miners dig the wall out from the ramps beneath it after you block off any access to the actual tunnel.

Before bridge

z 1
W - F
W - F

z - 1

W R F
W R F

W = natural wall
- = open space
R = ramp
F = floor

Then build the bridge over the open space and block of any access to the tunnel. Since they can't get to the actual wall, the miners will use the ramps to did from below.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:38:56 am by Repseki »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 08:33:35 am »

Yes, this was actually my second miner to die to magma, but the first one died because the magma sea was one level higher than the engineers said it would be.  Whoops.  That's all normal dwarven fun.

I gave him a place to stand and channeled the tile that would open the magma-dump shaft, he just insisted on standing directly on top of it when he did it.

He then climbed out, displaying as !!on fire!! but with no notes anywhere in his health/preferences screens, and lived for six months ecstatic before spontaneously combusting.

Smells like a bug to me.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 09:26:44 am »

Another, perhaps more likely possibility is that he was corpulent and had extremely thin fat layer. Damage from fire is actually bleeding caused by the fat in the dwarf's body melting so in rare cases if the dwarf is corpulent enough it will be practically immune to high temperatures. This has led to some cases of dwarfs standing in slowly rising magma for months until finally drowning or starving to death.
Oops, misunderstood the question. Sorry
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 09:33:12 am »

The gods of RNG were both bitter and impressed he managed to escape lava. They had him killed in the mausoleum to save on hauling labour.
Everything's in the news today

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 10:13:46 am »

I'm pretty sure he angred Armok and got smited, wholly unrelated to the magma.