Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: The Valley (Genii Locus) [For 6 Players]  (Read 8410 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Valley (Genii Locus) [For 6 Players]
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2014, 03:46:18 pm »

A reminder; you do not derive power directly from worship.  However, religions of all kinds create culture, increasing your cultural strength.

This is actually one of my favorite things about this game. I am a beautiful, terrifying force of nature, and I'll be here whether you like it or not. You could burn all the plants and salt the earth, but I'll still be here. Waiting. Watching. Whispering.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2014, 03:49:03 pm »

A reminder; you do not derive power directly from worship.  However, religions of all kinds create culture, increasing your cultural strength.

((I'm using the religion more as a way to introduce greater structure into society and stimulate culture with the side effect of increased obedience. Hence why I don't dictate the precise tenets of the Grass Cult to House Modnir. It is imperative that they generate thoughts and memes of their own.))

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2014, 04:14:19 pm »

[That's all cool.  Just reminding people in case they're confused why they're not getting extra power from cults.  But yes, cults make humans much easier to manipulate.  :D]
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2014, 05:19:30 pm »

( I definitely like the fact that the people are scared of me because I thought they wanted to protect Winter, I feel like a Fae creature)
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2014, 05:43:51 pm »

Alter the swampfolk (Narrow Focus) to become more resilient and observant to the dangers of the swamp (-23 NAT, -17 GEN). Then Whisper (also Narrow Focus) that they should look to trade the bounty of the bogs (such as it is) with the rest of the valley (-4 GEN).

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2014, 06:33:27 pm »

They seem to wish for something which doesn't exist, so I shall make it so. ALTER a bear population to be like what Bohromu the Sun Bear is. Also, i'd like to HEAL the forest from the damage the winter caused. Lastly, I would like to focus on the forest, and, if possible focus on the forester I spoke to

You pick out a small population of bears in the forest; about forty or fifty.  Focusing your power down to a Narrow scale, you change the bears from the ground up.  [-9 NAT, -31 GEN]  Your power seeps through the bears' every cell, and within a few weeks their hair begins to grow through gold instead of black.  Your changes are more than cosmetic, however.  Sometimes you find your power takes on a life of its own when you enact a change, and this one attempts to follow your instructions to the letter.

You give the entire population a very limited ability to draw power from worship and prayer, effectively siphoning prayer from the Cult of Bohromu.  They in turn have a very limited ability to use this power, in line with what Bohromu apparently can do.  Where the Golden Bears roam, the forest thrives - the ecology is more stable, plants grow thicker, animals grow fatter and healthier, and the ecosystem is able to support a more diverse food web.  The effect of each bear is small, but the overall effect is significant.

Exactly what this will do to the Cult of Bohromu, you have no idea.

You have limited power left, at least that can be used to View.  You can maintain a Narrow or wider focus if you wish, so you can take a Broad focus on the forest or try and look at something smaller, or else borrow power from another spirit to accomplish both your goals.

The Grass:  You take advantage of your awesome new conduit of power to begin favouring the three Houses of the Grasslands.  [-12 GEN, -4 GEN to view]  To the men of House Modnir you give the secrets of Irrigation.  A certain amount goes over their heads, but they take the basics and apply them to the fields, digging out channels from the river to fertilise land further into the plains.  While this improves the yield of their farms even further, the changes do cause a small amount of ecological damage - but rather less than is gained from the agriculture.  House Modnir use this to prop up their existing wealth, but it doesn't quite give them enough sway to really gain new power or spread the Cult of the Grass further.

To House Esra you task the building of walls and the manufacture of weapons.  You don't exactly walk them through the process of either, but they glean enough to try and take a stab at both.  Their attempts to build walls don't really work out for them, as their efforts with adobe bricks keep falling over after a certain height, but they will keep trying.  Their efforts to build weapons are much more effective, and they learn how to better balance stone axes for war and prepare better javelins for throwing.  Their understanding of Basic Weaponcraft will aid those equipped in war.  House Esra attempt to use this knowledge to further their influence amongst the Grasslanders, but they are considered dangerous ancestor-fanatics by many and lack political traction.

To Avray and his House you task the training of the people for war, giving them instructions on how to proceed.  Avray successfully coaches his House and their fellows in combat where time permits.  Many of the farmers undergo simple fighting practice, and the concept of a village militia develops.  While perhaps not capable fighters, the farmers of the Grasslands are at least now semi-willing.  The training allows House Avray to establish itself as a House of importance on the plains.

As a result of your actions, the power and influence of the three Houses are recognised by most of the farmers.  The elders of the Houses are consulted on most important matters, and they have begun to consult with one another as well.  The plains have developed a basic Tribal Government, allowing them to better manage the people.  Better resolution of disputes reduces the penalties of crowding in the village.

