Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does lesbian marriage produce children?  (Read 1214 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Does lesbian marriage produce children?
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:00:02 am »

I have noticed that some of my dwarves have spouses of the same gender. While funny, this makes me wonder if I can expect children from them, you know, anonymous donors, spores, surprise, such things... This is especially important, because I wanted to enlist some members of such unions, and I certainly do not want baby shield incidents.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
Re: Does lesbian marriage produce children?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 10:07:35 am »

They shouldn't, since you need [MALE] and [FEMALE] creatures to produce children, otherwise it would be a bug.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 10:18:55 am »

If they are married, there is no chance for any offspring. Dwarves don't cheat on their spouses, ever, and don't get divorced or even remarry, even if the other is an evil dust thrall head locked in a zombie pit.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 10:35:16 am »

Good to hear that they don't remarry. It would be queasy, because all available mates would be like 120-130 years junior.

Anyway, after checking all dwarves I found that I have only one pair of lesbians and one pair of gays (out of 109 dwarves), so it seem that wouldn't be big problem even if they were producing/adopting children.

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 11:44:47 am »

No babies!? Can I some how force gay marriage, cause that would be pretty awesome?

Had no idea this was in the game, nice detail.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 12:31:01 pm »

No babies!? Can I some how force gay marriage, cause that would be pretty awesome?

You can change the likelihood of a dwarf being gay by adding ORIENTATION tags to the raws.  I don't know whether this requires a new world gen.  If it doesn't, then it definitely won't affect any existing dwarves -- just new ones.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 12:36:38 pm »

We should have a talk later. I have a book you can read that will explain a lot.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 02:01:08 pm »

We should have a talk later. I have a book you can read that will explain a lot.
In Dwarf Fortress, the question of "Can two lesbians make a baby" seems to be extremely relevant and not ignorant at all.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 04:03:52 pm »

The "orientation" wiki page has a setting to make all dwarves gay, which should eliminate any babies.  But, as Girlinhat said, this is Dwarf Fortress, you never know...  (Although I would assume homosexual couples creating babies would be a bug -- at least until bastards/out of wedlock children is a thing.)
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 06:13:08 pm »

Had no idea this was in the game, nice detail.
Put them both in the military, then you can have 2 women without worrying about them getting their babies killed.