Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What's the Ideal Armour Setup?  (Read 6701 times)

nick56x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's the Ideal Armour Setup?
« on: August 02, 2014, 12:49:08 am »

What's the ideal armour setup? As in, not the material. But what pieces?

For the body, I am thinking:
  • Breastplate
  • Chainmail

For the legs:
  • Greaves
  • Leggings

For the feet:
  • Highboots

For the hands:
  • Gauntlets

And for the head, just a helm.

Is this decent? What's your ideal armour setup? I'm curious, haha.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the Ideal Armour Setup?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 12:58:04 am »

I don't usually bother with gauntlets or greaves, leggings tend to be enough protection for the legs. I don't really have a good reason to skip the gauntlets though, other than saving resources. If you consider a shield as armor though, I would definitely include one.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

nick56x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 01:02:13 am »

Hm, do you know whether or not Dwarves ditch their current armour for better armour? I just witnessed one of my Dwarves wearing a breastplate pick up a mailshirt, and.. the brestplate vanished.

nick56x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 01:03:32 am »

I take that back. The breastplate didn't vanish, it just occupied the space where the mailshirt was. Though, my question still applies. Do Dwarves ditch their armour for better armour? Surely a mailshirt isn't better than a damned breastplate.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 02:09:52 am »

it depends how you have their uniform set up. I tend to set up specific exact match uniforms and make those.

If you just have them set up for "breastplate" with no material indicated, then they'll try and pick the best one.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 02:48:00 am »

A dwarf should be able to wear a breastplate over a mail shirt.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

nick56x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 02:52:39 am »

Weird. All three of my Dwarves (I only have 15 Dwarves at the moment) in my squad dropped their breastplate and wore mailshirts.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 02:56:35 am »

Mail shirts have a higher base value than breastplates. Militia will grab the most valuable equipment they can when they outfit themselves.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 03:04:03 am »

I create a new uniform for all dwarf squads which includes

Metal Breastplate
Metal Mailshirt
Metal Helm
Metal Greaves
Metal Gauntlets
Metal High Boots
Leather Cloak
Shield

Which metal depends on what's going at the moment, but when I choose replace clothing, they wear it all perfectly. They won't change armour for better pieces unless you specifically direct them to do so either.

I haven't actually seen it myself, but apparently cloaks are almost essential to any military armour set
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:32:15 am by Mimodo »
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 03:30:03 am »

You have no helm why?

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 03:31:42 am »

You have no helm why?

Because I forgot to write it :p I include a helmet for sure
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 03:35:28 am »

You have no helm why?

There's no social equipment slot in DF yet, so you must actually remove the helmet to show your face.

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 03:49:03 am »

Yeah Helm is a must considering headshots are a priority when a dwarf is down. If using metal armor I skip breastplates because they are so heavy if the dwarf isn't a skilled armor user. Set uniforms to replace if you are sure you have all of the gear to ensure the dwarf actually wears everything he has assigned rather than just a helm and vest.

I generally go mail shirt, gauntlet, greaves, helm, high boot, wood shield for my melee dwarves. Mail shirt wont stop bruising or blunt attacks very well, but if a dwarf is encumbered he will be attacking and dodging far less and will be hit much more and will be far less effective. I think my setup is actually on the heavy side and might be slowing them down a fair bit and only the chest is vulnerable to blunt attack, but they seem to dodge alright a lot of the time. I refuse to use danger rooms to boost armor user, if you're doing that they'll probably be alright with a mail shirt/breastplate combo. Steel is a short term priority upon embark, and my metalworking industry and mining are all focused on getting a few suits of it out as soon as space has been cleared for the necessary farms, stockpiles and workshops. Half the fun is trying to streamline the embark to get a fully armored squad out behind a moat and stockade in personal record time.

My archers and justice dwarves just get leather (the fortress guard might need chase a mischievous dwarf or two down and need to travel light). So thats leather armor, leggings, helm, high boot, wood shield, any crossbow. Not really bothered with anything else at it doesn't provide armor and will only make the dwarves run around trying to scab new higher quality socks and whathaveyou if any are produced rather than patrolling the ramparts and practicing.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:51:07 am by Nasty »

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 04:45:21 am »

So you'd recommend ditching the breastplate altogether? That'd save me a bit of stieel! I only just got to flux stone, so they're all geared up in iron at the moment.

For archers I just use the default archer uniform, which generally works out alright. None of my dwarves are yet battle tested though, so I have a feeling they'll end up a goblin pincushion very quickly still

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 05:13:13 am »

Definitely until they have a few ranks in armor user at least. Some even recommend ditching the greaves for leggings, but I am quite paranoid about this because leg injuries are quite common and can be fatal in a big melee when everyone is too preoccupied with their own combats to come to the rescue of a downed dwarf.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4