Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the idea of this colorized armor?

Yay!  Useful/handy
Meh.
Boo!  Too noisy/distracting/etc

Author Topic: Colorized Armor Status (Basemode)  (Read 1470 times)

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Colorized Armor Status (Basemode)
« on: August 01, 2014, 12:20:15 am »

I find I sometimes forget to look in the mirror before heading out to Cause Trouble, and getting everyone into fresh clothes after some action can take more guess & check than it needs to.

Is it worth putting some color in the armor column so you can see the state of the group in one go?
For your consideration:

I think the colors are fairly self explanatory, but to check your guesses, see below
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colorized Armor Status (Basemode)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 03:32:56 pm »

Sounds cool

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 04:15:59 am »

I guessed wrong. My guess was that the bright red background indicated the clothes were completely destroyed. I guess I forgot that if that happens now it gets called "Tattered Rags". But the blood thing makes sense... more sense than what I guessed. I'm just bad at guessing. And my guess was that the 2nd clothes were damaged and the 4th one, the cheap dress, was low quality. Those guesses were all wrong. The only one I guessed right was that the Black Leather is undamaged and good quality.

Still, it's an interesting new feature. And also it looks like you're having some trouble with your character set... my latest revision, revision 823, oughta fix that and get the code page conversion going smoothly again. At least I think it will. It's a shame, all those diamonds with question marks inside, which are supposed to be horizontal lines. I've got all 3 code page modes working on Windows: CP437, 7-bit ASCII, and UTF-8. I'm pretty sure it'll improve things on Linux and Mac OS X too, get the correct characters to finally display.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 07:40:43 pm »

Regarding the character set, I just hadn't changed it away from the default in my terminal before taking the screenshot and it wasn't relevant to the question so I didn't bother recapturing it.

As for the reasoning of the bright yellow vs dark yellow / brown colors:
The bright one is more important - a problem you can do something about, and the dark is something you have to live with.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 10:08:27 pm »

What would you think of dark red for blood, and light black for second rate? The bright red struck me as "warning: heavily damaged", and I didn't know what to make of the dark yellow.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 12:47:54 am »

I don't think there are any options for bright/dark backgrounds.
The foreground text could be dark red I suppose, but then it can't show damage and/or low quality at the same time as it shows bloody.

The black I'd reserved for completely ruined / tattered rags that confer no benefits.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:53:07 am by SuicideJunkie »

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 12:57:34 am »

I don't think there are any options for bright/dark backgrounds.
The foreground text could be dark red I suppose, but then it can't show damage and/or low quality at the same time as it shows bloody.

The black I'd reserved for completely ruined / tattered rags that confer no benefits.

Do tattered rags/ruined gear provide any benefit, as compared with Naked?  (If not, then I'd just delete 'em as destroyed & abandoned.)

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 08:34:12 am »

Well, you're not naked.
I'm not sure about all the subtler effects, but you auto-fail stealth and disguise checks, and you don't get the seduction boost.

I suppose there could be a point of armor somewhere if the quality levels aren't set right in the XML.
A tatter check when you return to base might be good.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 09:21:43 pm »

Only problem is that armor color usually denotes level of disguise/stealth.  Using letter color for one and background color for the other would fix that.

For the record, it's certainly pretty.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 01:01:05 pm »

When you're in the field, the colors denote disguise/stealth, yes.  However back at base, they are currently not used for anything and all the armor is just white.