Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More planned marriage threads  (Read 586 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
More planned marriage threads
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:30:08 am »

So, I've done this successfully before, in that I lock two dwarves within 10 years of each other in a 2x2 room for a while to make them get to know each other with the goal of marrying em'. I have had these two dwarves in there for two years now non stop. They are 5 years apart, both have similar skills in that they are both masons and brewers, no romantic commitments to speak of.

What am I doing wrong? Both of them are nobles as well, one is captain of the guard and the other is baroness.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More planned marriage threads
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:42:16 am »

You are a hopeless romantic aren't you.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 12:06:11 pm »

In 0.40, not all dwarves are interested in marriage.  And not all dwarves are interested in the opposite sex (though most are).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 12:45:25 pm »

So, I've done this successfully before, in that I lock two dwarves within 10 years of each other in a 2x2 room for a while to make them get to know each other with the goal of marrying em'. I have had these two dwarves in there for two years now non stop. They are 5 years apart, both have similar skills in that they are both masons and brewers, no romantic commitments to speak of.

What am I doing wrong? Both of them are nobles as well, one is captain of the guard and the other is baroness.

Toady rewrote the dwarven mind in this last version so that it is much more complex. There could now be any number of reasons these two aren't hitting it off ranging from one of them being gay or simple completely uninterested in marriage to personality conflicts. To make a long story short you can't simply try to breed dwarves like animals anymore, or at least not as easily. There is a decent chance that a given pair you desire to force marriage on simply will not be into it.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 01:33:49 pm »

To be precise, there's a 75% chance that any given dwarf is willing to marry people of the opposite sex, which gives us a 75%^2=56,25% chance that both dwarves in a randomly selected pairing will be interested in marriage. In other words, if you want babies, make sure to have several pairs of dwarves.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 01:51:45 pm »

On top of that, the preferences screen will also tell you whether a dwarf will fall in love easily or is barely interested in it. (It's in the lower white text somewhere, after their dreams)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!