Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Human Orbit | Influence your crew as the AI of a space station  (Read 30296 times)

ProceduralJOYE

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Orbit: Technical Lead
    • View Profile
    • Human Orbit
Re: Human Orbit | Influence your crew as the AI of a space station
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2014, 06:59:47 am »

Hi all. I'm deep in some dialogue system code today so I won't answer all the new questions just yet - but this one is real easy, so I'll weigh in on it. I'll try to come in with some more new answers tomorrow.

So, if we can affect behavior by poisoning food supplies.  Could we say, through strategic poisoning, make half the population strict vegetarians and the other strict carnivores?
"You're eating broccoli?  Broccoli killed my father!"  "You eat pork, the slayer of all of research team 5."
Well, this is an isolated station far out on the New Frontier in the relatively close future. It is prohibitively expensive to ship cargo to the station, so the only people getting real pork and broccoli will be the highest status members of the crew and they'll have to pay a serious amount for it (unless you intervene in some way).
Most food on the station is manufactured on demand from an enriched nutritious substrate that is produced within the station's algaculture labs. The nutrient paste runs through a 3D printer in the cantina and is sculpted, coloured, scented & flavoured at the point of demand.

People aren't really going to remember effects associated with specific food types & that's partly because they're all very aware that almost all of the food comes from the same place.
And because the nutritious substrate is manufactured from algaculture pretty much everyone is effectively vegetarian. I expect quite a few people will have their food sculpted to resemble meats though!

The best way to affect station-wide behaviour through poisoning the food supplies is probably to sneak a few products from the med labs into the supply chain at the root - the alga-culture labs - but if you want to be a little more targeted in the way that you affect behaviour, then it would be a good idea to (for example) sneak a little something into the red food dyes.
Now, everyone who orders a red-octopii cookie is going to be feeling the effects of those drugs/hormones/goop, but everyone else will be fine. It's a good way to target someone if you know what their favourite food is!

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2014, 11:28:25 pm »

More on this game?

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2014, 07:55:03 am »

More on this game?

What were you looking for? From what I can tell Joe and his team are hard at work. They have some excellent nightmare fuel on their blog: http://humanorbit.com/blog/

Otherwise not a lot of info. They did have an interview about ideas but I can't find the dang article. Joe? You has?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:22:15 am by Tobel »

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2014, 08:06:44 am »

ptw
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2014, 02:28:40 pm »

More on this game?

What were you looking for? From what I can tell Joe and his team are hard at work. They have some excellent nightmare fuel on their blog: http://humanorbit.com/blog/

Otherwise not a lot of info. They did have an interview about ideas but I can't find the dang article. Joe? You has?

Basically just any info, an idea of how complete it is would be nice too. Thanks

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2014, 05:03:31 pm »

How could I have missed this?
Hypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehype AI WALL.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2014, 09:31:30 pm »

Ptw
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2014, 09:28:44 am »

Found the interview:
http://indiegamemag.com/igm-interviews-autelia-ltd-human-orbit/

Let’s say that you hack into an NPC’s email and you notice that there is some romantic tension between them and another NPC on the station. For the sake of the example, we will call them Sam Smooch and Anne Richie. You could write an email to Anne from Sam asking her to meet for a date in the bar at 11. Unknown to Anne and Sam, you also invite an unpopular senior officer with whom they both have a bad relationship: Captain Jesse.

Earlier in the day, you had already switched out the captain’s heart medicine with steroids and so the captain is already feeling quite aggressive when they arrive. The captain’s mood worsens from being around people that they don’t like and they confront Sam and berate him for a mistake that had been made a couple of days before. Anne is a confrontational type, so she stands up to the captain.

While they’re arguing, you head off to the cantina and return with a knife, which you place nearby. The fight escalates, the knife ends up being used – things don’t go very well for Sam…

Also, when I asked whether we can just pick up a knife magically (booo) or have to use a mechanical friend (yay) they replied:
@hunterswd The player can dock to a mobile base station that has various apertures for manipulating objects.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2014, 10:05:01 am »

ptw

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2014, 10:18:57 am »

ptw
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2014, 11:25:54 am »

ptw
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2014, 01:51:23 pm »

ptw
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2014, 02:22:45 pm »

Will the crew have orders for you or ask you to do things, or are you free to do whatever?

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2014, 02:33:45 pm »

Will the crew have orders for you or ask you to do things, or are you free to do whatever?
"AI, open this door."
"AI, door."
"AI, the door."
"AI, open this."

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2014, 02:39:52 pm »

"AI, open this door."
"AI, door."
"AI, the door."
"AI, open this."
Yes, I have played SS13 :P
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13