Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No water on the surface, FB in the caverns  (Read 759 times)

Bki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No water on the surface, FB in the caverns
« on: August 02, 2014, 04:48:20 am »

So, water usually isn't my priority. So long as no dwarf get injured, it's not even important :). Which make it quite vital, indeed. Still, I think my fort arrived at the point where I should worry about that (especially if I want to use power, because there's no wind on this site). The problem, is, of course, I'm in a scorching area without even a murky pool. The first cavern has water, but it is home to a deadly blood FB, which has already bled some over the place. The second cavern have a more tame FB, but I'm not even sure there's water there. Also, I only generated this world with two caverns, so I can't go dig to the third to see what's there.

Any advices on how should I process to secure a supply of the ignoble, non-alcoholic and barely drinkable liquid?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No water on the surface, FB in the caverns
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 05:08:23 am »

Screw-pump purification will remove any contaminants, the challenge will be in gaining secure access to the liquid.

Does the FB fly or swim?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Bki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 05:30:12 am »

The deadly blood FB swim.

I think I should precise, I play this fortress with a low population cap, and so sending waves of migrants to die isn't an option (not that it work well with disciplineless dorfs now anyway)

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:59:23 am »

I would try finding out if the 2nd cave has water. If it has just channel a hole above the water and build a well there. This should be enough for hospital supply.

If that is no option do the following.
Dig a tube adjacent to the water in cave 1. But let the last block intact. Carve a fortification into it. Obviously the dwarf doing this will get wet, so you should think about a solution if the FB has already contaminated the water.
Seal the tube from above with a floor grate or bars as building destroyers can only destroy stuff above them if they can path to it. (This is just a precaution should the FB be sucked through the fortification by water movement).
A pump can draw water through the grate/bars.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 11:49:38 am »

Dig a tube adjacent to the water in cave 1. But let the last block intact. Carve a fortification into it. Obviously the dwarf doing this will get wet, so you should think about a solution if the FB has already contaminated the water.
Seal the tube from above with a floor grate or bars as building destroyers can only destroy stuff above them if they can path to it. (This is just a precaution should the FB be sucked through the fortification by water movement).
A pump can draw water through the grate/bars.

Alternatively, dig an aqueduct directly under the water, then cause a single-tile cave-in over the aqueduct to punch through the lake bed. Make sure you understand how pressure works, though, if the lake is more than 1 z-level deep.

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 12:18:42 pm »

This is routine - strain your water.  Dig a channel into the layer where the cavern water is, separated by one square of rock from it.  Smooth that one tile of rock.  Carve a fortification into it.  The dorf who carves while standing on the now ramp square will get wet but will not drown (provided he has something to do so he doesn't lounge around or go to sleep in the water, at least).  Build a well over the resulting strained-water square for niceness.