Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Were Elephants be Cray  (Read 1850 times)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Were Elephants be Cray
« on: July 31, 2014, 04:53:31 pm »

Sorry for the title, I couldn't resist.

So, I started a 40.05 fort up recently and about 2 years in a Were Elephant shows up. He zipped towards a fisher dwarf and one-shotted him before turning back into a goblin and quickly leaving - and I mean quickly. So fine, I had a green military anyways.

So about a year later, I have two pretty decent squads of hammer and spear dwarves clad in steel for the most part, when he shows up again. So, great, I feel like we're reasonably ready for him and order the two squads to attack and unpause the game. I have never seen something move so fast. The Were Elephant sped across the entire map in literally 6 seconds to my fort's entrance where he promptly exploded a butchery workshop. He then raced inside where my squads began to engage him as my barracks is, of course, near the entrance. I can only imagine what it looked like to the dwarves as a red-eyed, frothing, monstrous elephant of insanity advanced on them at about 100 miles per hour through the wide stone entrance.

I was tense with anticipation at this point getting ready to watch the fight as they engaged each other. The dwarves quickly surrounded the beast and had it pinned up against the wall. The fight continued for a about a minute before I decided to check the report to see what was happening. Fortunately, either my squads were fantastic dodgers, or the were elephant was terribly unlucky in its strikes as it failed to hit any of them once. The dwarves on the other hand were fracturing legs and bones with their war hammers left and right, even exploding some of the beasts body parts into gore. But it was regenerating faster than they could inflict the damage, even parts that were severed or crushed.

On and on the fight went for about a week horrifying any kittens that came near them. The dwarves who were fighting actually started taking breaks to go drink some alcohol and then come back to the fight which was pretty amusing. Finally, after 10 days of fighting, the were elephant turned back into a goblin and ran lightning fast to the edge of the map, where a hunter shot him in the head with a single bolt.

So ended the were elephant rampage.

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Were Elephants be Cray
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 04:57:30 pm »

Epic

I lol'd

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 04:59:55 pm »

That ending was quite amusing

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 05:13:58 pm »

That's amazing.

I didn't know dwarves in mortal combat would take drink breaks, but it seems to fit in with their priorities.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 05:22:46 pm »

I love that after all that the hunter managed to one shot it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 05:50:52 pm »

I didn't know dwarves in mortal combat would take drink breaks, but it seems to fit in with their priorities.

I had the exact opposite experience.  Maybe it's because his dwarves were soldiers, and mine were just pissed-off civilians.  Or maybe it's because he was fighting a were-elephant and I was fighting undead hair.  Or maybe it was a bug that was fixed recently (mine were in an older 0.40 version).  I don't know.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 06:24:29 pm »

I think I know why they disengaged every so often. Every once in a while on of the military dwarves would become horrified after watching one of the were elephants limbs get gooified by a warhammer or severed (and probably even more horrifed at watching it grow back immediately). They would flee towards the fortress stairs as it was in the general opposite direction of the were elephant. I'm guessing that this is when they went for drinks. Probably to calm their nerves.

Girubev

• Bay Watcher
  • You can talk to yourself; just win the argument...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:24:49 pm »

Wait... won't severed werebeast limbs regenerate into entirely new werebeasts?

I ask because TVTropes has this gem in DF's Nightmare Fuel section: "And then there's the nice little quirk of werebeast limbs raised by necromancers regenerating entire creatures on a full moon."
Oh great, a Teddy Roosevelt Demon who can ban dwarves.
Just what you needed.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 12:05:11 am »

I can't say i've ever seen that but arent undead and Werebeast curses mutually exclusive?
Either way as you read a necomancer is required
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 01:17:05 am »

The trumpeting... The trumpeting !

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 06:20:07 am »

This and the stealth Were-Mammoth thread just make me want to try the whole were-beast military thing now that they seem somewhat more dangerous.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 08:24:28 am »

Hmm, maybe I should invest in some were-mice to scare away any were-elephants that might wander by.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 09:47:04 am »

Wait, werebeasts actively regen damage while transformed? I thought it was only by transforming that they'd heal all injuries once a month.

That's cray. This thread is hella cray.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 11:50:52 am »

Wait, werebeasts actively regen damage while transformed? I thought it was only by transforming that they'd heal all injuries once a month.

That's cray. This thread is hella cray.

I'm pretty sure that is indeed the only way to regenerate limbs...

Guylock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 04:57:15 pm »

Wait... so he promptly exploded a butchery workshop?
Were Beast terrorism much? :D
Pages: [1] 2