Whispering Wind: Your broad whispers [-2 CUL] settle in the minds of the hillfolk as a sense of urgency, a need to repel the invaders that reinforces their existing fears.  You then visit the dreams of the enhanced hillfolk [Narrow, -4 CUL], where they see images of the hills literally bleeding as the raiders come, and then of themselves crafting weapons and fighting back.  All the while, the wind rustles and whispers nonsense sounds in their ears that seem to reinforce their meaning.  You don't convey every detail of the weaponcraft, or even many, but the hillfolk are resourceful types and manage to work out the basics of weaponmaking on their own - simply a matter of changing the axes and throwing spears they already have to hunt men instead of game.

You then settle back and view the ensuing conflict [-4 GEN], watching fights from above, as if a bird's eye view of several compressed months.  Without some sort of military organisation, the hillfolk cannot fight in bands larger than fifty, so these are the most they are able to take out to raid.

The initial couple of months see a handful of encounters with the raiding parties, usually two or three raiders at a time.  The encounters are short and violent, and it becomes apparent that the raiders are capable fighters, simply by devoting all their time to combat rather than farming or foraging.  Three of the raiders are laid low, but each fights with the strength of five men, and eight hillmen are killed as well.

Then, after about four months, it drifts into your awareness that the camp of the raiders has been found.  The remaining 42 hillfolk herders set out to deal with them, leaving the crafters behind to tend to the animals.  They gather their axes and spears, cross over the crest of the hills... and out of your sight.

A week later, the hillfolk return with thirteen men, women and children in tow.  The story of the attack is told enough that the details float into your consciousness; they surprised the raider camp at the break of dawn, and after several minutes of fierce fighting four of the five warriors were lain low.  The last warrior surrendered along with the women, children and foragers.  Miraculously, none of the hillfolk were killed.  They seem to attribute their success to Bohromu, who apparently sent the winds to bring them luck in battle as his golden light lit the field.

You hear a little about the captives.  They come from some distant place, and they were supposedly fleeing something.  The name 'Gur' makes its way into your awareness.  Exhausted and desperate, they fought and stole for food.  There is also apparently some discussion over what to do with the captives; some think they should be integrated into the hillfolk, some say they should be made to do hard labour, some (the families of the eight dead hillmen) want them executed as a sacrifice to Bohromu.  A decision has yet to be reached.

Silent Glow: You pour your power into the pair of families living in the bog.  [-23 NAT, -17 GEN]  Over the course of a few months, they change.  Their skin grows thicker, they become more resistant to the diseases of the swamp.  Their eyes grow more acute, their perception above that of ordinary men.  They become adept at evading the dangers of the bog, and using them to their advantage.  They hunt better, they track better.  For some reason, their eyes all adopt an intense blue colouration, a side-effect of the change.

You then visit them in their dreams.  [-4 GEN]  The families find themselves in an unfamiliar place in the bog, with a single plume of blue marsh-flame lighting the darkness.  Within the flames images appear to them; certain herbs and mushrooms, those passed on from their elders, images of them plucking them, of being given fresh fish and grain by the drylanders for their bounty.  There is no sound, not even the buzzing of insects in the marsh.  Everything is silent, and the flickering blue glow delivers its message.

The bogkin remember your message when they wake, and they devote themselves accordingly.  They hunt down the most useful herbs and fungi, they memorise them, and then they industriously begin to harvest these bounties and trade them to the drylanders, for food and for goods.  It works out rather well for them.

Spoiler: The Blessed River (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Grasslands (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Whispering Hills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Glowing Bog (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Village of Narsis (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2014, 07:09:35 pm »

(Nevermind,thank you)

Narrowly whisper to the Cult of Bohromu, tell them to protect the forest from those who wish to harm the forest, or who wish to harm the Golden Bears, else the judgment of Bohromu be upon them. Take a broad view of the forest, a whole view of the valley, then rest.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:22:53 pm by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2014, 11:34:04 pm »

The spirit of the river wavered for many months, considering the options before it. Ultimately though it could decide on very little. For each plan it hatched and idea it had, many others would have to be put in place at the same time. Ultimately the spirit could decide on very little. Perhaps a small idea would be all it would leave this awaking.

Narrow focus whisper (4 cultural strength) to plant the idea of ship building into the mind of the fishermen. Perhaps it could help with fishing, and they could handle the trade between the bogs and the town. Perhaps even eventually for exploration. If they could make a ship to weather the sea coast.

The spirit was unsure if this was the right course of action. The seeds would grow slowly, and it knew many generations would pass before they could even hope to build ships of a great enough size to travel the sea. But it would simply have to trust in them.

So the spirit passed into sleep, this awakening mostly passed by.

((Sorry about taking so long to do almost nothing. My points just didn't line up properly to do anything I had planned this time, and I was trying to think around it. I didn't want to just drop a magic bomb on some people without talking to them some.

