Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh FFS...  (Read 1194 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Oh FFS...
« on: August 02, 2014, 12:06:03 pm »

So I decided to try a dangerous embark, really hot, salt water, aquifier, by the ocean, and medium evil.

No outpost liaison for the first 3 years. The queen is a goblin.

4th year, liaison shows up:

"merit deserves reward"

I guess he just missed the part where a couple months ago 3 vamps died taking out a minotaur causing a tantrum spiral and dropping the population from 66 to 4.

I have no iron, no bit coal/lignite (despite several sed layers, I've got a crap ton of platinum though) and the first magma I found is on -19 (that's a minus)

Now I can't get a trade agreement without a baron..

ffs..
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:15:24 pm by crossmr »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Oh FFS...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 12:40:06 pm »

Embrace your fate.
May your gruesome demise be glorious!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 03:25:33 pm »

I'm envious. My last few embarks have been dull
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 07:41:53 pm »

I'm a little surprised that a couple deaths like that could cause such a spiral. The dwarves were all very happy before this happened. They all had great rooms, legendary dining rooms, lots of booze and prepared meals. It did rid me of my vampire problem, though I think I have another one..they're harder to spot these days.

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
  • Not as cool as your glasses, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 07:46:47 pm »

I wouldn't worry too much. Dwarves are expendable resources. If it gets too difficult you can always reembark.
You can lead a horse to water, you can leave your horse behind.
'Cause your horse don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no horse of mine.
ASK ME ABOUT MY OBSCURELY LARGE MEKHQ ARMY

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 01:19:03 am »

I forgot to mention that after 4 years of no liaison, and a goblin queen (and ever expanding nobles list showing some kind of recovery)

His news was:

"The world is the same as ever"

the same as what???

You haven't been here in years and the queen is a goblin..

you also have no iron (though you have pig iron and steel)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 01:20:39 am »

The steel-but-no-iron bug is because steel is made by a reaction and the game assumes entities have access to the reaction's components.

"The world is the same as ever" means that nothing of note has happened since you embarked.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 01:51:39 am »

I know what it means, it's just strange that'd he say that with a goblin queen who was basically alone when I embarked (and who now has around 7-8 nobles with her) and the fact that he shows up after 4 years like it's no big deal.