Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Advice on dealing with an awful, awful forgotten beast  (Read 1942 times)

dwarfkat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advice on dealing with an awful, awful forgotten beast
« on: July 31, 2014, 03:06:43 pm »

So I've got this forgotten beast made of lignite swimming around in the cavern lake. There are a number of factors conspiring to make this the single most annoying thing I have ever had to deal with in DF.

One, he is right up next to the main staircase. This would not be a problem, except that my dwarves can see him through the fortifications I stupidly carved. Also, he keeps shooting web through said fortifications. This would STILL not be a problem because my dwarves rarely go down that far and every time previous he came up near the staircase he eventually swam away, BUT I just had a battle down in the next cavern level against a fire-breather that wrecked all the shit. There are nineteen dead dwarves and the surviving loot down there, and of course everyone wants the ☼pond turtle biscuits☼.

Obviously the solution is to burrow everyone away and wait for him to leave again, hoping that the ghosts don't rise up and traumatize everyone (more) before I can get this dealt with, then blocking up the fortifications, but I am hoping for a more... permanent solution. Simply walling him off is too good for the level of annoyance this fucker has caused over the five-odd years he's been dicking around down there. So many bolts have been wasted on this asshole, there are over nine pages of them sticking out of him and at LEAST two more in the water. Just before things got really bad this last time I had over 5000, and now I'm down to 3600 (obviously some went into the firebreather, but still). Literally every part of his body is broken and cut open, and has been for some time. Clearly dying isn't in his calendar planner, but he needs to.

However the only way to kill him seems to be either tempting him onto land somehow, which I'm not sure he even does, or doing something really dwarfy. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on dealing with an awful, awful forgotten beast
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 03:14:26 pm »

Hello,

well I'm not adept at DF but if it was my game, I'd want to try installing a telephone pole into his brain : ) Do you have room to set up any siege equipment behind that fortification?

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 03:15:30 pm »

If he's in water why don't you just use magma?
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 03:23:44 pm »

Or mine out and drop a lovely chunk of ceiling onto his head.  Doesn't get much more dwarfy than that.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 04:30:42 pm »

Construct floors/walls over the old path, or use burrows to prevent dwarves from going that way.
Then build a cave-in trap on a second entrance, near the surface.  Line it with doors (even ones that don't go anywhere) as bait.
Finally, dig a new single-width path from the surface down to the cavern where he is, leaving the very last tile undug until everything is ready.
Send one dwarf to dig out the last tile, wait for the beast to start beating on the doors, press the lever on the cave-in trap.
Dead FB, time to clean up everything.
Floor over second path to caverns.
Optionally, turn FB into roasts. :)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:31:26 pm »

Doesn't lignite burn forever? I fear setting it on fire might just make it even more of a pain

I can feel your sentiment of not just wanting to wall him in.
Why not wall him in, set him on fire with magma, then use him as a !!FB web farm!!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 04:35:40 pm »

Last time I had this happen I dug a small room out in the last layer before the cavern above the offending FB, channeled out the tile directly above its preferred camping spot, and then placed a dump zone on it. Then I dumped boulders on it until it died. It was dead before the dwarves had finished dumping the boulders from the hallway I dug to make the dumping room.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 04:36:52 pm »

Lignite will burn until it wears away, which takes a few months game time IIRC.

A wooden artifact, however... That will never wear away, and continue to smoke and smolder for all time.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 04:41:03 pm »

Doesn't lignite burn forever? I fear setting it on fire might just make it even more of a pain

I can feel your sentiment of not just wanting to wall him in.
Why not wall him in, set him on fire with magma, then use him as a !!FB web farm!!

Nothing survives carbonizing, though.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 05:19:13 pm »

What if you dug out a seal aclove nearby, baited it with some kittens and made it resealable via cave in? If you do it right you have a trapped FB and a web farm. Until then I advise you dig around that layer to the lower levels, or start slabbing.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 05:46:53 pm »

You can dig a chamber with some sort of bait in it (doors, puppies, whatever) and a raising bridge to seal it shut once the FB has entered.  Leave it there forever if you wish.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

dwarfkat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 07:20:49 pm »

There's no room for siege equipment. The are above him is already a staircase all the way to the top. Dwarves have to get too close to drop things on him. And I'm not entirely sure he can walk on land, plus with this being in the middle of a massive, map-wide lake it would be a bit complicated.

So I think I'm going to go with the magma. I already have a pump stack for the forges, so that'll be easiest. And I'll have the future ability to magmaflood an area, which is always good regardless of the area.

dwarfkat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 08:55:30 pm »

THE NEW SITUATION

The magma death is about ready when I look and notice that my champion, who is one of the 20-odd dwarves stuck in webbing, is dead, killed by... a pond grabber? Said pond grabber had taken up residence where the FB Smanges was and Smanges had buggered off. I found Smanges in the biggest stack of dwarves his webbing had caused. Apparently the pond grabber had "encouraged" him to get his ass up on land. He's been beating the crap out of one of the trapped children and landed a few hits on other dwarves. This has actually been going on for a while but because I am getting spammed with SO MANY "item inaccessible" messages it's actually causing lag I had no idea.

The clusterfuck currently going on: The might of my military has cut off a hand and a foot of Smanges, but is otherwise being ineffective. The pond grabber grabbed for a marksdwarf, who dodged into the lake and now they're duking it out, winner obvious. AND I just got the message that ANOTHER forgotten beast is one ashy, miasmatic battlefield and a door away from coming up the stairs to join them.

!!FUN!!

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 09:06:00 pm »

Seal off the caverns, you can't salvage the situation down there anymore. Cut your losses.

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 09:42:36 pm »

I think that it would be a good bet that any Forgotten beasts you find can walk on land.
Pages: [1] 2