Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harvesting [spoiler] efficiently  (Read 784 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Harvesting [spoiler] efficiently
« on: August 02, 2014, 06:47:35 pm »

I know how to safely pick off candy around the edges (well, relatively safely... if you ignore the legendary miner who went for a swim in the magma), but it's just so painstakingly SLOW! Is there a quicker and more efficient way to go about harvesting the good stuff without any risk of causing some unwanted !!FUN!!

Also, conveniently, I have a wet cavern a single layer above the magma sea... If some silly dwarf were to "accidentally" let the water drain into the magma sea, what would happen? I'm going to assume the quantities of steam produced would probably crash my computer, but it may be worth it
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Harvesting [spoiler] efficiently
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 07:02:07 pm »

I think that's actually a method that people use to speed up mining of adamantine.  So far as I know it will obsidianize just like any other magma, so you can then mine out the adamantine at your leisure.

Of course, yeah, it's likely to cause a gigantic amount of lag while it's happening.  Either try to design some way that you can shut off the water flow with mechanics or pick a small body of water to drain.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 12:11:35 am »

I hear tell of numerous caveins --

Water hits magma.
Magma turns to obsidian.
Magma, unsupported, sinks to the bottom of the sea, acting as a piston to raise more obsidian...

Someone who's done it before might offer better advice, I'd personally try dumping the water in near a spot where the obsidian won't have to plummet to the depths of the sea.

//Torrenal
I've yet to see the magma sea... I keep hitting semi-molten rock.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 01:34:05 am »

If you drop the water on an adamantine spire or other rock, then the obsidian should be connected to something and not cave in like that.  If that's not an option then that probably will happen, yeah.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 01:43:00 am »

I once tried to drain a volcano that way.  I ran into a state of equilibrium with the magma sea.

I was able to push the magma lower by using a bridge to disperse the water over a wider area.  I believe at one point a single pump stack was dropping 12 separate columns of water.  Later I tapped an underground sea.  Even draining that into the magma only resulted in yet another equilibrium.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 02:08:01 pm »

I shall have to... Experiment... With this.

I actually have no experience with water mechanics yet, so any tips on how to do this without killing off too many short alcoholics would be great.

Thinking at least one onto a spire, which would allow me to access the entire thing (currently surrounded by magma).

Also, magma fountains in the fort... Bad idea?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 02:11:53 pm »

Quote from: Mimodo link=topic=141699.msg5538897#msg5538897 date=1407092881

[/quote

It's MAGMA!   How could it be bad?

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 03:07:20 pm »

Quote from: Mimodo link=topic=141699.msg5538897#msg5538897 date=1407092881

[/quote

It's MAGMA!   How could it be bad?

I see your point. Magma fountains it is!!!