Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40.05 Adventure mode 1000+ FPS?  (Read 1874 times)

RoofLizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40.05 Adventure mode 1000+ FPS?
« on: August 01, 2014, 07:33:03 am »

Hey guys,

I just started Adventure Mode for the first time but I found that as I move my character the FPS counter goes from the capped 100 up to over 1000. Every step produced close to 100 extra fps. Is this normal or will it melt my CPU?

My init file says the frames are capped and I force V-Sync through Nvidia panel if that helps.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: 40.05 Adventure mode 1000+ FPS?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 07:34:29 am »

There's something wonky going on with the FPS cap. I've already reported one issue on the bug tracker, but it was that my FPS is capped at 50 no matter what I do.

I usually play in the thousands of FPS with frequent pausing with no issues.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 01:11:13 pm »

The FPS cap is mostly meaningless in Adventurer mode because everything is input-driven (i.e. stuff only happens when you press keys).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 01:41:05 pm »

Wow, reading comprehension fail on my part. I play super fast in dorf mode. Anyway, something is screwy with the fps cap.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RoofLizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 04:25:55 pm »

The FPS cap is mostly meaningless in Adventurer mode because everything is input-driven (i.e. stuff only happens when you press keys).

Yeah I figured it wouldn't be very important since it's turn based, but I'm just wondering if it will blow my CPU up or something :\

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 04:28:37 pm »

Yeah I figured it wouldn't be very important since it's turn based, but I'm just wondering if it will blow my CPU up or something :\

When it says 1000FPS in adventure mode, all it means is that it's doing:
"did he press anything yet?! Nope."

1,000 times a second. Doing 1,000 simple checks in a second is nothing for a computer.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

RoofLizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 05:17:14 pm »

Ah cool, thanks. I'm always a bit cautious with my systems.

I got killed by an eagle corpse anyway :'(

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 09:46:20 am »

The only way it would blow your CPU up would be if it didn't have anything to cool it down while locking the CPU to 100% while it runs those 1000 FPS shenanigans.

But even then it would be unlikely to fry your CPU because it is unlikely a steady, uninterrupted 100%.

oh_no

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 05:52:04 pm »

Framerate can mean 2 totally different things depending on the context. If the game is Paused (waiting for input in Adventurer mode), then it tells you how quickly the game is able to update the screen, which is generally going to be whatever your FPS CAP is set to. If the game is Unpaused (processing whatever input you enter in Adventurer mode), then it tells you how quickly it's able to simulate the world around you.

Thus, if you hold down a movement key in Adventurer mode, then I believe your framerate would approach whatever you'd get if you were to embark in a 2x2 fortress with a single dwarf and set your FPS CAP to 0 (unlimited) - your videocard isn't rendering that quickly (it's only going at your G_FPS_CAP), it's just simulating the world around you at a high rate (and it's managing that because there isn't much going on nearby (if you try this in a large city, your FPS will drop significantly). Also, it won't melt your CPU any more than any other task running at 100% utilization would (which it shouldn't, otherwise you are in dire need of better cooling), especially since DF won't use much more than 1 core worth (i.e. 25% in a quad-core system, or 12.5% in a quad-core+hyperthreading system).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:54:44 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.