Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tedious Challenge?  (Read 1056 times)

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
Tedious Challenge?
« on: August 02, 2014, 04:24:29 pm »

Has anyone ever "processed" every tile of an embark?  You know dug up every gem, mined all the ore, quarried all the stone?

Why would anyone want to?

{shrugs}

I do not know.

1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tedious Challenge?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 06:52:40 pm »

Hell no! Not on a regular sized embark. I've dug up only the tiniest portion, and I have more than enough ore, and gems. I can buy out a caravan with only old clothes. The only reason you'd do that is to say that you've dug out the entire world. Also, the magma sea would be difficult to "process"
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 06:55:50 pm »

As in digging up every tile all the way down to the SMR, including all of the adamantine if you have spires?  I suspect that the game would become unplayably slow well before you could accomplish that unless you genned a very shallow world.

I've heard of people lowering the surface by digging out the entire top soil layer(s) though.  That's still quite tedious but at least feasible.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:39:35 pm »

The fort I just lost I had dug out 6 full z-levels of just for ore / gems, so it should be doable. You'd have to do a lot of atomsmashing though to keep the number of items sane. (Also, if you try, make sure you use restricted traffic zones to prevent pathfinding death)

Mind you, that was on a 2x2 embark.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 10:46:39 pm »

It becomes problematic for pathing reasons.  The algorithm for pathing will make the game unplayable long before you mine everything out.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 11:42:16 pm »

It becomes problematic for pathing reasons.  The algorithm for pathing will make the game unplayable long before you mine everything out.
If you channel, it's not too bad.  Mining and leaving floors is bad, as you increase the floorspace, but if you channel, the available walking tiles doesn't really change.

The real problem is the massive amounts of items generated and the lag from it.  With atom smashing you can do decently.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 02:45:42 am »

If you channel, it's not too bad.  Mining and leaving floors is bad, as you increase the floorspace, but if you channel, the available walking tiles doesn't really change.

The real problem is the massive amounts of items generated and the lag from it.  With atom smashing you can do decently.

Channel the whole way down to the magma sea and the item problem would solve itself
 Then you could have the perfectly protected fort, a narrow column from the surface to the magma sea. Maybe have visitors have to walked, exposed to the tower, the whole way down the sea, across a bridge, then up again up the outside of the tower to the entrance at the top. 

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 03:55:03 am »

I'd suggest generating a world with a single cavern layer and selecting an embark wihout aqufiers or rivers for this challenge
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 04:08:55 am »

Yes, I think a 2x2 embark would be the way to go; just to lesson the tedium a bit. As Girlinhat points out, channeling doesn't really impact path-ing performance.

I agree that dealing effectively with item clutter will be the major challenge.

Bonus points for doing this without using an atom-smasher.

1) By using magma to destroy most things
2) By maintaining contact throughout the game with caravans.

{imagines the dwarven broker in this obsessive compulsive fort}

"NO! I must have that particular cloth rope.  I'll give you all this...

{waves his short little drunken arms at a quantum stack of stone crafts}

...for it. Our stupid stone crafter won't stop making this crap.

{stops imagining}

I don't know if this will work for all the stuff, due to caravan weight limitations.

Here's how I imagine this working.

Code: [Select]
hhh
hXh
hhh

All the way down to one 'z' above the magma sea.  With any luck a miner could blow right through all the cavern layers without having to fight critters.

At the end you have this:

Code: [Select]
.x.

and a huge pile of crapola that needs to be sorted into magma safe and stuff that is destroyable by magma. I plan on making extensive use of mining carts and quantum stockpile technology. (Using mining carts to create one huge quantum stockpile should also cut down on item clutter lag.)

Once that is done your miners drop everything not made from magma safe material into the magma sea.  The rest gets turned into the lightest weight craft goods you can make.  Maybe coins for metal and mugs for stone. Once you process the entire take from one stairway you collapse the stairway itself into the magma sea.  (Except for the magma safe parts of the stairway.)

Complete one of those shafts and things will get easier because you can have your dwarves toss all the magma vulnerable crap down the hole via track stops as they collect it from additional vertical shafts.

At the bottom of the world you obsidianize the magma sea and then either engrave it, thus fulfilling the process every tile requirement; or you dig it up and make obsidian mugs with it to trade away for a spool of thread.

At the end I envision a mad mayor pulling a final level collapsing the final remaining structure and dumping the final material into a single tile of magma.  I think you could do this and have just a single block of obsidian remaining from an entire embark.

Let me know if you can find any gaping holes in my plan, please.  Or can think of any improvements that will increase world destruction efficiency. 

I'd like to give this a try.
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.