I do have a question after a lot of pondering though. If I want to use imbue to make a living creature magical, do I also then need to pair that with a alter to take care of the resulting physical changes? Specifically one of the ideas I was thinking  of was something along the lines of a magical plant that is a Terravore and maybe grows magical crystals. Both to help increase the biomass of the rivers and eventually to give something of worth to the river people. Would that be both a imbue action and a alter action? Or could one get away with just the imbue? Edit: Actually I just read the part about the altering of the bears. I guess alter can cover some magical effects as well?))
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:36:25 pm by Criptfeind »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2014, 02:15:00 am »

Sleep. The Grass has done its work.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2014, 02:25:25 am »

Whisper to the swampfolk knowledge about constructing durable buildings in the swamp (Narrow Focus,-4 GEN) then sleep.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2014, 06:16:02 am »

((I do have a question after a lot of pondering though. If I want to use imbue to make a living creature magical, do I also then need to pair that with a alter to take care of the resulting physical changes? Specifically one of the ideas I was thinking  of was something along the lines of a magical plant that is a Terravore and maybe grows magical crystals. Both to help increase the biomass of the rivers and eventually to give something of worth to the river people. Would that be both a imbue action and a alter action? Or could one get away with just the imbue? Edit: Actually I just read the part about the altering of the bears. I guess alter can cover some magical effects as well?))

Altering the bears was a bit of a trick, because it fell within the power scope of what the Giant was trying to do and it had been established that channeling prayer was at least partly biological.  I probably won't make that exception again.  If you want magic, mobile plants, you probably do need to both alter and imbue the population.  This will, in fairness, make some pretty ungodly-powerful plant beasts.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2014, 06:42:27 am »

Whisper to the hillmen (-2): put the captives to work. These Gurians will serve the hills. The vanquished may always be enslaved by the victors.

Whisper to the families again (-4): To think that the bear could command the winds is mistaken. The winds are ancient, as old as time itself; how could a mere bear, a creature of young nature, command them? They are a great force, separate from Bohromu, and subject to no man nor god.

View the enhanced families (-4) and seek to understand their wishes and dreams.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2014, 08:15:44 am »

Oh, I don't want mobile plants, that seems like they wouldn't be good for the valley, I just want them to eat dirt and rocks and stuff. And then grow magic crystals.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2014, 08:57:23 am »

Sleeping Giant: You visit the foresters in their dreams, those who follow the cult of Bohromu, and show them images of the golden bears.  You make it clear to them their mission; to protect the bears and the forest, lest Bohromu's wrath come down upon them.  Your words settle, giving the cult purpose and direction.  They organise themselves as a crude militia, aiming to protect the forest from those who might attack it or the bears.

You take a view of the forest afterwards; you can see the golden bears integrating into the ecosystem, changing it, reinforcing it.  The forest is recovering well from its taste of your wrath, and you can see the bears gravitating towards the old cairns and the small, simple offering stones the cultists have set up.  In the midst of it all, you can feel a presence like a weight on the world.  You can't afford the resolution to look at it in detail, but you think you might have found Bohromu.

You pull your focus back and take in the valley.  All across it, the people of the valley arm and ready themselves for conflict, save across the river, where new simple canoes ferry fishermen out to make their catches and haul small cargoes of goods and food up and down the river.  In the grasslands, the inhabitants have become more organised, their social order revolving around three great families, and some are becoming more than human.  In the hills, captives are turning to slaves, and in the bogs materials are harvested for trade.

Blessed Spirit: You visit the riverfolk in their dreams again, and they see visions of great, majestic ships sailing down the river and idown to sea.  Such craft are beyond their ability to even really envision, let alone construct, but the concept sticks.  After several months of trial and error, the first dug-outs are built, simple canoes of hollowed tree trunks which can be paddled or punted up and down the river.  With the aid of the canoes they are able to move up and down the river carrying small but heavy loads, and the fishermen can reach a larger proportion of the river to fish.

Silent Glow: You appear once more as the silent blue glow in the dreams of the marshfolk, showing them images of sturdy wooden houses, raised on poles over the swamp.  The marshfolk are hardy, adaptive sorts, and soon pick up the basics of construction and building simple, sound wooden houses.

Whispering Wind: You whisper to the families, picking out those who have best retained your blessings.  As is common with this level of focus, your message comes in the form of dreams and images; rushing wind, a burning sun on the back of a golden bear.  They see images of the wind rushing around them, then the bear rising with the sun, the bear setting with the sun, and the wind remaining all throughout.  The message settles with them; they begin separately associating Bohromu with the sun and battle, but acknowledging a separate, older force - the Whispering Wind.

You also place a simple thought in the minds of all the hillfolk; the weak deserve to be enslaved.  It is enough to sway the dissenters and solidify the hillfolk's decision; the captured figures are broken and made slaves.  While left weaker and more miserable than their betters from their work, the slaves should neatly improve the herding and forage for extra food when they're not in use.

Finally, you watch the enhanced families live their lives.  They are fairly simple lives; raise goats, shear goats with stone knives, mat wool into felt, make clothes from felt, sell clothes, beat the slaves, eat, drink, sleep.  But they are human, and ambition is the curse of humanity.  Having tasted the fruits of conquest, some young men desire more - more fighting, more slaves, more prizes to be taken.  Others enjoy the wealth from the new slaves and desire more wealth and power for themselves.  Some want to make the decisions, to have the status and influence of leaders.  And some just want a quiet life - though not that many.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2014, 09:06:39 am »

I sleep, for I am exhausted
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9