Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sudden drop from 50 FPS to 6...  (Read 1257 times)

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sudden drop from 50 FPS to 6...
« on: August 02, 2014, 08:34:29 pm »

Hi guys,

Currently on a modestly sized fort of 88 dwarves. Sadly, today there has suddenly been a giant drop in FPS from where I was at about 50ish FPS down to 6 FPS steady. I checked units and only a few crundles and keas. At random it'll jump back up to 50 FPS for a bit, then plummet right back to 6FPS again for a good 10-15 minutes.

I've found candy, and only just now got to mining it though, and confirmed I haven't breached the circus. I'm stumped! It's so sudden, the drops, that it must be some sort of pathing issue or something, but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden drop from 50 FPS to 6...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 08:42:26 pm »

I would assume, it's the bugged birds and crundles.  Flying and climbing creatures can be stuck in place, which murders the framerate.

Kumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 08:48:29 pm »

Do you have a wandering ghost somewhere ?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 09:11:22 pm »

Do you have a wandering ghost somewhere ?
Unless I'm mistaken, the "ghost lag" bug was fixed way back in version 0.31.22.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 09:51:34 pm »

Isn't df40 currently not optimized at all or did toady fix it.....if so then no offense but he failed.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 09:53:50 pm »

Isn't df40 currently not optimized at all or did toady fix it.....if so then no offense but he failed.

It's already faster than 40.01 overall?? And he has after all never said, he finished the optimisation.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 06:25:27 am »

Besides, a sudden drop from 50 to 6 FPS does not sound like it has much to do with optimization.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 05:10:32 pm »

It could be a siege in ambush mode.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 05:23:31 pm »

Besides, a sudden drop from 50 to 6 FPS does not sound like it has much to do with optimization.
Actually, it can very well have to do with civilizations declaring war one one another. As each civ moves dozens of troops, they are factored in your game real time. Toady hasn't touched THIS optimization yet.

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 09:08:44 pm »

I'm sending my army all over the map right now to check ambushes, thanks for the suggestion. I'd like to help pin this down to see if I can help find out the issue! :)

Thanks for your help, guys.

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 09:18:28 pm »

Checked around, managed to kill off some Kea's that were hovering in mid air for years with pieces of rope they had stolen prior but otherwise, nothing. The game came back to decent FPS for a bit, but that was before I sent my military out. They came back and it just dropped out of the blue again. At a bit of a loss :<

Edit: to add, no ghosts. I have no dead dwarves (yet). I've tried blocking off the cavern to see if that helps, nothing yet.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:21:23 pm by Jachim »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 10:46:09 pm »

That is a pretty sizable decrease. If it happens consistently in your fortress, I would suggest logging a problem ticket on the bug tracker and uploading a save. Hopefully Toady (or one of the technically-gifted testers) can track down the root cause of the lag spikes and get it fixed.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 11:28:32 pm »

Do you have caverns sealed off? It could also be fluid moving. Have you tapped the magma sea or a lake that refills?

Finally, you could create a backup and try turning off temperature in the init.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 11:31:29 pm »

I miiiight have found the issue!

I am a dirty cheater and use the old fasioned spear trap lever system to train my dwarven military in a small 6x2 room. To set it as the training area, I have a forbidden door with an armor stand behind it, and for some reason despite it being forbidden and no-pet-passable, I found not one, but TWO dwarves stuck behind it!

As soon as I unleashed them, the FPS came right back buuuut I'm not sure how they ended up in there... can they dodge and end up through a door? Maybe a tackle sends them flying through it?

It also doesn't explain how somehow my FPS came back, though come to think of it, the last time it occured, sending my dwarves out of the fortress did speed it up again.. odd how they passed through the door... did they climb over it? O.o

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 12:57:36 am »

On the birds thing, you should just delete the bird and bird_new.txt files from the RAWs so they aren't generated in the world.Until they're fixed again.
 Do this before gen though.
Pages: [1] 2